• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC lost 38 of my comics
7 7

98 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2023 at 1:09 AM, davidking623 said:

It's crazy to me to think of sending in Hulk 1 , AF 15 , H 181 , JIM 83 now . I guess if I did just 1 of the books video taped thru the whole process all the way to delivered to the post office registered mail .Yet Comiclink does this all the time so who knows . I mean I would feel safer sending it to comiclink and having them submit it now .

Right, it makes sense to work with a 3rd party that does it all the time

On 7/4/2023 at 3:03 PM, SSSnake said:

How would that help? Wouldn't you have to pay twice the shipping too? Clink ain't submitting it for free...

I have dealt with Comiclink and it is smooth as glass for me probaly worth the sacrifice of shipping for reliability and trustwortthness I am talking big dollar books .

Anyone know if CGC tends to give better grades out to larger companies that do submissions like comiclink, or does it have no advantage and we’ll get about the same success when submitting by ourselves?

On 7/7/2023 at 11:08 AM, Cnight said:

Anyone know if CGC tends to give better grades out to larger companies that do submissions like comiclink, or does it have no advantage and we’ll get about the same success when submitting by ourselves?

Well, being "third-party" means that all grades are supposed to be anonymous... However... There might be some history with Heritage Auctions. I'm not sure about anywhere else.

On 7/7/2023 at 11:10 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Well, being "third-party" means that all grades are supposed to be anonymous... However... There might be some history with Heritage Auctions. I'm not sure about anywhere else.

A certain collection, that I will not name, comes to mind. Of course, one could argue, that their have been a few "certain" collections.

My conspiracy cup runneth over today ... ... ... or does it. :)

On 7/7/2023 at 10:32 AM, namisgr said:

Most of the time, though, it's very likely the graders are not aware of whose submission they are grading.

Sure but I suspect some of the big boys like Heritage regularly drop in truckloads of books and the graders may not be told where they are from but have a good idea who submitted the books. 

On 7/7/2023 at 10:59 AM, Joe Fox said:

Honsetly speaking dealing with CGC's claims department is the worst experience I've ever had in this hobby :-(

I’ve read all your posts in this thread and without knowing what books were submitted, the grade estimates and the values you placed on them all this other stuff is just emotion. Don’t get me wrong, you might be right but without a few more facts who knows?

On the bright side, my guess is with a little more patience the books will magically appear in (hopefully) shiny cases. Couple thousand of mine always did. 

On 7/7/2023 at 3:38 PM, thehumantorch said:

Sure but I suspect some of the big boys like Heritage regularly drop in truckloads of books and the graders may not be told where they are from but have a good idea who submitted the books. 

Agreed.

On 7/7/2023 at 12:32 PM, namisgr said:

Most of the time, though, it's very likely the graders are not aware of whose submission they are grading.

You could very well be right. But other than "that's what they've always said", how does one determine that it's 'very likely'?

On 7/7/2023 at 4:06 PM, Gaard said:

You could very well be right. But other than "that's what they've always said", how does one determine that it's 'very likely'?

Because CGC has said they don't, and former graders have confirmed it.

On 7/8/2023 at 4:57 AM, ThothAmon said:

I’ve read all your posts in this thread and without knowing what books were submitted, the grade estimates and the values you placed on them all this other stuff is just emotion. Don’t get me wrong, you might be right but without a few more facts who knows?

On the bright side, my guess is with a little more patience the books will magically appear in (hopefully) shiny cases. Couple thousand of mine always did. 

Sure. I've been deliberately holding back on the specifics as I don't want to prejudice any converstations I'm having with them but essentially if I accept their offer I will only be able to replace about half the books.

The ideal solution is of course for them to find the books but since it's already been more than a year I don't have high hopes that they will.

I haven't reached over a thousand books yet myself but was getting close. This was the first issue other than a few MEs that I've had over the years with them. With the exception of the member of the claims department I've been dealing with everyone else at CGC has been polite and friendly.

On 7/7/2023 at 11:32 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

A certain collection, that I will not name, comes to mind. Of course, one could argue, that their have been a few "certain" collections.

My conspiracy cup runneth over today ... ... ... or does it. :)

Id say your conspiracy cup runneth low. Allow me to fill it. The comic hobby is a very tight and incestuous community. Most large dealers, comic auction employees, artists/writers and other industry pros and big time collectors have personal and business relationships with each other. It wouldn't be a stretch to hear about a big submission or high quality submission making its way to a grading company and for employees of said grading company to hear of it.

The graders aren't supposed to know the provenance or origins of the comics put in front of them but there are some big books whose owners may well be known. Then there's the standard office gossip. 20 huge boxes from Dallas, TX (Heritage) or Maine/Chicago (ComicLink), or NYC (Metropolis/Comicconnect) sending the receiving dept into overdrive. Shift managers share the news in the halls and during lunch hours, word gets around or a call from upper management comes down to the pressing and grading service to put a high priority rush on this new batch of books. It wouldn't be too hard to figure out whose books those are from.

Tin foil hat time: a call from dealer/auction/Big Name Collector to CGC mgmt. List of books, cgc submission info and tracking info. Cgc mgmt relays info to head grader and trusted associates. Books get the preferential treatment.

This happens in every industry. Why would comics be any different?

Edited by justafan

Oooh, this could be the plot of a movie, or comic book series.  Who is going to stop the organized crime ring dealing in high valued comics?

I do feel bad for the OP and hope my comics are not lost.  But I doubt there is a conspiracy going on.

Getting concerned that they've lost another package... delivered on 26th June 2023 still not even scanned 12th July 2023... including a grail I've spent years searching for... what on earth is going on at CGC??

On 7/12/2023 at 10:10 PM, namisgr said:

What did they say about your package delivered on June 26th when you called them?

"not showing this tracking number as being scanned into our warehouse yet but it may have been missed" - they asked for the submission number and would look into it...