• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP ME FIND IT: "light multiple stain on top of back cover"
3 3

32 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2023 at 12:20 PM, eastriver400 said:

Ok here we go. I had to crack it. 

INSIDE BACK COVER: No stain whatsoever on the inside cover. There is red ink bleeding from the Zingers ad on the back cover. Again that isn't staining. 

BACK COVER UNSLABBED: Looks even less like a stain of any sort, however at the right angle under direct light, I do see what looks like scraping? 

Would love to hear your opinions now. @Stronguy @Funnybooks @JollyComics @theCapraAegagrus @comicginger1789 @joeypost

Thanks so much. Im obsessing. 

Interior.JPG

UNSLABBED .JPG

It's possible someone attempted to remove the stain.

TWO Quick questions. 

1) I always thought bleeding was a common production flaw, especially with Red Ink. 

Is it possible the grader considered bleeding to be a transfer stain? Transfer stain is when the ink actually transfers onto the next page correct?  There is no transfer of ink to the inside pages. 

I'm still baffled.  

2) What about that scrape looking flaw? Not staining correct?

Edited by eastriver400

On 3/9/2023 at 12:20 PM, eastriver400 said:

BACK COVER UNSLABBED: Looks even less like a stain of any sort, however at the right angle under direct light, I do see what looks like scraping? 

UNSLABBED .JPG

That could be it. I've seen some stains that look similar.

On 3/9/2023 at 4:21 PM, Stronguy said:

That book looks great.  I'd definitely send it back in for another look.  Given some of the SNAFUs in the recent past, they could have been looking at notes from a completely different book.  It's a spoon shoot out there right now.

Thanks for your sleuthing by the way. Those black light photos were amazing. 

On 3/9/2023 at 3:32 PM, eastriver400 said:

Thanks for your sleuthing by the way. Those black light photos were amazing. 

That was just me jacking around with the levels in Photoshop.  It works great for finding contrast differences.

On 3/9/2023 at 1:20 PM, eastriver400 said:

Ok here we go. I had to crack it. 

INSIDE BACK COVER: No stain whatsoever on the inside cover. There is red ink bleeding from the Zingers ad on the back cover. Again that isn't staining. 

Would love to hear your opinions now. @Stronguy @Funnybooks @JollyComics @theCapraAegagrus @comicginger1789 @joeypost

Thanks so much. Im obsessing. 

Interior.JPG

UNSLABBED .JPG

See now this is where CGC could help themselves with a little clarity.

That is a severe amount of ink bleed...are we as collectors to say that this should or should not affect the grade? For me, it definitely makes a difference compared to a copy where this has not happened. I think considering how the ink staining occurs is also something that should be considered (was this or could it have been so from day one? Or has time/temperature and storage conditions caused this?)

At any rate, knowing the stance on this and whether this is a defect CGC considers a flaw or not would be good knowledge to share with collectors.

Edited by comicginger1789

As for the scrape, perhaps the grader viewed it as something coming into contact with the book, thus creating some sort of scrape. It does appear to be blackish in colour, somewhat, so if residue or whatever it came in contact with was left on the book, maybe that is why they noted it as a stain (shrug)

• Administrator
On 3/8/2023 at 3:44 PM, eastriver400 said:

Am I going blind?

I recently received a 26 book submission back from CGC.  All the grades were spot on (+ or - a grade or two here and there) as I expected...... 

Except for one grade I am baffled by.  Thankfully, it wasn't a high dollar book, but it is a book I'd like a high grade copy of in my PC.

I was expecting a 9.4, possibly 9.6 on a good day, and it ended up receiving a 8.0.  

The (only) Grader's note states:  "light multiple stain on top of back cover" 

I am moving up in age and my vision isn't what it used to be........ I just don't see the stains!!!

I do notice something peculiar going on over the "I" in Zinger, however it doesn't look like staining and may even be inner well touching the book? The marks in the white space to the right of the ad seem to be shadows from the scuffed case. 

Can anyone notice the stains? If so are they likely cleanable? and lastly do these stains warrant an 8.0?

Thanks!

IMG_7939.JPG

IMG_7936.JPG

What is the certification number for this book?