• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've Made A Huge Mistake : Instant Regret of Sales, Trades or Buys You've Made
2 2

93 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2023 at 3:31 PM, apocalypse76 said:

This might sound kind of noobish but why did a book labeled with color touch get a blue label?

From the CGC bible:  :preach:

"CGC may give a comic book a Universal grade even with the presence of a very small amount of glue or color touch, referred to in the hobby as "blue with notes." To qualify for this classification, a book must have only small amounts of glue that don't serve a function (such as holding a tear or split together) and/or very small color touch that cumulatively totals not more than the surface area of 1/16 of an inch. Comic books printed after 1949 don't qualify for the color touch note in Universal grades, but glue notes are allowed on any comic, regardless of age."

On 3/12/2023 at 10:56 AM, The Lions Den said:

"CGC may give a comic book a Universal grade even with the presence of a very small amount of glue or color touch, referred to in the hobby as "blue with notes." To qualify for this classification, a book must have only small amounts of glue that don't serve a function (such as holding a tear or split together) and/or very small color touch that cumulatively totals not more than the surface area of 1/16 of an inch. Comic books printed after 1949 don't qualify for the color touch note in Universal grades, but glue notes are allowed on any comic, regardless of age."

Very interesting, thank you Johnny

On 3/12/2023 at 12:01 PM, apocalypse76 said:

Very interesting, thank you Johnny

You're welcome! 

And these criteria did stem from the fact that several of the best surviving examples of key Golden Age books had small amounts of glue and color touch applied to the spine, usually to repair minor printing defects. To avoid significant devaluation of those books, CGC created the "blue with notes" categorization. 

On 3/12/2023 at 11:56 AM, The Lions Den said:

Comic books printed after 1949 don't qualify for the color touch note in Universal grades..."

Do you know why this is?

On 3/12/2023 at 10:56 AM, The Lions Den said:

GetImage.aspx?c=3204671&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=My8xMi8yMDIzIDE6MDU6NTUgUE0%3d @The Lions Den I guess this goes for tape too?

Graders Notes:

Grader Notes:
insert/poster;
light creasing to cover;
light staining to cover;
moderate tears to cover;
moderate wear full right of front cover;
small piece out right bottom of back cover;
tape residue interior spine. (less...)

I have a lot of longer term regret for selling things prematurely, but I think the only instant regret I've had is when I sold my almost complete run of Gaiman's Sandman back in the early 2000s.  I started collecting the book around issue 30 and went back and got almost every issue in high grade, missing only a couple issues.  I figured I would sell them and just keep the TPBs for reading.  The instant regret came when the auction ended at only around $100.  :tonofbricks:

At least someone got a good deal and was probably very happy.  (shrug)  I've been wanting to get a #1 again for quite a while now, but high grade copies are still more than I'm currently willing to pay.

Comics? Nothing really. Probably sold the Star Wars 1 35 cent variant that is featured in Overstreet for too little, but needed the money at the time.

Original art? Lets just say that if I had the art I had in the early 80s now I'd be sitting pretty but at the time art was cheap.

But the one thing that I regretted INSTANTLY was the last page to Swamp Thing 53. I bought it from John Totleben in 1987. Sold it on eBay in 1999. That was an error.

Swamp Thing 53 pg 38 Comic Art

On 3/13/2023 at 10:57 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Comics? Nothing really. Probably sold the Star Wars 1 35 cent variant that is featured in Overstreet for too little, but needed the money at the time.

Original art? Lets just say that if I had the art I had in the early 80s now I'd be sitting pretty but at the time art was cheap.

But the one thing that I regretted INSTANTLY was the last page to Swamp Thing 53. I bought it from John Totleben in 1987. Sold it on eBay in 1999. That was an error.

Swamp Thing 53 pg 38 Comic Art

I also bought a piece of Miracleman art directly from John in the late 90s, that I subsequently sold on ebay about 7 years ago, and have deeply regretted since.

I sold off 95% of my collection following a lay-off in 2014. Some went to Clink, a large chunk sold here on the Boards.

Of those thousands of books, the two I will never own again are:

Showcase # 4 (CGC 3.0) - sold for $2,600 - this was just months before the Flash TV show debuted.

TMNT # 1 (CGC 5.0) - sold for ~$2,200.

On 3/14/2023 at 5:21 PM, Devil Horns 🤘 said:

I've seen a Showcase #4 and an AF #15 with this notation. My guess is they wanted to keep it Golden Age only and the Atom Age comes in between GA and SA starting in 1950. 

Are there any Church books after 1950? If not, that might explain it too.

There are some - there are a couple ECs.

Around 2000 I walked into my LCS and sold off about a short box of my best stuff for $100.  I know the following books were in there: Spawn 1-50, ASM 361 and many other ASMs from about 1992 to 1994/5, Wolverine 1 (not limited series), Spidey 1-20s or 30s, PPSM 1, key X-Men’s from that period, and some other good stuff that I got completely robbed on.  I knew my mistake as soon as I walked out the door.

Edited by Browns81