• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Funko pops to pitch 30M of inventory into a landfill!
2 2

90 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2023 at 5:05 PM, Robot Man said:

Apparently, they feel it will devalue their brand.

Agreed - artificial scarcity is not sustainable, and Funko should be more responsible for their choices.  Funko's judgement and choice here may hurt their brand more than a donation ever would.

Edited by Northwest

On 3/3/2023 at 7:05 PM, Robot Man said:

Apparently, sales have been slow and storage costs too high. An ecological night mare. Why not donate to charity? Apparently, they feel it will devalue their brand.

I hate these stupid things. Artifical collectibles and faddish like Beanie Babies.

What  a seriously irresponsible company…

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/funko-pop-millions-trash-storage.html

Donating to charity will devalue it, but putting it in a landfill is all good? What kind of backward... I'd take a crate or two, they'd be cool targets...

They are bulky. What's interesting to me is that in the last two weeks my friend told me he's doing well with Funko at his store and on ebay (presumably better, older ones?) and in Rozanski's Mile HIgh newsletter I believe he recently said that his Jason St. store turns over the entire Funko inventory every 60 days.

They should be fined for that. But we all know it'd be like a $5 fine anyway... 

On 3/4/2023 at 4:33 AM, Hes Dead Jim said:

atari did something like this in 1983

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

Yup. That one’s quite infamous in the gaming world.

I know Marvel Pops were being auctioned and bought by Dollarama in Canada then resold thru their network of dollar stores in all provinces for $5 Cdn. each. Some were 'Amazon Exclusive' basketball Funkos. Funko should have just donated their overstocked Pops to Children's Hospitals :news: in USA and Canada rather than to the dump.

On 3/4/2023 at 8:30 AM, Robot Man said:

A disapointed Funko “investor”…

Maybe it will be worth more ten years from now when the red-sharpie-written-on-plastic fades into oblivion.

Restaurant chains dump unfathomable amounts of perfectly edible food every day instead of giving it away to people who could use a meal. This is nothing new, although the environmental impact is obviously worse.

On 3/4/2023 at 4:43 PM, wurstisart said:

I don’t think they dumped half of their inventory but a game that simply sucked.

At least that is what I remember.

There's a good documentary about efforts to find and excavate those cartridges.

On 3/4/2023 at 2:41 PM, COI said:

Restaurant chains dump unfathomable amounts of perfectly edible food every day instead of giving it away to people who could use a meal. This is nothing new, although the environmental impact is obviously worse.

It might surprise to learn how much carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases are emitted by rotting leftovers.