• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing Interior Page from a CGC 5.0 Blue Label Book
5 5

46 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2023 at 11:06 AM, 10centcomics said:

From my understanding this would either be a 0.5 Incomplete Blue Label or a Qualified 5.0 Green Label? I'll reach out to CGC and see what they can do.

You understand correctly...

On 3/7/2023 at 11:06 AM, 10centcomics said:

It looks like the "guarantee" is just that 2 professionals have reviewed it ...

So it looks like both professionals, that CGC guarantees graded it, missed the missing page.

Keep in mind, according to CGC's guarantee, each book is graded by at least two professionals. This means that every time a grader-related error happens (including that cut out coupon in the video link), that error was made by both professionals.

On 3/7/2023 at 10:56 AM, Gaard said:

according to CGC's guarantee, each book is graded by at least two professionals

Respectfully, this is not what CGC guarantees.  (tsk)  Strictly speaking, "to inspect" is not synonymous with "to grade".  It's entirely possible that the first "inspector" only checks the book for completeness (and does not actually grade it).  And it's also possible that the second "inspector" grades the comic without independently checking it for completeness.  Check it out, in their loss prevention attorney's very carefully chosen language:

Guarantee.thumb.png.1a0e62a4e81e44f5b1f798caa251f5f5.png

Edited by zzutak

On 3/7/2023 at 12:00 PM, Gaard said:

I'm not sure how you grade a comic without knowing if it's complete or not

You trust that your upstream colleague did his/her job (of counting pages and checking for interior cut-outs) carefully.  I imagine specific responsibilities/tasks have been assigned to specific staff positions by company fiat.  I cannot imagine an experienced grader being paid to count pages (or any other mundane task that requires relatively little experience and/or talent).

CGC certification is always a team effort, and a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.  :preach:

On 3/7/2023 at 12:48 PM, 10centcomics said:

Thanks to @CGC Mike for helping resolve this! CGC will be "buying" the book back for what I paid and the book will be removed from the census. 

This is great news! Coincidentally I just saw a post by Dale Roberts, they have a raw 5.0  copy of that book in their new arrivals section if you're looking for a replacement 

On 3/7/2023 at 3:22 PM, BriD. said:

This is great news! Coincidentally I just saw a post by Dale Roberts, they have a raw 5.0  copy of that book in their new arrivals section if you're looking for a replacement 

Thanks for the heads-up, I definitely will be looking for a replacement and that listing even has a photo of the pin-up! 

On 3/7/2023 at 3:34 PM, gadzukes said:

10centcomics, I'm so sorry about this CGC error for you.

Archie 47 is one of my favorite "Hidden Gems" of the GA Archie run because of those B&V pinups.  I consider it a "key issue" because of the pin-ups.  In my mind they're the 2 best PIn-ups of B&V in the GA.

I actually have a small hoard of the comic (maybe 20 copies).  I liked the pin-ups so much that I made some Archie 47 covers with the pin-ups on them.

I hope CGC makes this right for you.

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4843.JPG

Oh my god this is next level! Love it!

On 3/7/2023 at 4:44 AM, Larryw7 said:

Most people would never know if it did.

And there's the problem.  This is the sort of thing you would worry about from a company like PGX.  To be fair mistakes happen and CGC isn't infallible.  I doubt this happens often but it's hard to know unless we get cracking. 

On 3/7/2023 at 5:08 PM, 10centcomics said:

Oh I have no reason to believe the seller knew about this! I don't hold him at fault in this at all.

Me either. Sometimes, the dealers thought some books were complete but came back incomplete or qualified but CGC missed it that is a huge factor.

It's my old habit. I count every page and sometimes found missing pages, coupons cut out and torn off pieces and returned the books back to some big name dealers (some are boards too).  They are humans.  You did a great job to catch it.

Edited by JollyComics