• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joe Giella has passed away at the age of 94.
2 2

20 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2023 at 7:55 PM, ANDSOLDIT said:

Aww I'm sad to see this. Another great one lost. 😔

It is.  Few left now from the period when I started collecting comics, in my case here, through the DC reprints in the early 70s. A time beginning to feel very distant, more and more.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Besides Al Jaffee, Sy Barry was inking for DC in 1949, the same year Romita Sr. started and Sy is still with us.. 

Ramona Fradon is in her 90s' (and still doing great commissions) but started in the 50s'.

We lost Allen Bellman, Lily Renee, so many other Golden Age creators in the past few years- we need to cherish them more while we've got them.

On 3/22/2023 at 8:17 PM, cgcsketcherz said:

Ramona Fradon?

Ramona didn't start in the Forties. (edit: my apologies- double checking that, apparently Ramona did do an uncredited story in 1949, before starting in comics full time in 1951)

My girlfriend got a commission from her two months ago of Miss Fury... it's fantastic. 

Edited by lordbyroncomics
correction

On 3/22/2023 at 11:56 AM, picon3 said:

Should have been “sad to see this” not confused. I remember his work from the 1970s…Paul 

You can change your reaction on a post after you've already made one.

Every time I met Joe, he greeted me with a smile and loved talking art and books. What a gentle soul- we have lost a great one. I still tell everyone that he told me I was the best looking Boy Wonder he’s seen besides Burt Ward. He’s done many charity events and gave back to our community because that’s who he was. I’m fortunate enough to have gotten a Robin sketch from him. @Jeffery Harnett Thank you for your support of Joe and the fans. I know you were Joe’s biggest fan! God bless all. Our prayers are with you and the family.