• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Detective Comics 363
2 2

20 posts in this topic

I picked this up with the known defect of the cover and first wrap detached at the bottom staple.  The other wraps are in tact and tight.  Thoughts on grade here?  Thanks for your input!

IMG-6820.jpg

IMG-6821.jpg

IMG-6822.jpg

IMG-6816.jpg

IMG-6819.jpg

Edited by travizb

Lot of reading tea leaves to figure out what to consider first. There's a table in the guide, which appears to indicate the cover detachment/tear is key defect & probably sets the ceiling at 5.5. Since the first wrap is detached too, I'd expect another grade down. I'll say 5.0 too b/c otherwise the comic is very attractive.

On 4/14/2023 at 4:03 PM, Point Five said:

Wow! We were all way off.

Nothing against this book, but is 6.5 a record Universal grade for a book with a staple pop?

I concur with your statement and question. 

Great grade but a cover detachment at one staple usually maxes out at 6.0 and the book needs to be in pretty great shape otherwise. Kind of perplexing...

On 4/14/2023 at 4:53 PM, zzutak said:

The upcoming CGC Grading Contest is going to be absolutely wild!  :ohnoez:

No doubt! :cheers:

On 4/14/2023 at 6:03 PM, Point Five said:

Wow! We were all way off.

Nothing against this book, but is 6.5 a record Universal grade for a book with a staple pop?

My Detective Comics 128 says multiple staple detached front cover and it also got 6.5 OW-W blue label. I think it's a beautiful book otherwise.

I have posted this elsewhere somewhere, but I have a 7.5 universal with a detached cover at the top staple.  It is a silver age key, which may have biased their grading?  Otherwise, it would likely be around a 9.0.

Per the CGC Guide to grading comics "A cover fully detached from one staple will usually not grade higher than 7.0 or 7.5"

Edited by Panda2

On 4/17/2023 at 3:46 PM, Panda2 said:

Per the CGC Guide to grading comics "A cover fully detached from one staple will usually not grade higher than 7.0 or 7.5"

That's wild! Thanks for the info. (thumbsu