• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN: PGM Conan the Barbarian #11
2 2

30 posts in this topic

Another weird one since I felt it was the roughest of the bunch but came back with the highest grade! Go figure. Not sure what is going on over at CGC but their grades have been all over the place recently.

Grade: 9.0 Off-White to White Pages

Notes: light creasing to cover, light spine stress lines to cover

ConantheBarbarian11-19.0.thumb.jpg.43c4c5d02b591bc356f29939f780785d.jpg

ConantheBarbarian11-29.0.thumb.jpg.05ae1098a7a890c8324a7070fdd8cb31.jpg

Edited by atticus.fetch

On 4/14/2023 at 9:58 PM, atticus.fetch said:

Another weird one since I felt it was the roughest of the bunch but came back with the highest grade! Go figure. Not sure what is going on over at CGC but their grades have been all over the place recently.

:jawdrop:

:ohnoez: Weird is right.

Thanks for updating your posts.

Yeah, this is not a 9.0 no offense. I think some mislabeling happened along the way. It happens, but I suspect no one ever complains when it works in their favor, only when it doesn't. I've got books It thought would be low 9s that came back lower that present better than this. Go buy lottery tickets as your luck is very high right now.

Edited by scburdet

On 4/14/2023 at 11:58 PM, atticus.fetch said:

That is a complete travesty. What in the wide wide world of sports is going on at CGC? :facepalm: Label error maybe?

Edited by Jeffro.

On 4/15/2023 at 6:06 AM, scburdet said:

Yeah, this is not a 9.0 no offense. I think some mislabeling happened along the way. It happens, but I suspect no one ever complains when it works in their favor, only when it doesn't. I've got books It thought would be low 9s that came back lower that present better than this. Go buy lottery tickets as your luck is very high right now.

Not really. My X-Men submission got hammered in the opposite direction. Books that should have been low 9s (maybe 8.5) come back in the 7s. The problem is, those books present well and don't look like the grade they received but will be tagged with it because it's right there on the label while this book is obviously misgraded just by looking at it and will never achieve a 9.0 valuation. Lose/lose for me. Think I'll skip the lottery ticket...

Edited by atticus.fetch

On 4/14/2023 at 9:58 PM, atticus.fetch said:

hm I just looked at your pre-grade scan and was with the consensus around 6.0.  I just can't get anywhere close to 9.0 with the damage to every corner and color loss and general wear.  This just shouldn't be a 9.0.  I did get back a box of GA and SA books 2 weeks ago and most of it was as expected but one of the GA books that I had as a 2.5, perhaps 3.0 if I was lucky, came back 7.0.  I think sometimes they just mess up. 

Edited by thehumantorch

On 4/15/2023 at 10:52 AM, atticus.fetch said:

Not really. My X-Men submission got hammered in the opposite direction. Books that should have been low 9s (maybe 8.5) come back in the 7s. The problem is, those books present well and don't look like the grade they received but will be tagged with it because it's right there on the label while this book is obviously misgraded just by looking at it and will never achieve a 9.0 valuation. Lose/lose for me. Think I'll skip the lottery ticket...

Did they hire graders or quality control staffs with dyslexia?

The more graders on staff and the more the rush to get each comic graded, the more variability there will be in the final grades.

As for the Conan #11, the lower right corner crease on the front cover is, by itself, a defect that for me would grade the book at no better than 9.0.  Add in all the other defects, and the assigned grade is a travesty.

Edited by namisgr

On 4/15/2023 at 12:52 PM, atticus.fetch said:

X-Men submission got hammered

This happens too. IDK how you're submitting, but (except signatures) everything I'm sending in goes through an authorized retailer. He's my backstop on things that are too harshly graded. So far, he's sent back 4 books. One was just the absolute wrong book (sent a Mark Jewelers, not what they sent back). Another came back 8.0, which he had pegged at ~9.4. He reserves the appeal for significant differences (i.e. a potential error not difference of opinion) so as not to annoy CGC, so we won't quibble about an 8.5 vs. a 9.0 for example. Waiting to see if his recent appeals will give us something closer to expectations. Something to consider. Again, I don't think anyone sends back something that's "better" than expected, except me. I sent back a signed & sketched book (9.6) that wasn't the one I sent. Someone (theoretically) got their book eventually and I just got a settlement check b/c they lost mine. Not sure if I'd be that honest again.....

Edited by scburdet

On 4/15/2023 at 11:12 AM, scburdet said:

This happens too. IDK how you're submitting, but (except signatures) everything I'm sending in goes through an authorized retailer. He's my backstop on things that are too harshly graded. So far, he's sent back 4 books. One was just the absolute wrong book (sent a Mark Jewelers, not what they sent back). Another came back 8.0, which he had pegged at ~9.4. He reserves the appeal for significant differences so as not to annoy CGC, so we won't quibble about an 8.5 vs. a 9.0 for example. Waiting to see if his recent appeals will give us something closer to expectations. Something to consider. Again, I don't think anyone sends back something that's "better" than expected, except me. I sent back a signed & sketched book (9.6) that wasn't the one I sent. Someone (theoretically) got their book eventually and I just got a settlement check b/c they lost mine. Not sure if I'd be that honest again.....

I have close to 400 books I am considering submitting, most of which I will probably sell, so it is too cost prohibitive to go through a third party (I do all my own cleaning and pressing as well). Didn't realize you could appeal a grade -- just resubmit, which I am tempted to do for a couple but when I look at the value differential from the grade I received and the low end of what I think I should have got, the additional fees to have it graded again just doesn't make a lot of sense since these are books I plan to sell. I would definitely appeal in cases where it is clear the wrong book was sent back to me or I can demonstrate that the book was damaged either in shipping or in the posession of CGC, but if it is just a grade dispute, I'm surprised that CGC will offer that at all. I pretty much asked that question since I think these books in question were dinged hard for printers creases (which CGC confirmed should not count against) but the standard company line is that my only option is to resubmit for re-grading. Not a great answer.

I wonder what CGC would do if I appealed the 9.0 grade in the opposite direction?

Edited by atticus.fetch

On 4/15/2023 at 4:33 PM, atticus.fetch said:

appealed the 9.0 grade

I assume deserved corrections either way are possible. IMO, this would be harder to sell as a 9.0 b/c it doesn't look like a 9.0. I can see buyers being leery if the appearance & grade seem out of sync.