• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHOOSE ONE
2 2

56 posts in this topic

Alex Schomburg is my vote (and I love Kirby).

Since he was a commercial artist doing large advertising for companies like Sanka Coffee and film previews, he would do as many as 9 covers in a week. And, yes, Schomburg did do interiors (check Capt Daring story in USA  7) - just not often because he was hired by several publishers to primarily draw covers. 

9E616513-CDAB-463A-9D94-9EC5C1FF7B5F.jpeg

Edited by Primetime

On 2/17/2023 at 9:36 AM, Primetime said:

Alex Schomburg is my vote (and I love Kirby).

Since he was a commercial artist doing large advertising for companies like Sanka Coffee and film previews, he would do as many as 9 covers in a week. And, yes, Schomburg did do interiors (check Capt Daring story in USA  7) - just not often because he was hired by several publishers to primarily draw covers. 

9E616513-CDAB-463A-9D94-9EC5C1FF7B5F.jpeg

His Better/Nedor covers were much less detailed than his covers for Timely. Was he paid significantly less for those covers? I'm curious to know what would account for the vast differences in effort.

On 2/17/2023 at 7:07 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

His Better/Nedor covers were much less detailed than his covers for Timely. Was he paid significantly less for those covers? I'm curious to know what would account for the vast differences in effort.

Good question. I know he started working for Better (not doing comic covers yet) way before Timely. Goodman liked him as evidenced by hiring Schomburg to do many of his early covers (Daring Mystery 1-5, Marvel Mystery 3-11) over any pulp artist (Frank R. Paul) that he had easy access to. I believe Goodman paid him well, as Timely was the Wild West and Goodman liked high impact, bloody, anti Axis themed covers. Alex liked radios and mechanical objects and became a master at detailing tanks, bridges, planes, etc. Schomburg was also in his mid 30s when Pearl Harbor broke out, so he was too old to be drafted. Many other artists (Kirby, Simon) were still young enough to be drafted. Thus, Schomburg was left to do a lot of the covers - a major war effort contribution on his part. 

Edited by Primetime

On 2/17/2023 at 7:23 AM, KCOComics said:

I'm not committed to this answer, but I'll throw it out there..  I've always thought it was a tragedy that Baker didn't live to see the super hero era. 

I'll go with Baker. 

Edit - I reread this only applies to GA. 

I'd still make the strong case for Baker, but to heck with it. I'll go with Xela   

Schomburg and Baker are the defining cornerstones when it comes to GA. Hardly a debate.

On 2/16/2023 at 6:43 PM, Mmehdy said:

Frazetta....hands down...200 years from now people will know his name, Kirby close second

He was versatile, and could draw in a more cartoony style as well, such as his work on L'il Abner.

On 2/18/2023 at 1:52 PM, Yorick said:

I don't recall it having the Happy Comics material, but I'll look through my copy again....

The Nedor stuff might all be absent, now that you mention it. It does contain all of his most famous covers and complete reprints of his romance stories, Thunda 1 and many others.

Edited by Ryan.

On 2/16/2023 at 11:22 AM, KirbyJack said:

Hard for me to imagine anyone other than Jack Kirby being able to excel in all of those genres. 

But since we’re assuming that somehow everything still gets created, let’s go further. Let’s give ourselves a world where Wally Wood has only good days, and unlimited artistic ambition. I’d love to see that alternate universe.

Boy tough question.  Kirby's art to me was that his character's in the GA were a bit thin and tall - sort of stretched. 

Alex Schomberg really represents the era best imo, Baker the GGA, Carl Barks the story teller and Frank Frazetta really the Sci-Fri artist truly emerged later.

Edited by path4play