• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you specify what color marker you want the signer to sign with per book?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2023 at 10:09 PM, paullam15 said:

On the window bag?

yes, assuming you will be taping off an area (frequently with blue painters tape) where you want the sig to appear, just write on the tape ex. please sign with xxx color marker

no guarantee your request will be honored but it usually is

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

I don't understand why BLACK is the go to marker.   It looks terrible on most covers.  The SIGNATURE TEAM at cgc should be a little more aware of their surroundings - when they present the book to the person signing, cgc should have a recommended marker in-hand.   I know these people sign thousands of books in hours -- but the consumer is paying good money and often the result is sub-par because of the color of ink - a tiny bit of extra effort                                      

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary

On 3/29/2023 at 10:20 PM, PDidds said:

I don't understand why BLACK is the go to marker.   It looks terrible on most covers.  The SIGNATURE TEAM at cgc should be a little more aware of their surroundings - when they present the book to the person signing, cgc should have a recommended marker in-hand.   I know these people sign thousands of books in hours -- but the consumer is paying good money and often the result is sub-par because of the color of ink - a tiny bit of extra effort                                      

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary

This is a case where I would hardly put the blame on CGC so long as they are providing a variety of markers.  90% of the time the talent signing are artists, if anyone should be aware of what does and doesn’t work/look good it is them

On 3/29/2023 at 9:30 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

This is a case where I would hardly put the blame on CGC so long as they are providing a variety of markers.  90% of the time the talent signing are artists, if anyone should be aware of what does and doesn’t work/look good it is them

CGC STAFF:  Hey Jim Lee, I think blue is gonna look better than gold on that one.  Thanks for asking my opinion about the pen choice for this book.  Only 30,923 more books to do. 

The few times I’ve gone to a con to get books signed I bring my own markers and ask them if they wouldn’t mind using them. For CGC I’ve had about a 75% success rate on requesting a specific color and getting it. Jim Lee was very good about doing this, which was a surprise given the thousands of books he had to go through. McFarlane seemingly ignored my requests but it’s understandable given the volume of books he had to go through