• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHOOSE ONE
2 2

56 posts in this topic

My top 5 would have Everett at the top. Schomburg didn’t do interiors and Everett’s genre covers are better than Alex’s (AS did blow everyone away for WWII superhero covers including Kirby by far).  Krigstein makes my list as he did all genres and would have been Frank Miller three decades early.   My cheat votes would be for Foster or Sickles. 

On 2/16/2023 at 2:17 PM, Funnybooks said:

There would be a total of about 12 comics in the entire medium if Frazetta was the only artist :insane: based on his history of speed and desire. 

That's 11 more than Raboy would finish...

On 2/15/2023 at 10:34 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

So all the comics we’ve come to know and love in all genres (superhero, horror, sci-fi, etc…) would still be created, but only by this one artist, and in their style. With the options below, who do you choose?

Everett's my favorite artist so this is an easy question to answer.

Nor do we have to "imagine" how he would do as, from the stirrings of the GA to the Atlas implosion, Everett handled everything from superhero to war and from jungle to western.

I'm not committed to this answer, but I'll throw it out there..  I've always thought it was a tragedy that Baker didn't live to see the super hero era. 

I'll go with Baker. 

Edit - I reread this only applies to GA. 

I'd still make the strong case for Baker, but to heck with it. I'll go with Xela   

Edited by KCOComics

On 2/17/2023 at 8:11 AM, Ironic said:

This is one reason he's overrated (thumbsu

in all seriousness...yes, it's a strike against Schomburg. However, he was one of the most prolific cover artist of his time and it was the covers that sold golden age comic books. I don't believe anyone did it better than Schomburg in this respect.

Edited by Funnybooks

On 2/15/2023 at 10:34 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Let’s play a game. Assume we lived in an alternate universe where only one of the great artists from the golden age existed, all the way back to Action 1.

So all the comics we’ve come to know and love in all genres (superhero, horror, sci-fi, etc…) would still be created, but only by this one artist, and in their style. With the options below, who do you choose?

- Alex Schomburg

- Lou Fine

- Frank Frazetta

- L.B. Cole

- Jack Kirby

- Dan Zolnerowich

- Other (choose someone else)

It would depend on whether there were a surviving writer to assist him. So far as I know, most of those guys were only artists, not artists and writers. I think Kirby is the only one of those who was known for both writing and artwork, but his GA artwork was not great. Some of the most talented guys from that era who could write and draw, such as Alex Raymond, primarily did strip work, not original comic book work.

Carl Barks, Fletcher Hanks, Jack Cole, and Will Eisner come to mind as creators who both wrote and illustrated original comic book material. I'm sure that others here could name many more.

Out of those, it would be down to Barks or Eisner. I will defer making an actual decision until that scenario presents itself in real life.

On 2/17/2023 at 5:34 AM, Funnybooks said:

However, he was one of the most prolific cover artist of his time and it was the covers that sold golden age comic books. 

It sells them now.  Back then kids cared about the interiors. Many pics of kids reading comics in stores.  That’s why the most popular titles back then included series which today are not prized for their covers that much.

On 2/17/2023 at 8:52 AM, sfcityduck said:

It sells them now.  Back then kids cared about the interiors. Many pics of kids reading comics in stores.  That’s why the most popular titles back then included series which today are not prized for their covers that much.

I agree. Barks and C. C. Beck both had great interior art—and great stories in Barks' case—but their covers really didn't stand out. (Many of Beck's covers were as boring as all get out.)