• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Pick for Artist of the Decade : 1940 to 2020
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Criteria : You can pick only 1 (one) Artist from each Decade from starting in 1940 to 2020. Cannot choose the same artist twice.

My Picks :

1940s Will Eisner

1950s Wally Wood

1960s Jack Kirby

1970s Neal Adams

1980s George Perez

1990s Alex Ross

2000s Greg Capullo

2010s Fiona Staples

Thoughts?

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity

On 2/28/2023 at 7:23 PM, Krydel4 said:

Criteria : You can pick only 1 (one) Artist from each Decade from starting in 1940 to 2020. Cannot choose the same artist twice.

My Picks :

1940s Will Eisner

1950s Wally Wood

1960s Jack Kirby

1970s Neal Adams

1980s George Perez

1990s Alex Ross

2000s Greg Capullo

2010s Fiona Staples

Thoughts?

Wow!  Don’t agree with a single choice.  😆 

On 2/28/2023 at 4:59 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

1940’s - Kirby

1950’s - Frazetta

1960’s - Ditko

1970’s - Wrightson

1980’s - Miller (Byrne is a close second)

1990’s - McFarlane (Lee is a close second)

2000’s - Turner

2010’s - Finch

I could be persuaded on McFarlane for the 90s. Kirby in the 40s had nowhere near the impact he had in the 60s (eventhough he co-created Cap). He was drawing:

Fantastic Four

Journey into Mystery

Tales of Suspense

X-Men

Avengers

Strange Tales

Sgt. Fury

Some almost all simultaneously. While also doing a ton of covers at the same time. He did the cover to the most famous Marvel book of all-time AF15 cause the Editor thought the one Ditko drew was spoon. He doesn't get enough credit cause Stan Lee took it all from his artists and co-creators (same boat Ditko was put in).

On 2/28/2023 at 8:16 PM, Krydel4 said:

I could be persuaded on McFarlane for the 90s. Kirby in the 40s had nowhere near the impact he had in the 60s (eventhough he co-created Cap). He was drawing:

Fantastic Four

Journey into Mystery

Tales of Suspense

X-Men

Avengers

Strange Tales

Sgt. Fury

Some almost all simultaneously. While also doing a ton of covers at the same time. He did the cover to the most famous Marvel book of all-time AF15 cause the Editor thought the one Ditko drew was spoon. He doesn't get enough credit cause Stan Lee took it all from his artists and co-creators (same boat Ditko was put in).

Your post didn’t indicate most impactful artist of the decade.  If so, my list would be different 

On 2/28/2023 at 8:16 PM, Krydel4 said:

Fantastic Four

Journey into Mystery

Tales of Suspense

X-Men

Avengers

Strange Tales

Sgt. Fury

Is there an image of the Ditko cover?

I’m in awe of how great the cover to AF 15 is.  The very first time a character appears, and already perfectly polished.

No updates necessary 

C0B00D55-AFCB-4983-ADFF-A2079036B31A.jpeg.b4980c074b069cf8dd3aa78f47527107.jpeg

On 2/28/2023 at 5:22 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Your post didn’t indicate most impactful artist of the decade.  If so, my list would be different 

I kind of take that into account when choosing Blank of the Decade lists. If it was just my favorite artists from each decade my list would also be different.

Difficult to choose.  For example, in one sense Milton Caniff would work for Golden Age / 1940s, as his style was extremely influential on many artists during that period, such as Toth, Kubert, Infantino, Elias, Robbins. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

Honestly. 

I can’t. 

I tried doing this. I spent 10 minutes writing, and revising, and editing.

But it doesn’t feel right. 

There are just too many artists that I have such a tremendous respect for, that had such a powerful influence on me. 

It feels wrong for leaving them out. 

I decline. 

On 3/1/2023 at 2:14 AM, D2 said:

There are just too many artists that I have such a tremendous respect for, that had such a powerful influence on me. 

Yup.  I got dragged down thinking about the standout, most influential creator from each decade.

Especially difficult at the beginning and end; 40s, 50s and moderns.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/28/2023 at 6:14 PM, D2 said:

Honestly. 

I can’t. 

I tried doing this. I spent 10 minutes writing, and revising, and editing.

But it doesn’t feel right. 

It feels wrong for leaving them out. 

I decline. 

image.png.0adb5887a9e4b8fc0779e9504b780645.png

On 2/28/2023 at 9:19 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.  I got dragged down thinking about the standout, most influential creator from each decade.

Especially difficult at the beginning and end, 40s, 50s and moderns.

Exactly. In the 80s alone, there’s Byrne right at 79-81, Miller in 82-86, Mazzucchelli… Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, and Barry Windsor-Smith… all within 10 to 12 years alone. 
I also know I’m ignoring other… Silvestri, Sienkiewicz

On 2/28/2023 at 6:28 PM, D2 said:

Exactly. In the 80s alone, there’s Byrne right at 79-81, Miller in 82-86, Mazzucchelli… Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, and Barry Windsor-Smith… all within 10 to 12 years alone. 
I also know I’m ignoring other… Silvestri, Sienkiewicz

I do feel you. I was vacillating between Byrne and Perez for the 80s. I'm a huge Byrne fan. Byrne had X-Men, FF, and my personal favorite Superman. But I looked at Perez' body of work with New Teen Titans (which was outselling X-men at one point) COIE, Wonder Woman and his technical skill and pushed him a smidge above Byrne. Frank Miller I enjoyed for his writing more than his art. 

On 2/28/2023 at 9:44 PM, Krydel4 said:

I do feel you. I was vacillating between Byrne and Perez for the 80s. I'm a huge Byrne fan. Byrne had X-Men, FF, and my personal favorite Superman. But I looked at Perez' body of work with New Teen Titans (which was outselling X-men at one point) COIE, Wonder Woman and his technical skill and pushed him a smidge above Byrne. Frank Miller I enjoyed for his writing more than his art. 

Perez was fantastic, and the only reason I picked up a DC title at all at the time ( until Byrne jumped over).  That Titans run was amazing.  Can’t put Perez ahead of Byrne though.  Even ignoring X-men, his FF run is next level.  He did everything ( except colouring/lettering ), and handled Marvel’s 1st family like a champ.  

I think as already said, it’s better to not decide.  So much good stuff in the 80s