• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Funko pops to pitch 30M of inventory into a landfill!
2 2

90 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2023 at 2:10 PM, the blob said:

I thought they were just some $8 stupidity to clutter the shelves, some were touted as valuable?

Much like pre-Unity Valiant and early Magic cards, product made early, before any hype, started commanding decent money on the secondary market. And then they over-produced once people started buying because "they're worth money."

I wonder what would happen if someone bought the media rights to develop a Beanie Babies movie.

On 3/15/2023 at 6:26 AM, FoggyNelson said:

I honestly would not take a funky pop for free, the space it takes up in my house, even our basement would not be worth it, I think they look dumb

Being a MAD collector. I have been tempted to get the Alfred E Neuman one but have successfully, (for the most part), fought the urge to buy much MAD stuff post 1970. 

On 3/16/2023 at 8:11 AM, Robot Man said:

Being a MAD collector. I have been tempted to get the Alfred E Neuman one but have successfully, (for the most part), fought the urge to buy much MAD stuff post 1970. 

Better off searching for one of these...

Check out Rare Mad Magazine 1999 Alfred E. Neuman 14" "What, Me Worry?" Statue Vintage on eBay!

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/185813236613?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=u6_YoZC5RCm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=f4LPc_YNTmy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

On 3/6/2023 at 10:33 PM, Jaylam said:

I heard a story where Topps loaded a barge with unsold Baseball cards in the early 50’s and had them hauled out and dumped in the Atlantic Ocean. Is this true or another one of those “urban legends”?

I remember that article https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2018/04/18/mint-2-5-million-mickey-mantle-card-nearly-dumped-in-the-atlantic/?sh=7f7532774791

While haven't been fully into the appeal of Funko, I do have a couple. We live close to Everett HQ in WA state and have been there a couple of times. If it's a one time dump, business decision and may learn from it. Those who collect and enjoy Funko - Keep on!

On 3/17/2023 at 1:10 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Yeah.   We probably shouldn't kick these things while they are down, but I never saw the appeal as anything other than a $10 decoration. 

On 3/17/2023 at 5:07 PM, Bronty said:

Yeah.   We probably shouldn't kick these things while they are down, but I never saw the appeal as anything other than a $10 decoration. 

I don’t own any, but I could see the appeal to have one on my desk at work.  If I had a desk at work that is....

On 3/17/2023 at 7:21 PM, 1950's war comics said:

the few Funko's that i have seen at shows didn't even register in my brain as collectibles 

I don't see them as collectibles either.  I have only got three and only of favourite characters.  

In 2018 or 19 Funko donated many cases of pops to my wife. Her niece, who was about 10 years old at the time and a special needs child wanted to do a comic con at her school to raise money. That's what was supposed to happen. Due to lock down and the remote learning that followed (and her neice moving shortly after) this event never happened. So we were stuck with them. 

We decided to give them away on Halloween. Word got out and we had more kids than ever at our house (we did have candy also). It was great! The kids loved them and all funkos were given away. I suppose many of them have already found their way to the landfill but at least there was some enjoyment there. 

I have quite a few Funkos but I never saw them as collectables to make money on.  They are cool decorations from series that I enjoy.  I haven't ever paid secondary market prices for a Funko and only purchased stuff off the shelf because the asking prices above the original $20 seems crazy.

Edited by LudaToke