• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC lost 38 of my comics
7 7

98 posts in this topic

On 6/27/2023 at 12:43 PM, Joe Fox said:

It looks like CGC don't think they will be able to find where they put my books. My biggest ever vintage tier submission with books I'll probably never find again.I feel like quitting the hobby.

That really sucks! I’m right there with you also wanting to quit the hobby. 

On 6/30/2023 at 7:17 AM, brentio said:

Just got a text this morning that my comics were found.

Wow, that's great news! Meanwhile CGC seem to have given up on trying to find mine. So far their offers have been awful, far below, the replacement costs. I can't see how I can submit to them again after this. As you can imagine I'm not having fun with this hobby right now. The whole thing is depressing and I really don't need this. I have about 1000 CGC slabs, perhaps it's now time to sell them and find another hobby.

On 6/29/2023 at 4:56 PM, Joe Fox said:
On 6/29/2023 at 3:17 PM, brentio said:

Just got a text this morning that my comics were found.

Wow, that's great news! Meanwhile CGC seem to have given up on trying to find mine. So far their offers have been awful, far below, the replacement costs. I can't see how I can submit to them again after this. As you can imagine I'm not having fun with this hobby right now. The whole thing is depressing and I really don't need this. I have about 1000 CGC slabs, perhaps it's now time to sell them and find another hobby.

whether you go or stay with the hobby, you gotta get CGC to make you as whole as possible (support your estimates).  Escalate all the way to the top, publicize, call local news agencies, lawyers if the value is high enough.  Don't drop settle for anything unreasonable.

Make a calm, reasoned, supportable estimate, and keep escalating.

On 7/1/2023 at 6:22 AM, revat said:

whether you go or stay with the hobby, you gotta get CGC to make you as whole as possible (support your estimates).  Escalate all the way to the top, publicize, call local news agencies, lawyers if the value is high enough.  Don't drop settle for anything unreasonable.

Make a calm, reasoned, supportable estimate, and keep escalating.

Thank you for your support, it's meaningful. Any idea how to escalate? I don't really want to get involved in a fight with CGC because I still have books I wanted to send it (although I've stopped buying anything new now). So far I haven't found their offers acceptable. Why should I be left without books or out of pocket for their mistake which they admit to making?

On 6/30/2023 at 3:39 PM, Joe Fox said:

Thank you for your support, it's meaningful. Any idea how to escalate? I don't really want to get involved in a fight with CGC because I still have books I wanted to send it (although I've stopped buying anything new now). So far I haven't found their offers acceptable. Why should I be left without books or out of pocket for their mistake which they admit to making?

Lay out all the facts with as much notes as possible: receipts, notes, emails, contact dates (conversations notes), responses, timelines in a calm, professional, logically crafted email.

then lay out your case for compensation, with whatever relevant evidence for each individual book, plus any other costs.  But make sure you have a good, documentable reason for amount you’re asking for.  

email cgc customer service with all of it, then if you don’t get a positive response, ask to escalate to higher levels of staff and management.  Then keep escalating until you find the resolution you’re looking for.  

On 6/26/2023 at 4:24 PM, Gaard said:

@hym122 anything?

@Gaard I reached back out to CGC today since it’s been 9 days since I last heard back from them and they informed me the following: They stated there was no video footage to review. Our receiver is insisting that the book was not in the box and they reached out to you to let you know. If you insist that the book was in the box then I will bring your submission to claims attention. So sorry for this kind of news. 

I am in shock with the level of incompetence at the receiving department. How was there no video of when my books were received? The receiver emailed me on 6-20 that there was only 3 books in the order and I responded back immediately to him that he was wrong and I never heard back which is why I called customer service. It seems very suspect to me that a high grade key book goes missing. I only had 4 books in my order. The book missing was the first appearance of Darkseid (Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen 134). I spent a good deal of time and money getting a high grade copy of it and now it’s gone. Unfortunately I am not sure if next steps. I’d just like to get the book back at this point. 

I’m not sure if there is someone at CGC who monitors these forums but I’d like someone to reach out to me. Below are the scans of the book missing. 

CGC 6-6-2023 page 3.jpeg

CGC 6-6-2023 page 4.jpeg

On 7/1/2023 at 8:56 AM, revat said:

Lay out all the facts with as much notes as possible: receipts, notes, emails, contact dates (conversations notes), responses, timelines in a calm, professional, logically crafted email.

then lay out your case for compensation, with whatever relevant evidence for each individual book, plus any other costs.  But make sure you have a good, documentable reason for amount you’re asking for.  

email cgc customer service with all of it, then if you don’t get a positive response, ask to escalate to higher levels of staff and management.  Then keep escalating until you find the resolution you’re looking for.  

Actually I did all od that except ask to escalate. I'll do that after the long weekend. Thank you

On 7/1/2023 at 1:44 PM, hym122 said:

@Gaard I reached back out to CGC today since it’s been 9 days since I last heard back from them and they informed me the following: They stated there was no video footage to review. Our receiver is insisting that the book was not in the box and they reached out to you to let you know. If you insist that the book was in the box then I will bring your submission to claims attention. So sorry for this kind of news. 

