• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Age Batman
5 5

123 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2023 at 11:16 AM, The Commissioner said:

Did anyone else here read Batman/Catwoman: Gotham War?

Hide contents

Personally, I thought that the plot with the meteor about to hit Gotham really came out of nowhere in the final issue. It felt rushed to me.

I did and I kind of enjoyed it.  The reason I say 'kind of' because like you, it felt rushed to me as well.

New issue being released this week! :headbang:

Batman vol. 3 #140

Description:

It's Batman versus The Joker in their most brutal fight of all time. But wait...Batman is also battling a legion of himself!

What has Zur done? And who will walk away?

The brutal "Mindbomb" continues!

Batman140.thumb.jpg.08debd29d0ec3ff2d710e06b1d45985d.jpg

On 12/7/2023 at 5:44 PM, The Commissioner said:

Did anyone else read this issue? I'd love to hear your thoughts about the end.

I read this last night and at first was a bit confused. I re-read the book and then after some other conversations on a comic book forum I visit it all clicked. Not sure what DC is doing, but it seems like we are spinning our wheels with this multiverse stuff. Sure it is cool we are getting a Failsafe-Zur. We did have The Batman Who Laughs just a few years ago, so having another "Evil" Batman I'm not sure if that works for me. I will continue reading to see where things go.

New issue being released this week! :headbang:

Batman vol. 3 #141

Description:

Zur-En-Arrh has done the unthinkable. And now, cut off from everything and everyone, Batman has to face off against his most devastating enemy in a brutal fight for the future as the specter of The Joker hangs over everything.

The stunning conclusion to "Mindbomb" is here!

Batman141.thumb.jpg.00e4ea2b8fd27c90b575f774b983018a.jpg

Wow, this was an amazing issue. Seeing Batman fight Zur in Failsafe's body was awesome. The art was fantastic, the writing was fantastic. Seriously, what a great issue.

I like that Joker Year 1 is going to tie in with this storyline. It should be pretty interesting!

On 1/5/2024 at 4:36 PM, The Commissioner said:

Wow, this was an amazing issue. Seeing Batman fight Zur in Failsafe's body was awesome. The art was fantastic, the writing was fantastic. Seriously, what a great issue.

I like that Joker Year 1 is going to tie in with this storyline. It should be pretty interesting!

I'm definitely on board with what you wrote in your review.  At the same time, I'm a bit conflicted.  When it comes to Zur and Failsafe, I feel like they've worn out their welcome and and Zdarsky is on the verge of beating a dead horse.  Time to move on.  Let's first get the Batman Family back together.  And I think Batman cannot do it alone.  Which leaves me with the one person who possibly could.  It's wishful thinking on my part, but if Zdarsky were to surprise us with the return of Alfred, that would be magnificent.  :)

On 1/7/2024 at 10:20 AM, workingdog said:

I'm definitely on board with what you wrote in your review.  At the same time, I'm a bit conflicted.  When it comes to Zur and Failsafe, I feel like they've worn out their welcome and and Zdarsky is on the verge of beating a dead horse.  Time to move on.  Let's first get the Batman Family back together.  And I think Batman cannot do it alone.  Which leaves me with the one person who possibly could.  It's wishful thinking on my part, but if Zdarsky were to surprise us with the return of Alfred, that would be magnificent.  :)

I agree with you there. I also thought the idea of Zur creating Failsafe in case Batman went too far and killed, seemed a bit confusing because I feel like Zur is more likely to kill than Batman.

On 1/7/2024 at 1:04 PM, The Commissioner said:

Also, Zdarsky had the perfect out for bringing Alfred back when Batman was in the alternate universe where Alfred was still alive. 

He did and I thought that was what was going to happen.  In truth, I don't think I would be happy by bringing in a multiverse Alfred.  The one thing I did get a kick out of in that storyline was alternate universe Alfred was married to Leslie Thompkins.  A nice tip of the hat to a legacy Batman character.

On 2/21/2024 at 9:08 AM, The Commissioner said:

Anyone reading Joker Year 1? Personally, I think the story is just okay. 

And is the side story where people are becoming infected in Gotham City happening in the future? I was a little lost on that.

Yes, I read issue 144 (part 3 of 3) last night.  I agree with your assessment.  The ending was kind of anti-climactic.

And to honest, I think the Gotham City infections do take place in the future but I can't say that with 99% certainly. 

I am glad to see we're getting Jorge Jimenez back next issue :)

Edited by workingdog