• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current Cover Artists Who May Be Remembered Like The GA Greats (Schomberg, Fine, Baker et al)
3 3

95 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2023 at 2:46 PM, Pizza Boy said:

Alan Davis has done more current covers than all 3 combined (thumbsu

I like Alan Davis too. Uncanny X-Men 213 is probably one of my all time favourite covers, period.

But... does he fill the criteria of current cover artists who may be remembered like the GA Greats?

I'd have to side with @Cat on this one. Alan Davis is a tremendous cover artist, but of yesteryear, not current artists today.

Someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the point of this discussion was because the Modern comic book market, for better or worse, is heavily driven on the comic book cover craze, which, also seems to classify itself into the 2005-current era.

And so OP was looking to discuss on, who of those top talents really drove home that trophy of king/queen

So back to another reply, sure, Todd McFarlane might have been an amazing artist, or has done many covers and variants, but does he fall under this category? I don't think so at least.

Now I have a varying opinion of these artists, depending on who we are talking about, but the guys that drive this industry now are: Clayton Crain, Gabriele Dell'otto, J Scott, Turner, Hughes, David Finch, Bill Sienkiewicz, Joe Quesada, Ed McGuinness, Marko Djurdjevic, Greg Horn, Jerome Opena, JRJR, Milo Manara, Mike Mayhew, Mike Del Mundo, Adi Granov, Amanda Conner, Greg Land, and Jim Lee...

On 2/27/2023 at 3:28 PM, D2 said:

I like Alan Davis too. Uncanny X-Men 213 is probably one of my all time favourite covers, period.

But... does he fill the criteria of current cover artists who may be remembered like the GA Greats?

I'd have to side with @Cat on this one. Alan Davis is a tremendous cover artist, but of yesteryear, not current artists today.

Someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the point of this discussion was because the Modern comic book market, for better or worse, is heavily driven on the comic book cover craze, which, also seems to classify itself into the 2005-current era.

And so OP was looking to discuss on, who of those top talents really drove home that trophy of king/queen

So back to another reply, sure, Todd McFarlane might have been an amazing artist, or has done many covers and variants, but does he fall under this category? I don't think so at least.

Now I have a varying opinion of these artists, depending on who we are talking about, but the guys that drive this industry now are: Clayton Crain, Gabriele Dell'otto, J Scott, Turner, Hughes, David Finch, Bill Sienkiewicz, Joe Quesada, Ed McGuinness, Marko Djurdjevic, Greg Horn, Jerome Opena, JRJR, Milo Manara, Mike Mayhew, Mike Del Mundo, Adi Granov, Amanda Conner, Greg Land, and Jim Lee...

If this is the demarcation date, then you must absolutely include McFarlane, just for the incredibly collectible Spawn covers from the 220's.

As for some of the names on your list, I enjoy most of the artists, but I don't think that many of them will be remembered or collected for their covers down the road.

Crain, Lee and AH

Joker: Year of the Villain — Capture The Slab

Best Buy Superman The Man of Steel #1 Jim Lee Cover Mini Promo Comic VF  2006 DC Comics - Pee Wee Comics

Detective Comics #1000 cover by Adam Hughes : r/Catwoman

Edited by s-man

On 2/27/2023 at 8:19 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I had never heard of Alan Davis until last year when I got a Batman collection in.   I really enjoyed his work on TEC 569/570

One of Britain's best ever comic artists.

You should also have a look at Justice League : The Nail, and Superboy's Legion.  Both great reads. He's a very good writer as well.

On 2/27/2023 at 10:45 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

How so?

He's certainly done more recent covers than Bolland or Turner, for example. 

Bolland is still very active. Recent covers include Swamp Thing, Joker, 2000 AD 45th Anniversary, plus "One Bad Day" variants for Riddler, Ra's Al Ghul, Penguin, Bane, Catwoman, Clayface, and Two-Face, just to name a few.

As for JSC, I understand why people like him, and granted, this is a poster (although it could easily be a wraparound cover), but try to imagine him doing something like this where multiple characters have distinct face and body types. I just don't see it. 

realpower.jpg

I’m not sure if we are only talking modern comic artists or just non GA comic artists.

On the off chance we are talking any post GA artist I’ll mention one late SA artist and one late BA artist.

For late SA I don’t think there are any better than Jim Steranko.  He has more covers that are designated as classics by Overstreet and CGC than anyone not named Schomburg, Fine, Kirby, or Cole,

For late BA I’d put in Bill Sienkiewicz.  Watching him go from blah standard superhero to his dynamic work on Moon Knight and New Mutants was astounding.

The only thing that hurts these artists is that they both had relatively few covers compared to their contemporaries.

On 2/27/2023 at 9:40 PM, thunsicker said:

I’m not sure if we are only talking modern comic artists or just non GA comic artists.

On the off chance we are talking any post GA artist I’ll mention one late SA artist and one late BA artist.

For late SA I don’t think there are any better than Jim Steranko.  He has more covers that are designated as classics by Overstreet and CGC than anyone not named Schomburg, Fine, Kirby, or Cole,

For late BA I’d put in Bill Sienkiewicz.  Watching him go from blah standard superhero to his dynamic work on Moon Knight and New Mutants was astounding.

The only thing that hurts these artists is that they both had relatively few covers compared to their contemporaries.

Is there a Sienkiewicz appreciation thread? If not, there should be.  Some mind-blowing covers at a time when everything else was kinda static.

I really enjoyed his New Mutants stuff 

5B29FAAE-6660-4CF1-B015-838CFD141A45.thumb.jpeg.5631cc0b15040f57ecb4f720658aec0a.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 2/27/2023 at 9:50 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Is there a Sienkiewicz appreciation thread? If not, there should be.  Some mind-blowing covers at a time when everything else was kinda static.

Best Thor drawing ever :cloud9:

Thor by Bill Sienkiewicz : r/comicbooks

On 2/27/2023 at 8:52 PM, jdandns said:

As for JSC, I understand why people like him, and granted, this is a poster (although it could easily be a wraparound cover), but try to imagine him doing something like this where multiple characters have distinct face and body types. I just don't see it. 

He's incredibly repetitive, it's true. In 2018-2019 I snapped up a bunch of JSC and then I started to realize that it was all the same lithe-form cheesecake.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  But one day, a few years ago,  I just resolved not to buy another JSC until I saw one that was truly different or noteworthy in someway (on top of being cheesecake).  I have not yet bought another.  Another thing is around that same time I discovered his tendency to shade the hell out of the woman's nose for some reason and it killed like 50% of his covers for me.  I think it's still hard to deny him a mention as per the OP's question, but yeah.

On 2/27/2023 at 9:50 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

His work in Daredevil Love and War was excellent.  Dave McKean as well.