• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Wolverine #1 (1982)
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Corner bends, indentations on cover, spotting on back cover. As it is, CGC tends to knock indentations way harder than they should. this would probably come back a 7. However, this is a good cnp candidate. If you can get rid of the spotting on the back and the indentations on the front then all you  are really left with is the corner bends. Might go up to an 8.5 depending on how the cnp goes. Love this book. It's definitely on my short list of prospective acquisitions. 

On 3/16/2023 at 6:55 PM, SolidShredder said:

Corner bends, indentations on cover, spotting on back cover. As it is, CGC tends to knock indentations way harder than they should. this would probably come back a 7. However, this is a good cnp candidate. If you can get rid of the spotting on the back and the indentations on the front then all you  are really left with is the corner bends. Might go up to an 8.5 depending on how the cnp goes. Love this book. It's definitely on my short list of prospective acquisitions. 

Thanks for the feedback. This is one of my favorites as well ever since I saw my older brother's copy years ago. One of those comics I just had to have. 

What is going on with this corner. It appears as though it has been rat-chewed yet when you open the book there doesn't appear to be any damage, allbeit now when I look at the front cover I can't see the rat-chew 1739343445_wolverine1.1.jpeg.7485f9370d33ca360639e2f012e3aefd.jpeg

wolverine 1.jpeg

Edited by timfinz

On 3/18/2023 at 11:12 AM, timfinz said:

What is going on with this corner.

Books of this era were sometimes cut a little weird and would curve in a little sharply at the spine. Add some corner wear on top of that and it gives the illusion that a piece is missing. If you look at the top corner, it curves in as well just minus the wear. Also, this is an extreme closeup, so it looks deceptively large. It probably only affects the actual cover and not any of the leaves. So, it makes sense you wouldn't see it when the book is open. That's my take anyway. 

On 3/18/2023 at 11:12 AM, timfinz said:

What is going on with this corner. It appears as though it has been rat-chewed yet when you open the book there doesn't appear to be any damage, allbeit now when I look at the front cover I can't see the rat-chew 1739343445_wolverine1.1.jpeg.7485f9370d33ca360639e2f012e3aefd.jpeg

wolverine 1.jpeg

Very odd. Maybe it's the picture? There's definitely no rat chew on this one :)

Unfortunately I don't have the book anymore as I've sent to get pressed and graded. I'll let you all know once I get back how it did. 

Echoing what others have said, the straining/foxing on the BC and the CB crease on the FC probably cap this at 7.5, even with a C&P. That said...I don't think a 7.5 is out of the question, as a lot of the other creasing/indents look like good candidates to come out nicely, and the FC presents really nicely.