• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It’s in the Papers! Show us your Pedigree COAs
2 2

46 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2023 at 3:01 PM, Robot Man said:

I bought mine directly from Russ. It was the last copy he had available. I don’t submit many to CGC but did so years ago. Came back a 7.0. A real shame. It is a beautiful copy but had a small, light non color breaking printer’s corner bend. Thought about getting it pressed but just couldn’t bring myself to do it. I HATE altering pedigree books. It is what it is. 

Mine is an 8.5. Some of the GFC war books are surprisingly low. There’s a 30 that is a 5.5.

On 3/5/2023 at 3:06 PM, Robot Man said:

So, what do you folks have? Would love to see some more of those “pedigree wannabe” COAs…

I’ll have to dig them out; I have a few that haven’t been shared yet. Wish I still had my Bridwell books and their certs.

On 3/5/2023 at 4:49 PM, Robot Man said:

The Okajima collection

This one needs no introduction.

Very early on I was lucky enough to pick up a few camp Capt. Marvel Advs war covers from my pal @Cobbledclam.

Shortly thereafter, I bought a small group from Alan Barr at a show. They all came with this COA. 

F321DE37-7B73-47C3-86C3-32B8750FE239.jpeg

No mention of the internment camps. Maybe back then it was a bummer and controversial, now the main reason ppl collect them.

On 3/5/2023 at 10:16 PM, comicnoir said:

No mention of the internment camps. Maybe back then it was a bummer and controversial, now the main reason ppl collect them.

Or maybe the full story wasn’t brought to light at the time. When I bought my first ones from Ron Murrary, very little was known about them.

On 3/6/2023 at 10:04 AM, Robot Man said:

Or maybe the full story wasn’t brought to light at the time. When I bought my first ones from Ron Murrary, very little was known about them.

I bought my Okajima Master Comics 51 out of a bin in 2000. I knew what it was, that's why I bought it, in Canada. I read it somewhere.

On 3/6/2023 at 10:07 AM, Robot Man said:

I didn’t know there were any COAs for this collection but being Vinny, I’m not supprised. Was there a back story on them?

It was not an original owner collection, but rather high-grade copies assembled with assistance of Metropolis over a decade or more of collecting.  Cap or Bucky was on almost every cover, and eye appeal of the books was uniformly impressive.

On 3/5/2023 at 4:49 PM, Robot Man said:

The Okajima collection

This one needs no introduction.

Very early on I was lucky enough to pick up a few camp Capt. Marvel Advs war covers from my pal @Cobbledclam.

Shortly thereafter, I bought a small group from Alan Barr at a show. They all came with this COA. 

F321DE37-7B73-47C3-86C3-32B8750FE239.jpeg

Useless fact:  I provided the color scan used for the certificate.

On 3/6/2023 at 4:51 PM, adamstrange said:

Most pretentious?

PaloAltoCert.jpg

Maybe. But certainly one of the most beautiful. Must have cost him a few of those books to pay Jack Davis for the illustration… Suprisingly, have never owned a Palo Alto. Are they as nice as they are cracked up to be?

A more recent one. I picked it up from Brian Peets at CalCon. Apparently, the GA was bought second hand but the rest was OO. A nice score for Brian who has had the hard work and good luck in picking up some nice collections. And one heck of a great guy to deal with! 

By the way, I bought the book not the fancy certificate…:roflmao:

47A1EDC7-BE9D-44F8-96B7-D9279C329829.jpeg

CE30C012-F03F-47E4-B5C7-ECFA7396E363.jpeg

On 3/6/2023 at 8:41 PM, Robot Man said:

Maybe. But certainly one of the most beautiful. Must have cost him a few of those books to pay Jack Davis for the illustration… Suprisingly, have never owned a Palo Alto. Are they as nice as they are cracked up to be?

They are very nice in terms of page quality and cover appeal but it was not a large collection and they don't show up often.