• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess the grade!
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Good evening kids!

This is just an exercise in self-satisfaction that I'm not completely nuts, and that I do have a decent idea of grading after being in this hobby for some years.

Long story short, I received a number of books back from CGC. Many were bang-on, a few were up a grade, a few were down..... but THIS ONE was the interesting one!

Here are the pictures, and I freely accept the foxing on the rear cover. Pages are CR/OW. Book is from March 1957

Grader notes are:  foxing to cover
                                                  light creasing to cover
                                                  light wear all corners of cover

Look at the pictures, review the faults I've marked in RED, and....guess the grade!!!

kk33asmall.jpg

kk33bsmall.jpg

kk33csmall.jpg

kk33dsmall.jpg

kk33esmall.jpg

kk33fsmall.jpg

kk33gsmall.jpg

kk33hsmall.jpg

kk33ismall.jpg

kk33jsmall.jpg

6.5 hm

On 2/17/2023 at 10:11 AM, EastEnd1 said:

There's a bit of foxing but looks light... other defects are minimal.  I'd say 7.0.

Light?  If the graders notes didn’t mention the foxing, I’d think those were heavy stains on the back cover.

Well, I learned something today, I'll admit.  I did not realize that foxing would have such an impact on the book's general grade.

It was very surprising to pull this out of a large CGC box next to 6, 7's and 8's that looked noticeably worse than this 6.5.   Good call for all of the people saying 6.5 -  but I liked Grandelbo's the best!  

And the foxing killed grades on a number of very nice books, I think. A number of very clean, pretty 6's 6.5 and 7 slabs were returned to me.