• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've Made A Huge Mistake : Instant Regret of Sales, Trades or Buys You've Made
2 2

93 posts in this topic

I regret everything I sell lol. From ASM 166,245,255,262,265,268 double cover, 275,297 all CGC 9.9 back in 2008-2010 era seeing as I sold most for 1200-1900 some around 900USD and I watched one of them go for almost 8k in the last couple years. ASM 275 cgc 9.9 on comic link. Last sale I sold my ASM201-202 Stan Lee SS cgc 9.8s along with a 220 and 251 SL ss 9.8 and boatloads of other SS 9.8s. The collecting game is fun. The selling game is regret when you love the books but it is what it is. Gotta move on and keep on collecting and or rebuilding from that point on ;-)

On 3/11/2023 at 10:35 AM, shadroch said:

My regret is not getting into original art when it was dirt cheap.  

Some new modern artists though, you could take a gamble on a new artist... Just a thought. I encourage discovery lol but hopefully those kind of thoughts are out there...

On 3/11/2023 at 5:16 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

Well, son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven't done.

I agree: I regret the comics now sold or traded away, far more than the ones I didn't buy when I had the chance. You can't miss what you never had. (Not as much anyways!) 

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 3/11/2023 at 12:26 PM, shadroch said:

I will say that six months after selling 99.9% of my comics, I have no regrets. 

That's the over under right there. I'm glad you're satisfied.

Luckily nothing too crazy for me - my biggest regrets are buying a DC Comics Presents 9.0 for $475 at the height of the hype, and a 9.2 TMNT 1 4th print for $275. I also threw in a best offer of $150 on an ASM 347 9.6 that got accepted (had a couple of drinks and was bored on eBay, not a good combo). And I bought in heavy on Stray Dogs, including paying $175 for a #1 9.8. All of these have gone down quite a bit since the boom days of the past couple of years.

Most of the books I've overpaid for (or more accurately: lost value on) have been graded books, but those 4 are my worst. Stuff like the Batman keys have mostly held their value close to what I paid for them, and the Silver Age books are long-term holds anyway.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 3/11/2023 at 12:44 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Luckily nothing too crazy for me - my biggest regrets are buying a DC Comics Presents 9.0 for $475 at the height of the hype, and a 9.2 TMNT 1 4th print for $275. I also threw in a best offer of $150 on an ASM 347 9.6 that got accepted (had a couple of drinks and was bored on eBay, not a good combo). And I bought in heavy on Stray Dogs, including paying $175 for a #1 9.8. All of these have gone down quite a bit since the boom days of the past couple of years.

Most of the books I've overpaid for (or more accurately: lost value on) have been graded books, but those 4 are my worst. Stuff like the Batman keys have mostly held their value close to what I paid for them, and the Silver Age books are long-term holds anyway.

Amen. It's been tough, so that like the news, I've had to simmer down of keeping a watchful eye myself. It's not as easy when there are encouraging factors at different rates of interest. ie. Fanfare.

I've talked about this piece here on the boards ad nauseam - but I had instant regret even before I sold it, as I had it on auction:

1584487920_RedSonjaGonzaloMayoFramed.thumb.jpeg.3f9cf55c2cfebc86554d29fc3bd691e7.jpeg

Everything that wasn't nailed down was being sold to fund our restaurant (comics, comic art, etc) and this was the one piece I knew I didn't want to part with. I went back-and-forth with the idea of cancelling the ComicLink auction for it, but I had to be responsible to our business endeavor. In the grand scheme of things, I told myself that the sacrifice would be worth it (it was) and once it sold, I was bummed out immediately.

As luck and perseverance would have it, I managed to buy it back 7 years later at 4X what I sold it for. :cry: But, I have no regret for paying that, it's worth every penny to me.

I sold off a lot of art at the time (Bronze age Ms. Marvel action pages, John Buscema 6-panel Thor pages - with action, no less! - from #210 for $500 each and a (newer 2000 era) Frank Brunner Red Sonja cover for $1000 :() that have gone up to 5-10X that now. Would I have still had them? Probably - I loved my comic art and knew that OA is a long-term asset rather than something you flip. But no regrets on anything I sold except for this Gonzalo Mayo Red Sonja piece, and thanks to the way things have turned out, I was able to buy it back.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 3/11/2023 at 9:02 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Not instant regret, but I bought this book advertised as a VF+ 8.5 back in the day on these forums.  Prior to receiving the book I got a PM from another boardie that the seller cracked out a CGC 8.0

Being overly principled at the time,  I took offence that the seller didn’t disclose that it was previously slabbed.  I returned the book even though it probably was an 8.5:tonofbricks:

AF9D8A76-A3E2-47DA-817D-5CA4CF58D521.jpeg.ca29703d05b9b105cb295339b801b449.jpeg

Looks like it has pretty nice page quality, too... :violin:

Regret worked out well for me in some respects. :angel:  When I parted with a few of my treasured childhood SA & Bronze age keys some years back via a CL auction :boo:- it just fueled my subsequent desire with a vengeance to acquire those keys back & more but in multiples.  So 'regret' worked out well in the end but I remind myself unless you are King Tut everything we value and possess in life has to be let go at some point before we turn to dust :preach:.  

Edited by Roger66

On 3/11/2023 at 6:33 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I purchased a asm129 9.4 on the boards, the seller took forever to ship out, i was so annoyed with the seller (and all the stories on why they hadn't shipped) that i sold the book as soon as i received it. i think i sold it for less than i paid as i was so angry with the seller i wanted nothing to do with that book.

hm  Humm… that’s cutting off your nose to spite your face…:roflmao:

On 3/11/2023 at 8:35 AM, shadroch said:

My regret is not getting into original art when it was dirt cheap.  

MANY years ago, I used to go to a local comic shop in town. The owner, Richard Kyle was good friends with Jack Kirby. He had framed covers and splash pages all down the wall for $150. each. I didn’t have the money and didn’t really like Kirby that much anyway…:facepalm: