• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current Cover Artists Who May Be Remembered Like The GA Greats (Schomberg, Fine, Baker et al)
3 3

95 posts in this topic

What are your current favorite Cover Artists that you think people will be debating and collecting (just for the covers) like the GA Artists that are popular and have remained so 70 years after the fact? 

I think Jock will be one as he already has an iconic Cover in Detective Comics 880. Another two I think will be J.Scott Campbell and Adam Hughes as they have that GGA feel in the vein of Matt Baker.

Thoughts?

Detective_Comics_Vol_1_880.jpg

E3TLldyVUAAKw9A.jpeg

EEN5VkpXoAMHEeS.jpeg

On 2/25/2023 at 5:59 PM, Krydel4 said:

What are your current favorite Cover Artists that you think people will be debating and collecting (just for the covers) like the GA Artists that are popular and have remained so 70 years after the fact? 

I think Jock will be one as he already has an iconic Cover in Detective Comics 880. Another two I think will be J.Scott Campbell and Adam Hughes as they have that GGA feel in the vein of Matt Baker.

Thoughts?

Detective_Comics_Vol_1_880.jpg

E3TLldyVUAAKw9A.jpeg

EEN5VkpXoAMHEeS.jpeg

Curious as to how much do cover artists today rely on computer graphics to enhance their art?

J Scott Campbell.

He is the true maker of the Cover Artist. 

Followed closely by Michael Turner and Adam Hughes. 

Aside from that, I think we all have our personal favourites. 

I like Manara. Others like Dell’otto…

But I think the 3 mentioned above will be the 3 pillars. 

On 2/26/2023 at 12:06 PM, Tnexus said:

Dude literally draws his wife's face on every cover now.

I agree, his cover work has been extremely weak and disappointing. 

It’s quite clear he managed to capitalize on his star power to maximum leverage. 

I would also go so far as to say that he comes off as lazy. 

That being said, I am still very much a huge fan of his Danger Girl work back at Cliffhanger! to which he made sure to put his best foot forward. It’s his best work and the pinnacle of J Scott Campbell talent. 

Those days are gone. He will never devote himself like that to a book again. 

On 2/26/2023 at 4:15 PM, Math Teacher said:

I would like to put a vote in for Bruce Timm.

Good alternative for a more cartoony style. You’d also have to consider Darwyn Cooke.

J. Scott Campbell, Adam Hughes, Michael Turner, Mark Schultz and Dave Stevens would place above the good girl artists of the 1940s and 1950s (Lubbers, Baker, Doolin, Kamen, Schomburg, etc.). They would even give the romance artists of the Silver and early Bronze Ages (Pike, Estrada, Cardy, Jones, etc.) a run for their money.