• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current Cover Artists Who May Be Remembered Like The GA Greats (Schomberg, Fine, Baker et al)
3 3

95 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2023 at 5:00 PM, Pizza Boy said:

Then he doesn't go on this list! lol

Do I hear a vote for Joe Mad or Humberto Ramos too? lol

J Scott Campbell, like it or not, before he started phoning it in, had the most eye catching variants in the game, which is why he is king. And why he has, I would wager, the most in wanted variants over any other artist. 

On 2/26/2023 at 11:26 AM, bronze johnny said:

I asked the OP but will now raise it with others: how much do cover artists today rely on computer graphics to enhance their art?

All comics have been computer enhanced since the mid to late 90s when digital coloring started. Also many artists do their sketching and drawing on tablets and forgo traditional pencil to paper. I know Artgerm primarily draws his covers in the digital realm. I'm not sure why the medium used by the artist matters. Alex Ross paints in gouache, some use an iPad. 

This is Jim Lee using a 12 year old iPad and his finger. Talent is Talent.

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity

On 2/27/2023 at 8:00 AM, Pizza Boy said:

Then he doesn't go on this list! lol

Do I hear a vote for Joe Mad or Humberto Ramos too? lol

I'll vote for Joe Mad. Love his work. Not much of a cover artist though. His interiors are fire, got to give him that. 

Edited by Cat

On 2/27/2023 at 1:35 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Was doing a bit more thinking about this thread and came to the realization that we need to include McFarlane to this thread...Hulk 340, ASM 300/316/328, Spiderman 1, Batman 423, Spawn covers, etc.

I would struggle to call him a current cover artist, relative to all the other names in this thread.

On 2/27/2023 at 1:45 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

How so?

He's certainly done more recent covers than Bolland or Turner, for example. 

Well, I definitely wouldn't call Turner a current one either [resisting urge to make a bad joke here] which is why he wasn't on my list.  When I scan the new books every couple of weeks, for the last five years or so, I don't see much McFarlane compared with the other names on my list. 

Edit: I see now I wrote "this thread" without really even reading the entire thread.  That's on me, as I disagree with several others here.  But I responded to you because I'm a McFarlane fan and considered him and ultimately didn't list him for the reasons above.

Edited by Poekaymon

On 2/27/2023 at 1:55 PM, Poekaymon said:

Well, I definitely wouldn't call Turner a current one either [resisting urge to make a bad joke here] which is why he wasn't on my list.  When I scan the new books every couple of weeks, for the last five years or so, I don't see much McFarlane compared with the other names on my list. 

Edit: I see now I wrote "this thread" without really even reading the entire thread.  That's on me, as I disagree with several others here.  But I responded to you because I'm a McFarlane fan and considered him and ultimately didn't list him for the reasons above.

No problem.  I understand your point of view.

On 2/28/2023 at 5:46 AM, Pizza Boy said:

Alan Davis has done more current covers than all 3 combined (thumbsu

Unfortunately Alan's covers don't have that wow factor anymore. They've lost that sense of awe they often provided. I think it'd the angles, he uses a lot of flatter shots these days. Still love the man's work, but his cover work has suffered lately, IMO. 

On 2/27/2023 at 2:46 PM, Pizza Boy said:

Alan Davis has done more current covers than all 3 combined (thumbsu

I had never heard of Alan Davis until last year when I got a Batman collection in.   I really enjoyed his work on TEC 569/570

F7AAE0BA-38B6-4BC0-BDA8-8AC8DD612A94.thumb.jpeg.1b3d790973cedbc91e40bb50f8f13a12.jpeg886C5240-9D64-4A7E-BDD1-451F00AD81AC.thumb.jpeg.764394bd86850440994cece519c8ef13.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER