• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YouTuber kicked out of 2 Comic Shops, Leaves Negative Reviews
1 1

165 posts in this topic

I might be in the minority here. I don't mind his videos and I enjoy seeing what folks are selling in shops or cons. I would however suggest just wear a flannel or button down shirt and place your phone in the breast pocket. High quality phones can produce some fine quality videos. I personally hate post bronze books, but his videos aren't all that troubling IMO

On 2/17/2023 at 6:08 PM, toro said:

Geez, I hope the guy comes to my LCS.  He would hate it. Not much is in order and you have to dig through boxes.  But his customers like it, they like him and he's been in business over 30 years and he is also old school and hates CGC.  I think he would probably politely ask him to leave and then break his camera and kick his behind out.

Same. 

And I would love to spend 3-4 hours digging through random boxes of books at an LCS I've never been. The thrill of the hunt and serendipitous discoveries are always a good time for me. 

On 2/17/2023 at 8:17 PM, Courageous Cat said:

I might be in the minority here. I don't mind his videos and I enjoy seeing what folks are selling in shops or cons. I would however suggest just wear a flannel or button down shirt and place your phone in the breast pocket. High quality phones can produce some fine quality videos. I personally hate post bronze books, but his videos aren't all that troubling IMO

They’re more newbsauce than nefarious, but his quest for celebrity is just gaining him a reputation as a nuisance it seems.

Jump into his latest con video at 7:30 & you’ll see what I mean.   That the dealer hosting the show refuses to deal with him speaks volumes....

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 2/17/2023 at 9:34 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Jump into his latest con video at 7:30 & you’ll see what I mean.   That the dealer hosting the show refuses to deal with him speaks volumes....

That was Big Lick Comics, I talked to them at Baltimore, some great guys. Standard grade country folk from that area, can't imagine what sort of thing you'd have to be doing to get them on your bad side.

EDIT - Watched a little bit of another video, where he talks about having the "Kung Flu." Tells me all I need to know.

Edited by ttfitz

On 2/17/2023 at 1:30 PM, Gaard said:
On 2/15/2023 at 9:20 PM, Semicentennial said:

but to get kicked out from two stores within an hour for the same reason was his own fault.

When I read this, I was reminded of something I read a long time ago...

"If you see an ahole in the morning, ok, you saw an ahole.

If you see aholes all day long, chances are you're the ahole."

arrgh - this is so true.

On 2/17/2023 at 7:43 PM, greggy said:
On 2/17/2023 at 7:40 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Was there fisticuffs?:slapfight:

No, just angry yelling by Bob that stopped everyone else in their tracks that were close by the area. 

And woke you from your nap in the booth? :grin:

On 2/17/2023 at 1:30 PM, Gaard said:
On 2/15/2023 at 9:20 PM, Semicentennial said:

but to get kicked out from two stores within an hour for the same reason was his own fault.

When I read this, I was reminded of something I read a long time ago...

"If you see an ahole in the morning, ok, you saw an ahole.

If you see aholes all day long, chances are you're the ahole."

Just curious - if we see greggys all day long, are we...., ????

2250DF29-B076-4913-B417-F0C408748065.jpeg.e7404fbcbcd792dcbc10ca2d77c8077e.jpeg.4da49094d031f0409138bdc62f60e2b8.jpeg

You don't understand - in any way - why a bunch of comic collectors and dealers think what you've done to that business resulted in a virtual azz whooping? Man, If I were your dad, I'd have nerve damage from all the head slappin' I would have done on you.

DeadBoilingHedgehog-max-1mb.gif.699922271c1c64e1473667acfaebadd4.gif

There's some really good YouTube comic guys out there - Very Gary's been mentioned, Swagglehaus, Regie Collects, love James "Minthunter's" stuff - I've watched some of Stinkygoose's also, and have enjoyed some. It was the YouTube collectors that got me back in comics, to be honest with you.

Anyway, I watched this one last night and, yeah, it's kind of cringe. I agree that you should really show deference to the shop owner with regards to filming (ask first, always).

On 2/18/2023 at 1:41 PM, minutekev@50 said:

There's some really good YouTube comic guys out there - Very Gary's been mentioned, Swagglehaus, Regie Collects, love James "Minthunter's" stuff - I've watched some of Stinkygoose's also, and have enjoyed some. It was the YouTube collectors that got me back in comics, to be honest with you.

Anyway, I watched this one last night and, yeah, it's kind of cringe. I agree that you should really show deference to the shop owner with regards to filming (ask first, always).

He comes across okay when he's just discussing comics or his collection, or is just doing a general tour at a convention.  I think it comes down to the pitfalls of what happens when you set yourself up as a critic-at-large.  I had the same problem in high school when for awhile I was the movie critic on a school newspaper.  I would intentionally go to review movies I knew I wasn't going to like, because it was a lot more fun to write a snarky review than to praise a film.  Of course, my reviews weren't going to matter to Hollywood, or affect their business in any way, so a bit different. 

But I get the tendency to go in that direction once you've decided to review something...  whether it's a restaurant, entertainment, or a business.  And nobody has a problem when one critiques, even harshly, a big corporation or a chain, because expectations are higher to begin with, and they can afford to do things right.  I think the "cringe" comes when we see someone tear into specific individuals or small single-owner operations... those who don't have broad business backgrounds, or simply don't have the capital to make a place the way they themselves might prefer.