• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little Giant Comics Old School Comic Show - April 15, 2023 - Concord, NH
3 3

46 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2023 at 8:06 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

I think many of the dealers present didn't get the memo that post-pandemic prices have dropping.

Speaking of, there was one dealer discussing with another how he couldn't sell an ASM 129 because the current fair market value is lower than what he paid for the book. He, therefore, has no choice but to hold out to get his price. I guess that's the balance dealers will need to decide for themselves: profitability versus inventory turn.

A lot of dealers wanted slabbed prices for raw books, there's no guarantee that if slabbed, the customer is getting the assigned grade the seller sells it to you as. I've seen sellers who want double GPA for raw books and don't even put grades on them, That's ok though, they can take it back home with them :canofworms: If sellers want graded prices for stuff, then they should get it graded.  

Edited by Kevin76

On 4/16/2023 at 6:54 PM, g-man said:

Glad I skipped it and enjoyed a round of golf instead. 

I did exactly the same. Seeing the pricing comments, I guess I chose wisely. 

I will have to get out to this show next year for sure though.

On 4/16/2023 at 5:06 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

I think many of the dealers present didn't get the memo that post-pandemic prices have been dropping.

maybe 8-9 months ago there was a book i wanted on a dealers website. it was overpriced and i offered an over-market price but lower than ask. dealer politely told me he was into it for more than that and so passed. fast forward to 2 months ago, i check the site, and the book is now 32% cheaper than before. so i bought it. 

it must be very tough to be a dealer in times like these. when markets are up, (2021) if you price right, you can make a killing. but most folks need cash flow too, so unless they can live now on what they made a year and a half ago, they must lower prices sometimes past what they paid for books. i'm not a dealer but i have had to do that too this year on several books to raise cash to fund a purchase. some dealers slowly come down to reality, some faster than others. with all of the online selling competition these days, that process seems like it ought to be quicker. but re-pricing hundreds or thousands of books is a time consuming process. it's understandable if the sticker price is out of date. hopefully the good guys are open to market realities and willing to talk pricing at shows. 

On 4/17/2023 at 4:04 PM, alexgross.com said:

it must be very tough to be a dealer in times like these.

Businesses are like furnaces, always consuming, so cash flow is important. From what Reece’s comics said and confirmed by this photo surely they can make up for any individual comic losses with volume, n’est pas?  

Looked like a great event. Next year I’m definitely going to make it. 

B944AA09-6553-481B-90FC-2464A7F26158.jpeg

On 4/16/2023 at 8:12 AM, Ryan. said:

Speaking of, there was one dealer discussing with another how he couldn't sell an ASM 129 because the current fair market value is lower than what he paid for the book. He, therefore, has no choice but to hold out to get his price. I guess that's the balance dealers will need to decide for themselves: profitability versus inventory turn.

I did the SC con this weekend and honestly I’m in the same boat. I repriced all my inventory to around current fmv. Many books I put out were upto 20% or more below my cost. Any that I was 25% or more upside down I left at home and will have to ride out. So I’m trying to balance turn versus hold. This was my first con since June 2022, so totally my fault for not keeping up with market. 

On 4/17/2023 at 6:57 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I must’ve been looking at buying other stuff.  I was thrilled with the GA.  To be fair, I was not looking for silver or bronze keys, so maybe that’s where the “high” prices were for the most part.  I had a blast and will be making the show my yearly out of town trip.  

I bought the best Timely I’ve ever owned. 

Well-were-waiting GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY