• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest Comic Series of All-Time
3 3

70 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2023 at 2:58 PM, docgo said:

Currently, it’s definitely targeted to a younger audience after being colorized and distributed to elementary/middle school libraries across the country, but I think the black and white comics from 1991 to 2004 found more of a teenage audience since the individual issues were only sold through comic shops. Give it a shot if you have the time!

Yes, Bone is absolutely worth reading!  It's the best, true "all ages" book I can think of.  I was in my 20s when it came out, but I can totally understand why it became such a big hit through Scholastic or whatever.  It's so well written and drawn. (thumbsu

On 2/15/2023 at 3:39 PM, Gonzimodo said:

Yes, Bone is absolutely worth reading!  It's the best, true "all ages" book I can think of.  I was in my 20s when it came out, but I can totally understand why it became such a big hit through Scholastic or whatever.  It's so well written and drawn. (thumbsu

I have a stack of Bone books in a box somewhere, but have yet to read an issue.    Might have to give them a try...

On 2/15/2023 at 2:40 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I have a stack of Bone books in a box somewhere, but have yet to read an issue.    Might have to give them a try...

If they’re high grade, you need to send them to me. I’ll send you the Phone Book* as a trade lol

*the one volume edition is known as the Phone Book since it’s over 1000 pages in black and white

On 2/15/2023 at 9:12 PM, musicmeta said:

maybe #68?? 

68 being Crisis on campus or do you mean 78 first Prowler ??

personally whilst there may not be a big key in that particular run there was still some fantastic covers, stories and art. 

My vote would go for X-Men the original series.

Well over 100 issues

Iconic characters and villians

Huge cultural significance

The origin story is great and the underlining being outcast theme is very compelling.

On 2/15/2023 at 5:50 PM, Doomed said:

Original X-Men only went 66 issues.

When I said 'original' I meant the first series and counted 94 and up.

On 2/15/2023 at 2:53 AM, Grendel72 said:

Serious question,  what's so special.about Four color ? Thot it was an anthology series. Is it because many first appearances were from these books. For me it would be FF or ASM for its impact on comicdom in terms of characterisation and story telling.  That's for American comics. Personally for me, lone wolf and cub ranks among the greatest comic books ever done. 

Yes, but more importantly, the OP gave his criteria for selection.  If I had a "what's your favorite comic series of all time?" question posed to me, I wouldn't pick Four Color, but that wasn't the question/criteria posed.  Based on his criteria, Four Color is a damn good selection.

1) Longevity - it ran for something like 25 years
2) Historical Significance/Contributions to Comics - it introduced tons of Disney and other characters like Rocky & Bullwinkle, Yogi Bear, The Peanuts, Bambi, Alvin & the Chipmunks to comic books.
3) Cultural Impact - just from the Disney characters, other Western characters, the Untouchables, etc., it probably blows any superhero comic out of the water outside of Batman and Superman.

Again, I'd take something like Fantastic Four for "my favorite series ever", but that wasn't really the question.  I don't think the FF has had anywhere near as much impact or contribution to comics and culture.

On 2/15/2023 at 4:47 AM, Doomed said:

(worship) with Dale Keown and Gary Frank (worship)

...plus Todd McFarlane, Jeff Purves, Adam Kubert, Deodato Jr., a Walt Simonson drawn mini-series within the regular title, and the George Perez drawn "Future Imperfect" mini-series introducing Maestro, the future Hulk!

On 2/15/2023 at 9:17 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

1st Prowler for sure.  I’d say the death of Capt Stacy in 90 is also key

For me, 90 is at least as well-written, drawn and poignant as 121 / 122. It’s a great comic.

Edited by Ken Aldred