• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do "Raymond Miller" Copies get Pedigree labels?
1 1

34 posts in this topic

I was going thru some comics today and pulled out my V-Comics 1.

I noticed it was stamped on the splash page "Property of Raymond Miller"

After a quick google search I discovered he was prominent in early fandom (I'm not familiar with him).

Does CGC recognize his comics in any special way?

IMG_5802.jpeg

IMG_5803.jpeg

On 2/23/2023 at 8:00 PM, gadzukes said:

I wonder if they put a notation on the label.  Maybe if I asked them to.

You could ask, but then they'd have to do it for everyone. We'd end up with "Property of Dave the milkman" and "Property of tall Barry". That kind of thing. 

On 2/23/2023 at 11:31 AM, gadzukes said:

I noticed it was stamped on the splash page "Property of Raymond Miller"

After a quick google search I discovered he was prominent in early fandom (I'm not familiar with him).

Like you, I am also not familiar with who Raymond Miller is and his connection to early comic book fandom.  (shrug)

On 2/23/2023 at 12:00 PM, gadzukes said:

I wonder if they put a notation on the label.  Maybe if I asked them to.

My thinking is that since most boardies here have heard of Bob Overstreet and his connection to not only early comic book fandom, but also to his ongoing and  continuing influence to both the comic book hobby and marketplace for the past 50+ years and yet CGC does NOT recognize the books from his immense and impressive personal collection, I very much highly doubt they would do it for Raymond Miller.  :bigsmile:

On 2/23/2023 at 7:20 PM, lou_fine said:

Like you, I am also not familiar with who Raymond Miller is and his connection to early comic book fandom.  (shrug)

My thinking is that since most boardies here have heard of Bob Overstreet and his connection to not only early comic book fandom, but also to his ongoing and  continuing influence to both the comic book hobby and marketplace for the past 50+ years and yet CGC does NOT recognize the books from his immense and impressive personal collection, I very much highly doubt they would do it for Raymond Miller.  :bigsmile:

I might be misremembering.... but I seem to recall seeing some CGC labels in the past that had notes about specific collections (not pedigree)

On 2/23/2023 at 4:44 PM, gadzukes said:

I might be misremembering.... but I seem to recall seeing some CGC labels in the past that had notes about specific collections (not pedigree)

No, you are remembering correctly, as they do have several named, but non-pedigree collections listed on their labels.  :)

One of the most recognizable ones and a perfect example would be books labeled as "From The Collection of Nicholas Cage".  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

I know they wouldn’t recognize the Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead) collection even with full disclosure and documentation by Bonham’s Auction House when they sold a lot of his equipment and personal effects. The other guys across town were more than happy to do it.

I am familiar with Raymond Miller and his collection. I believe I still have a few examples. CGC does not recognize his collection. 

On 2/23/2023 at 8:00 PM, Robot Man said:

I know they wouldn’t recognize the Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead) collection even with full disclosure and documentation by Bonham’s Auction House when they sold a lot of his equipment and personal effects. The other guys across town were more than happy to do it.

I am familiar with Raymond Miller and his collection. I believe I still have a few examples. CGC does not recognize his collection. 

Well..... when I sell this comic I will definitely disclose the provenance as I think it enhances the history of the comic.

I doubt I will slab it because Ray did some resto to the spine.

Can you prove that it was the Raymond Miller (whomever you are referring to) and not some other Raymond Miller from the time ?

Guessing Raymond Miller is a pretty common name, not like if it had a name stamp Property of Eldon Dedini or something.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 2/23/2023 at 9:01 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Can you prove that it was the Raymond Miller (whomever you are referring to) and not some other Raymond Miller from the time ?

Guessing Raymond Miller is a pretty common name, not like if it had a name stamp Property of Eldon Dedini or something.

I suppose that's a good question but... It's got some funky old school resto on the spine and from what I've read he pioneered some early resto techniques.  I think other people could probably verify the name stamp but I'm pretty sure it's him.

On 2/23/2023 at 11:40 PM, gadzukes said:

I think other people could probably verify the name stamp but I'm pretty sure it's him.

It's him. His collection was extensive and the books are floating around quite a bit carrying that same stamp.

On 2/23/2023 at 8:44 PM, Scrooge said:
On 2/23/2023 at 8:40 PM, gadzukes said:

I think other people could probably verify the name stamp but I'm pretty sure it's him.

It's him. His collection was extensive and the books are floating around quite a bit carrying that same stamp.

So, similar in vein to Dupchak's rather infamous Eastern Color File Copies for the very early SA Marvels which all had the "File Copy" stamp on the splash page, but the books themselves unfortunately were all trimmed.  :facepalm:  :mad:  :censored:

@CGC Mike I’ve always wondered about this. Do you know the backstory as to why they would not? Seems odd given they did it for Nic Cage books. 

• Administrator
On 2/24/2023 at 8:35 PM, Readcomix said:

@CGC Mike I’ve always wondered about this. Do you know the backstory as to why they would not? Seems odd given they did it for Nic Cage books. 

I can try to find out the criteria needed to get a "from the collection of" notation on the label.  I probably won't have an answer until Monday.  

On 2/24/2023 at 8:52 PM, CGC Mike said:

I can try to find out the criteria needed to get a "from the collection of" notation on the label.  I probably won't have an answer until Monday.  

I just appreciate the effort! I think it’s a horrible oversight, unless I’m missing some key fact(s). @Robot Man @grendelbo FYI about Mike’s awesome inquiry on this topic. (I’m sure I missed some others from the Jerry Garcia collection thread.)

Edited by Readcomix
Typo

• Administrator
On 2/24/2023 at 9:00 PM, Readcomix said:

I just appreciate the effort! I think it’s a horrible oversight, unless I’m missing some key fact(s). @Robot Man @grendelbo FYI about Mike’s awesome inquiry on this topic. (I’m sure I missed some others from the Jerry Garcia collection thread.)

I sent screenshots, a link to the thread, mentioned we did it for Cage, Joe and Nadia etc...  They have plenty of info.  Hopefully, the criteria needed will be supplied to me.  

On 2/24/2023 at 9:07 PM, CGC Mike said:

I sent screenshots, a link to the thread, mentioned we did it for Cage, Joe and Nadia etc...  They have plenty of info.  Hopefully, the criteria needed will be supplied to me.  

Because I can’t use emojis on your posts, I need to quote you and say “You rock!” Thank you Mike! (worship)