• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists who kept their art?
2 2

41 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2023 at 2:43 PM, maraxusofkeld said:

Pages that are available of theirs were generally the pages split with the inker.

Andy and Adam held onto all of their artwork when they started in the industry. About 20 years ago Andy sold a little of his artwork and that was the point I bought all of Andy's and Matt Ryan's pages from X-Men #30. About 6 years later found out he discovered the 3 remaining pages. So now I have a complete book of X-Men #30.

Edited by Brian Peck

On 3/17/2023 at 8:50 PM, Brian Peck said:

A number of artist held onto their art, Frank Thorne was one of them. About 8 years ago he sold all of his artwork. He figured his family wouldn't know what to do with it when he died.

I don't think that Frank kept any of his Gold Key art.

On 3/17/2023 at 6:15 PM, fsumavila said:

It was Jim Shooter who allegedly caught Kane red-handed, no?

Probably.

Kane had then to "take refuge" to DC Comics the whole remaining time of Shooter's tenure at Marvel...

So he went back only years after (1990 on -> some 1990 Spider-Man Annuals, his Two-Gun Kid story from MCP #116 from 1992, and so on...). Time had done its work...

You can get glimpses of this story in the really interesting read from Howard Chaykin "Hey Kids! Comics!" vol. 1. Here, in HKC #4, for example :

I_exXRfGRfI3JNnEuKtkL8GBSzfKrADTa7ca6gEu

(if you consider it now as a potential tempting read, beware of everything that evoked in this book, vol. 2 and probably the upcoming vol. 3 : even if "Ray" has huge bits of Kane, some others characters are composites of several artists, and even some situations are composites. Let's say that's part of the fun reading this kind of comics)  

I have often wondered how many art pieces finished on the "market" back in the 70's due to Kane incursions to the "Vault"... Which are now on Heritage, several owners later.

Let's say every person has his dark side.

At least, IMHO, in retropect, this incident gave us more wonderful Superman/Green Lantern/Atom, self-inked, stories there, instead of wrongly suited inks by Danny Bulanadi on Kane's Conan or Micronauts issues...

And knowing that didn't prevent me several years ago to add Kane pieces to my little collection. Guess I separated the man from the Artist here.

After all, he was a heck of an Artist. That was one of his bright sides.  

Edited by Ecclectica

On 3/18/2023 at 12:36 AM, Buzzetta said:

Also younger but I know that Marcos Martin has pretty much kept everything under his lock and key.  Most of the stuff that is out there is inked over his blue lines. 

If I remember correclty, we have seen somewhere, on this site, that Frank Cho keep his interior art pages

(just tried to find the nice picture with all his portfolios stored together, with the issue name and number on the side, but couldn't succeed...).

On 3/18/2023 at 12:27 AM, Ecclectica said:

If I remember correclty, we have seen somewhere, on this site, that Frank Cho keep his interior art pages

(just tried to find the nice picture with all his portfolios stored together, with the issue name and number on the side, but couldn't succeed...).

On 3/17/2023 at 6:27 PM, Will_K said:

Related topic.