I am in shock with the level of incompetence at the receiving department. How was there no video of when my books were received? The receiver emailed me on 6-20 that there was only 3 books in the order and I responded back immediately to him that he was wrong and I never heard back which is why I called customer service. It seems very suspect to me that a high grade key book goes missing. I only had 4 books in my order. The book missing was the first appearance of Darkseid (Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen 134). I spent a good deal of time and money getting a high grade copy of it and now it’s gone. Unfortunately I am not sure if next steps. I’d just like to get the book back at this point. 

I’m not sure if there is someone at CGC who monitors these forums but I’d like someone to reach out to me. Below are the scans of the book missing. 

CGC 6-6-2023 page 3.jpeg

CGC 6-6-2023 page 4.jpeg

This is disappointing but different from my case. In my case they acknowledged receipt of all the books but it's been a year and they say now that they don't know where they've put them. They do not dispute that they are responsible for the loss. They just aren't willing to pay for replacements.

@hym122 I'm not sure you will ever see that book again. If they are insisting that it never arrived, I doubt they would even spend time looking for it. I think the best you can hope for, at this point, is that CGC makes you right monetarily. Even that is doubtful, however, if they say they never received it. You can only hope. And don't stop calling/emailing them.

Thinking to myself: CGC receives comics worth $100s, $1000s , and even $10,000s. How can they not have video? Suspicious.

On 7/1/2023 at 6:19 AM, Joe Fox said:

This is disappointing but different from my case. In my case they acknowledged receipt of all the books but it's been a year and they say now that they don't know where they've put them. They do not dispute that they are responsible for the loss. They just aren't willing to pay for replacements.

They'll definitely pay the amount that you listed for the FMV on the list. Whether they pay more than that is not obligatory, but not unheard of either. Same advice ... don't stop calling/emailing them (there's more than 1 person working there).

On 7/1/2023 at 7:56 PM, Gaard said:

@hym122 I'm not sure you will ever see that book again. If they are insisting that it never arrived, I doubt they would even spend time looking for it. I think the best you can hope for, at this point, is that CGC makes you right monetarily. Even that is doubtful, however, if they say they never received it. You can only hope. And don't stop calling/emailing them.

Thinking to myself: CGC receives comics worth $100s, $1000s , and even $10,000s. How can they not have video? Suspicious.

They'll definitely pay the amount that you listed for the FMV on the list. Whether they pay more than that is not obligatory, but not unheard of either. Same advice ... don't stop calling/emailing them (there's more than 1 person working there).

Yes, thanks. The FMV is over a year old now of course as well as that not covering any other expenses like shipping fees etc. It falls far short of what it will cost me to replace these items in my collection.

On 6/30/2023 at 9:44 PM, hym122 said:

It literally says on their website there are security cameras at receiving for opening. So that's BS. Unless of course their security cameras aren't actually turned on which I would fully believe at this point.

On 7/1/2023 at 3:24 PM, Tnexus said:

It literally says on their website there are security cameras at receiving for opening. So that's BS. Unless of course their security cameras aren't actually turned on which I would fully believe at this point.

I will definitely be sending them the screenshot of this from their site. They were pretty nonchalant about oh we never received that book. The video is literally step one of their process. I will continue to push them on it. They are not back until Wednesday is what I was told by the CS rep who’s been working with me. 

I’m curious to know, if they lose a book, then go through some kind of claim process since it’s not located but then find the book down the road, what do they do with it. Do they contact me? Or do they keep it for themselves and sell it? Just curious as I am going to be keeping an eye out for this book now on sites like eBay. I have enough scans of it that I know the distinct markings it had. 

On 7/4/2023 at 3:15 AM, hym122 said:

I will definitely be sending them the screenshot of this from their site. They were pretty nonchalant about oh we never received that book. The video is literally step one of their process. I will continue to push them on it. They are not back until Wednesday is what I was told by the CS rep who’s been working with me. 

I’m curious to know, if they lose a book, then go through some kind of claim process since it’s not located but then find the book down the road, what do they do with it. Do they contact me? Or do they keep it for themselves and sell it? Just curious as I am going to be keeping an eye out for this book now on sites like eBay. I have enough scans of it that I know the distinct markings it had. 

You can discuss up front what will happen. You can agree to pay back any compensation that they gave you and the book will be yours again.

Back in 2004 they lost a book of mine a Eternals 15 if I remember right , the one with Hulk on the cover of 1 of the books.  I overestimated the value of all my books just for this reason I listed it at 150 and they gave me back the 150 even if the book would have come back a 9.8 it was still more then a 9.8 was going for back then . Its been 19 years now and never heard anything about how they found it . Stealing is something does occur in all companies , so who knows really , Its pretty disheartening to have to be the one instigating about the problem when its them that should keep you clued in on the problem at least somewhat at least every other day .

I have not submitted an "expensive" comic book for grading in a few years and was planning to do either this month or in August. However, I will have to think further about submitting them. If I decide to do so, as I have done in the past with billing issues, if there are any problems with my submissions CGC can be certain that I will follow-up with them endlessly until the matter is resolved to my satisfaction since I will have fully met my "obligation" to CGC and I expect likewise from the company.

It's crazy to me to think of sending in Hulk 1 , AF 15 , H 181 , JIM 83 now . I guess if I did just 1 of the books video taped thru the whole process all the way to delivered to the post office registered mail .Yet Comiclink does this all the time so who knows . I mean I would feel safer sending it to comiclink and having them submit it now .