• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Production issue? Series of small tears
1 1

11 posts in this topic

This is from the right edge of a Fantastic Four #254, so late Bronze Age Marvel.

I assume this series of small tears is a production issue, so wouldn't count against a potential 9.8?

Also, I posted another possible production issue in the pinned production issue thread, but no one has responded yet.  If anyone would like to take a look, I'd appreciate it! :grin:

20230309_092642.thumb.jpg.905fb57c659a092540cfe44cf33f24b9.jpg

On 3/9/2023 at 10:50 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Is this the book you are referring to?

s-l1600.png

I just looked at four CGC NM/MT 9.8 books and some 9.6/9.4's on eBay and none have those ticks, chances are they are not production flaws.

Exactly where are these ticks located?

Can we get a clear pic of the entire front cover?

It's under press right now, so I will post a full picture later tonight.

On 3/9/2023 at 10:50 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Is this the book you are referring to?

s-l1600.png

I just looked at four CGC NM/MT 9.8 books and some 9.6/9.4's on eBay and none have those ticks, chances are they are not production flaws.

Exactly where are these ticks located?

Can we get a clear pic of the entire front cover?

Here it is.  The defect is on the right edge below the yellow text.

I didn't mean to imply that this was a defect unique to this cover.  It doesn't look to me like a handling defect, so I was just curious how it would be treated.  It probably wouldn't get a 9.8 anyway due to the lower right corner damage.

20230309_195432.thumb.jpg.dee8e663d290fdaa02b9806c458b9b3b.jpg

On 3/10/2023 at 7:10 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I am assuming that your original pic is highly magnified, looking at your new pic, my old eyes cannot spot the ticks, even enlarging the photo.

Yes, the original is 4x on my smartphone.  I can barely see them in the newer photo, but I know where to look.

Edited by Tom789
Added info.