• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help! How can I find out comics from Apr 1975?

19 posts in this topic

Folks,

I bought my first stack of comics with cover dates of Apr 1975. The issues I still have from that trip to the local small-town grocery store are Man-Thing 16, Fantastic Four 157, Captain America 184, and Dare-Devil 120. I either bought two or four additional comics, but I'm just not sure. I would like to try and figure out what the other copies were, and I bet if I could see the covers, I could figure it out. I have the Gerber comic cover books, but that would be tough going through all the non-Marvel issues...

Any ideas on how to access a database that I could sort for covers with Apr 1975 cover dates?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

V/R,

Mike

...all the non-Marvel issues...

Any ideas on how to access a database that I could sort for covers with Apr 1975 cover dates?

V/R,

Mike

Here's a great site for DC Comics, listed by year. Then a cover gallery for each month of the year you select. thumbsup2.gif

http://www.dcindexes.com/covers1/timemachine.php

Here's April 1975:

http://www.dcindexes.com/covers1/timemachine/coverdate.php?year=1975&month=4

Wow, great site for DCs. Does anyone know of a similar site for other publishers? For some reason when I bought those first comics, I didn't buy any DCs--at least none that I can remember or that I recognize. I have no idea why I didn't pick up any DCs--maybe I was just lucky! No offense to DC lovers...

V/R,

Mike

Don't most Marvel issues have checklists of comics that came out the same month?

Nope, that was during the period where Marvel stopped including checklists in the BB, and then later in 1976, that decision was reversed.

For Marvel all you need to do is to open up one of those April 75' issues and peek inside for a Marvel checklist.

boo.gif

And all you need to do is read the previous replies, before making yourself out like a tool who thinks only himself could have thought of something so inventive as opening a comic book. grin.gif

Yes I have gone through the Photo Journals for the Marvels. I believe I may have bought a couple non Marvel/DC comics. I just am not sure as I was only in fifth grade! Any ideas aside from going through the non-Marvel Photo Journals? Not an easy task...

What other publishers were putting out comics then? I don't mean Archies or funny books.

V/R,

Mike

Folks,

I bought my first stack of comics with cover dates of Apr 1975. The issues I still have from that trip to the local small-town grocery store are Man-Thing 16, Fantastic Four 157, Captain America 184, and Dare-Devil 120. I either bought two or four additional comics, but I'm just not sure. I would like to try and figure out what the other copies were, and I bet if I could see the covers, I could figure it out. I have the Gerber comic cover books, but that would be tough going through all the non-Marvel issues...

V/R,

Mike

Jeez. It took me forever to find this from an earlier post.

This is a great site for what you're looking for. thumbsup2.gif

Marvel Comics By the Month they Came Out

Jeez. It took me forever to find this from an earlier post.

This is a great site for what you're looking for. thumbsup2.gif

Marvel Comics By the Month they Came Out

Thanks for the link. I've been trying to find this site again for quite some time. Note though...it shouldn't be looked at as a complete database. I was looking for issues in the early 70s and noted a couple of omissions. It's close though...

Jim

For Marvel all you need to do is to open up one of those April 75' issues and peek inside for a Marvel checklist.

boo.gif

And all you need to do is read the previous replies, before making yourself out like a tool who thinks only himself could have thought of something so inventive as opening a comic book. grin.gif

what about Stan's soapbox or notes from the bullpen? those comrhensive enough to compile a listing?

Here's what Marvel put out that month. Nothing too crazy in there. You should be able to find all of them pretty easily.

Amazing Spider-Man 143

Astonishing Tales 29

Avengers 134

Captain America 184

Conan the Barbarian 49

Daredevil 120

Dead of Night 9

Defenders 22

Doctor Strange 7

Fantastic Four 157

Fear 27

Ghost Rider 11

Giant-Size Conan 3

Giant-Size Defenders 4

Giant-Size Kid Colt 2

Giant-Size Spider-Man 4

Giant-Size Werewolf 4

Incredible Hulk 186

Journey Into Mystery (Vol. 2) 16

Kid Colt Outlaw 193

Man-Thing (Vol. 1) 16

Marvel Double Feature 9

Marvel Spotlight (Vol. 1) 21

Marvel Tales 58

Marvel Team-Up 32

Master Of Kung Fu 27

Mighty Marvel Western 38

Night Rider 4

Our Love Story 33

Outlaw Kid 27

Power Man 24

Spidey Super Stories 7

Strange Tales 179

Supernatural Thrillers 12

Thor 234

Tomb of Dracula 31

Two-Gun Kid 123

Uncanny Tales 9

Vault of Evil 18

War Is Hell 12

Weird Wonder Tales 9

Werewolf By Night 28

X-Men 93

Thanks for this handy list! Do you know how to locate comics other than DCs and Marvels?

V/R,

Mike

There's simply no easy way but to go through your OSPG with your eyes peeled for each comic entry. It goes faster than you can think as you know some books were not published around that era.

The hard part comes after that, in order to find the correct issue number you might need for a particular title. That information is not available in OSPG but you should be able to find it either on the GCD and the Krause / CBG checklist / price guide which list dates with the books.