• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

10k to spend on Spider-Man Books
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Hey everyone ,

I am selling some stuff and will have 10k to reinvest in comics. I need your thoughts and opinions about what i should do. 

I am trying to decide if i should buy a low grade ASM #1 , like a 1.5-2.0 , or if i want to use the money to buy a few books like a lower/mid grade ASM #14 , #129 , and possibly a Spider-Man 1 CGC 9.8 SS signed by both Stan Lee and Todd McFarlane. Not too knowledgeable about signature values but for me personally i grew up with McFarlane stuff and i know Stan's sig is not rare but when paired with Todd's i think is pretty dope and rare .

What option will age better over the long term so when my kids cash in my books when i die they can get the most? :)

Thanks so much !

Spidey is the most collected run.  Most collectors have been priced out of AF15s and you can't have a complete run without #1.  Always buy the biggest book first, if it goes up in price it will hurt the most (ala if it goes up 20% that is 2k, if the other books go up 20% thats only a few hundred).

I don't want to turn this into a sales thread but if you need a #1 we've got a 2.0 right in your pricepoint ;) 

On 2/25/2023 at 2:23 PM, yoda12288 said:

Hey everyone ,

I am selling some stuff and will have 10k to reinvest in comics. I need your thoughts and opinions about what i should do. 

I am trying to decide if i should buy a low grade ASM #1 , like a 1.5-2.0 , or if i want to use the money to buy a few books like a lower/mid grade ASM #14 , #129 , and possibly a Spider-Man 1 CGC 9.8 SS signed by both Stan Lee and Todd McFarlane. Not too knowledgeable about signature values but for me personally i grew up with McFarlane stuff and i know Stan's sig is not rare but when paired with Todd's i think is pretty dope and rare .

What option will age better over the long term so when my kids cash in my books when i die they can get the most? :)

Thanks so much !

There’s an ASM 1 CGC 2.5 on mycomicshop for less than $10K.

On 2/25/2023 at 8:59 PM, Iceman399 said:

Spidey is the most collected run.  Most collectors have been priced out of AF15s and you can't have a complete run without #1.  Always buy the biggest book first, if it goes up in price it will hurt the most (ala if it goes up 20% that is 2k, if the other books go up 20% thats only a few hundred).

I don't want to turn this into a sales thread but if you need a #1 we've got a 2.0 right in your pricepoint ;) 

I totally agree. 

That's been my thought process all along. But I have recently wondered about what the long term potential of a Spider-Man 1 CGC 9.8 signed by both Stan and Todd can be. Even though Lee signed so many books I do feel like his sig is demanding more of a premium and when combined with other creators like McFarlane it's even more rare. Also, the cultural significance of such a book and the fact that many collectors that are my age now (40) are such huge fans of this book and how it hits that nostalgia sweet spot for collectors my age. 

What's your shop? I need wait for a few other things to sell but I'm def interested in checking your copy out. 

Thanks for the input, everyone! It's helped a lot!

On 2/26/2023 at 10:28 AM, yoda12288 said:

I totally agree. 

That's been my thought process all along. But I have recently wondered about what the long term potential of a Spider-Man 1 CGC 9.8 signed by both Stan and Todd can be. Even though Lee signed so many books I do feel like his sig is demanding more of a premium and when combined with other creators like McFarlane it's even more rare. Also, the cultural significance of such a book and the fact that many collectors that are my age now (40) are such huge fans of this book and how it hits that nostalgia sweet spot for collectors my age. 

What's your shop? I need wait for a few other things to sell but I'm def interested in checking your copy out. 

Thanks for the input, everyone! It's helped a lot!

I think Spidey 1 9.8 SS is a good book.  It's not a great book when compared to ASM 1.  Yes Stan and Todd have both signed kajillions of copies of books and there will always be demand.  My question would be if a double signed copy goes up in value will others be "forced" to chase it or are there alternatives.  ASM 1 is ASM1 you can't have a run, you can't have JJJ 1st appearance, you can't have the #1 without Spidey 1.  If you want a double signed book by stan and todd you have LOTS to choose from.  Of course history is not always correct but it does lead to some indicators.
Stan passed in 2018.  Since 2018 Spidey GOLDS have been worth (excluding the run up during covid) about $1000.  It's now hovering around $1500.  In that same time period ASM 1 was worth about 4k, now hovering around 8-9k, I'd expect that the asm1 outpaces the Spidey 1990s.  Believe me I get the appeal of the SS books between myself and one other we spent almost 30k with McFarlane signing, both for short term and long term gains.  

Honestly, I've never been a fan of ASM #1 - if you can't get AF15 then I honestly think investing in a very nice ASM2 and some other issues you like might be better. ASM2 is a great key; his third appearance as well as the firsts of two decent MCU villains, and an amazing vivid cover that pops (but I reaalllly hate the #1 cover, so I'm highly biased)

Not to be boring, but agree with ASM1. 

As for the signed 9.8, allot of collectors won't look at signature series book.  They don't like big blotches of scribbled ink over the art work.

I'm a SA collector and own very few signed books, so I'm likely biased.  But from an investment stand point and the magnitude of importance, it's ASM1 and not very close. 

On 3/3/2023 at 3:01 AM, KCOComics said:

Not to be boring, but agree with ASM1. 

As for the signed 9.8, allot of collectors won't look at signature series book.  They don't like big blotches of scribbled ink over the art work.

I'm a SA collector and own very few signed books, so I'm likely biased.  But from an investment stand point and the magnitude of importance, it's ASM1 and not very close. 

While it's "to each his own" in my opinion, I also am not a "signature series" collector.  If the OP is buying with an eye toward a future profitable sale (i.e. an "investment"), you want to look for a book that has the largest possible future market. Those who would buy a signed book are a subset of the total market for a book.