• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We love collecting Golden Age books, but which series are the best for reading?
1 1

45 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2023 at 10:00 PM, adamstrange said:

I enjoy most Basil Wolverton, Jack Cole and Bill Everett stories.  Quirky but beautifully illustrated. 

There's a number of misc. artists who drew bizarre stories with enough enthusiasm to make them fun.  Fletcher Hanks would be at the top of that particular list.

Wolverton, Cole, and Everett all wrote and illustrated many of their own stories.  So did Barks and Kurtzman.  They are among the best of the Golden Age and I don't it is coincidental that such writer-artists told better stories.

On 3/10/2023 at 3:40 PM, batman_fan said:

A VERY unpopular opinion

Star Spangled Comics by S&K featuring the Guardian and the Newsboy Legion.  I don’t know why, but I always liked these stories even though they are a bit goofy.

Any answer to the original poster's question has to be qualified by the observation that tastes differ widely. For someone who likes goofy, wacky humor, many of the funny animal books would be enjoyable reads even though there often isn't a compelling plot.

Most of The Hangman stories in Pep and Hangman and Black Hood comics were great. Lucey, Novick and Fuji did some great work.

The Firefly was a great series in Top Notch Comics. From 8-27 with the last story in 27 ending with to be continued. It never was as the comic became Top Notch Laugh. The horribly tragic Bob Wood did some fine work.

Edited by The Black Hand ®

AFA pre code crime, I collected the full run of Wanted Comics because I found the stories entertaining.  A special feature, which they apparently copied from Crime Does Not Pay, was "Mr. Crime", a sarcastic host who may have been a model for the three EC horror hosts.

On 3/13/2023 at 8:38 AM, 143ksk said:

Barks ducks are still my favorite read from the pre code era. I would also add Walt Kelly (Pogo and other works) and Little Lulu.

I agree with that statement. I would add any Golden age Disney as good reads, though many were still made for newspapers (like Floyd Gottfredson's Mickey). Also TinTim albums.

Tastes vary widely, as pointed out by many.

I find that all the actual COMIC books from the GA, meaning the funny books meant to be funny, are hysterically good.  Whether they were strip reprints or not.

But really, for me, I can read just about any GA comic, of any genre, and be really happy.  I love so much of it.

For people who say that the great majority of the GA stories are outdated or simple, etc., etc., I respect that as another person’s opinion, but for me personally that makes very little sense.  If anything, I vastly prefer GA stories to SA/BA/etc stories.

I've always enjoyed Atomic age Sci-Fi and horror. 

The post Code books had the added fun of trying to get things past the comic code. So I always found a lot of creativity in Atlas Sci-Fi and even DC titles (Strange Adventure, House of Secrets and House of mystery).  

Some of the stories are awful and I'll just skip them. But a lot of them remind me of episodes of the Twilight Zone. Complete with a dramatic twist in the end that no one sees coming.... Or, at least, I didn't see coming....  

Everett's Atlas work is really great. 

I'll also second EC. When I think of EC, I usually think of their dramatic covers. But a lot of the stories were very good as well... Some bits of humor and irony. 

For more of a hero feel, The Spirit was very well written. I love it because Eisner clearly took comic books seriously.  

On 3/14/2023 at 5:20 AM, KCOComics said:

I've always enjoyed Atomic age Sci-Fi and horror. 

The post Code books had the added fun of trying to get things past the comic code. So I always found a lot of creativity in Atlas Sci-Fi and even DC titles (Strange Adventure, House of Secrets and House of mystery).  

Some of the stories are awful and I'll just skip them. But a lot of them remind me of episodes of the Twilight Zone. Complete with a dramatic twist in the end that no one sees coming.... Or, at least, I didn't see coming....  

Everett's Atlas work is really great. 

I'll also second EC. When I think of EC, I usually think of their dramatic covers. But a lot of the stories were very good as well... Some bits of humor and irony. 

For more of a hero feel, The Spirit was very well written. I love it because Eisner clearly took comic books seriously.  

I have always collected PCH. But when I got done (or close), I eased into the post code Atlas stuff. Yeah, not as “graphic” but still a lot of fun stuff. Some great art. I have been pecking away at all the great Everett covers.

But, there is EC and then there is everything else…

I don't know, I always love reading the early solo Batman stories from late 30's ..... yes, I don't think they are worthy of study in a Grade 12 English class, but just great to see the first stories of the Dark Knight and how ruthless and serious he was, before the campiness set in.....

On 3/14/2023 at 11:02 AM, Robot Man said:

I have always collected PCH. But when I got done (or close), I eased into the post code Atlas stuff. Yeah, not as “graphic” but still a lot of fun stuff. Some great art. I have been pecking away at all the great Everett covers.

But, there is EC and then there is everything else…

In a hobby that's become inundated with "investors" and high priced comics, I have a deep appreciation for Atomic age Atlas.  They are still relatively affordable, the art is great, and you can actually read them since few have been entombed.  

Don't get me wrong, I chase SA keys and spend to much on PCH and Romance and GA hero books... But if I'm honest, I get allot more enjoyment (and less anxiety) from buying $25 VG Atlas horror books and just reading them.  

On 3/14/2023 at 10:48 AM, KCOComics said:

But if I'm honest, I get allot more enjoyment (and less anxiety) from buying $25 VG Atlas horror books and just reading them.  

Please to tell where you find VG Atlas horror books for $25?

On 3/14/2023 at 4:46 PM, fifties said:

Please to tell where you find VG Atlas horror books for $25?

It's probably a bit of exaggeration but I've picked up several on the boards for under $100. 

During Covid I picked up 7 or 8 issues at an antique store for $100

On 3/14/2023 at 8:23 PM, mtlevy1 said:

I sold some pretty beat up Atlas at the California con at $20 - 30 each - undercopies - the exception not the rule though

What genre?