• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Batman #200
2 2

19 posts in this topic

Lovely page quality and all round a really bright example. I'd say the sub crease has to reduce the grade to 6.0 but the book presents higher. I'm sure someone with more knowledge and/or their grading Bible in hand will advise what max grade is for a copy with subscription crease. 

CGC guide says a sub crease maxes out at 7.0. Since I can't see the crease, I'm going to say there's a chance 6.5/7.0. The only other thing I really see is the top/left top edges of the FC look a bit rough & grubby. Seems like a book very susceptible to looing grubby with all the white areas.

On 3/4/2023 at 11:16 AM, scburdet said:

CGC guide says a sub crease maxes out at 7.0. Since I can't see the crease, I'm going to say there's a chance 6.5/7.0. The only other thing I really see is the top/left top edges of the FC look a bit rough & grubby. Seems like a book very susceptible to looing grubby with all the white areas.

I was going to say almost the same thing before reading this. 

On 4/14/2023 at 9:04 PM, SolidShredder said:

They actually put that in notes? They don't ding it for that do they? Or does that mean they detected chemicals or something?

Yes, it removed foxing, stains, dust shadows or any foreign substances on the cover.   It altered the cover so it's restored.

On 4/15/2023 at 12:15 AM, JollyComics said:

Yes

So if I dry clean my books with zero chemicals I risk getting a restored label? That seems crazy to me! CGC includes cleaning with their pressing service! I can understand if you damage a book while cleaning but damage is damage and is already considered anyway. I would have never guess that in a million years. Glad I know now. 

Edited by SolidShredder

On 4/14/2023 at 11:19 PM, SolidShredder said:

So if I dry clean my books with zero chemicals I risk getting a restored label? That seems crazy to me! CGC includes cleaning with their pressing service! I can understand if you damage a book while cleaning but damage is damage and is already considered anyway. I would have never guess that in a million years. Glad I know now. 

Dry cleaning is much different from the chemical.   Dry cleaning doesn't alter the book but the chemical can alter the book.

It's very common to use the chemical for GA books.   Make it look newer rather than moldy, darker, heavy soiled, heavy shadow dust or anything else on the cover so the chemical removed them but the cleaning covers do not look natural for the aged books.  Some owners wanted to give GA books new life and are happy to have the fresh looks. They don't mind the PLOD labels. Sometimes, they don't need the case or labels.  Keep the raw copies that can be extended the life longer rather than it crumbles.

I encourage you to talk with CCS customer service. They can explain details.  Otherwise, you can contact any comic book restoration company anywhere in USA.

On 4/15/2023 at 12:40 AM, JollyComics said:

Dry cleaning is much different from the chemical. 

Maybe we are misunderstanding each other? Dry cleaning = good = NO restored label? Chemicals = bad = restored label? 

Edited by SolidShredder

On 4/14/2023 at 11:44 PM, SolidShredder said:

Maybe we are misunderstanding each other? Dry cleaning = good = NO restored label? Chemicals = bad = restored label? 

No I tried to explain it to you.

Everyone has a different opinion on both pressing and C & P and restoration.  You can use the search engine here to find about the restorations and pressings. You can read the posts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I answered your questions. 

Dry cleaning/pressing - you will get the universal label.    If the cover is cleaned by the chemical, you will get the PLOD label.   CGC always checks for the restoration before the books will go to the graders.   I STRONGLY encouraged you to contact CCS.  They can explain everything.

I am not a fan of the purple label.  I preferred to leave it alone but Batman #200 is restored.  It will be about 50% less than the value of the book with the blue label. 

Hopefully it helps.