• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest Comic Limited or Miniseries of All-Time
1 1

72 posts in this topic

SHANNA THE SHE-DEVIL ... CHO

RONIN ... MILLER

DKR ... MILLER

ALL STAR SUPERMAN ... QUITELY

WEAPON X ... BWS

... off the top of my head. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

1.) Watchmen

2.) Kingdom Come

3.) The Dark Knight Returns

4.) Marvels

Edited by Azkaban

Watchmen, without peer, obviously, and undisputedly outside the hobby.

Other contenders for distant second could include Ronin, From Hell, and Moonshadow.

We’re doing greatest, folks, not favorite. There’s a difference so let’s try to be discerning about the distinction between “superhero stuff I thought was cool when I was a kid” and “this might not be my cup of tea but it’s obviously thematically ambitious and aspiring to literary/artistic merit.”

On 2/19/2023 at 10:05 AM, BitterOldMan said:

Alan Moore’s League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 1st Series, which had so many inside British jokes, that I did not understand the first time I read it.

I loved the movie... I've worn out more than one disc. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Kingdom Come - for me, if I re-read it more than once, it had a great storyline and art. This checked those boxes. Thought it was the best series in the 90's

Miller's Dark Knight - not a huge fan of Miller's art but love his layout style and story. Gripping and set a tone for Batman for decades

Punisher LS

Marvel Secret Wars

Watchmen

Machine Man LS (4 issues)

The Dark Knight Returns

Sin City

Prisoner (DC 1988)

Wolverine LS

(*chock*) Amethyst Princess of Gemworld (1983-84)

https://www.cbr.com/best-comics-less-than-20-issues/#watchmen-is-still-one-of-the-greatest-comics-of-all-time

https://www.connect2mason.com/content/top-10-comic-book-mini-series

On 2/19/2023 at 10:08 AM, JTLarsen said:

Watchmen, without peer, obviously, and undisputedly outside the hobby.

Other contenders for distant second could include Ronin, From Hell, and Moonshadow.

We’re doing greatest, folks, not favorite. There’s a difference so let’s try to be discerning about the distinction between “superhero stuff I thought was cool when I was a kid” and “this might not be my cup of tea but it’s obviously thematically ambitious and aspiring to literary/artistic merit.”

I was 16 when Watchmen was published and I purchased each issue from my LCS monthly.  So I was just the right age to really be into comics and understand more mature storytelling.

HOWEVER, Watchmen was about as interesting as watching paint dry.  I tried again 10 years later, and yet again when the movie was released.  My opinion has not changed, so tell me, what’s the big deal about Watchmen?  What makes it interesting, the ‘best’ mini series, etc?

On 2/19/2023 at 12:12 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I was 16 when Watchmen was published and I purchased each issue from my LCS monthly.  So I was just the right age to really be into comics and understand more mature storytelling.

HOWEVER, Watchmen was about as interesting as watching paint dry.  I tried again 10 years later, and yet again when the movie was released.  My opinion has not changed, so tell me, what’s the big deal about Watchmen?  What makes it interesting, the ‘best’ mini series, etc?

Pretty sure the internet is filled with accolades making the case for this better than I could. Time magazine I believe named it one of the best 100 novels of the 20th century. Not graphic novels. Novels.