• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Hawkman Scarce?

7 posts in this topic

I collect pretty much all the DC silver age superhero titles, and I look to complete runs in high grade.   I have some lengthy runs, such as all of Green Lantern 1-89 except 7, around 60 consecutive issues of JLA, Batman, Detective, etc.   But I virtually never see silver age Hawkman, and virtually never in raw 8.0 and higher.    I only have 8 issues of Hawkman.  Have I just randomly gone to stores and shows with poor Hawkman selection? Do any of you find Hawkman to be rare compared to the rest of your collection?

I certainly agree that Hawkman books don't show up very often. I think you will see very few posted on IG, unless they are super high-grade. I have a full run of the Hawkman issues: BatB #34 - #36, BatB #42 - #44, and Hawkman #1 - 27. All the BatB issues and Hawkman #1 are all CGC 7.0 or above. As for the rest of the issues, their grades can vary. I don't foresee myself ever getting the urge to upgrade Hawkman #2 - #27.

I don't think any mainstream DC SA book can really be considered to be scarce if grade is not a consideration.

Typically the earlier SA DCs will be much harder to find in high grade.  However, having said that, Hawkman's own title comes up in high grade all the time.  I can remember them coming up on Heritage all the time.  The B&B issues are much harder to find in high grade, but they still pop up periodically.