• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations for a TMNT #1 First Print
1 1

23 posts in this topic

First of all, no, I'm not willing to sell or trade it. 
I have a PLOD 7.0 with Pro color touch. I'd like to get it cracked, have the color touch removed, get it cleaned and pressed and re-submit it. I'm not someone who gets a lot of comics graded, but I will be now since I have this and a bunch of other stuff that I'll be sending in. Anyway, I'm looking for advice, thanks in advance. I'll be hanging around the boards more now that I'm getting back into the hobby. On the note of grading and restorations, I also have an All American Comics #3 and a Speed Comics #3 that I'm considering having some resoration work done to, advice on that is also welcom.

On 3/28/2023 at 2:14 AM, AmbassadorSlip said:

I have a PLOD 7.0 with Pro color touch. I'd like to get it cracked, have the color touch removed, get it cleaned and pressed and re-submit it. I'm not someone who gets a lot of comics graded, but I will be now since I have this and a bunch of other stuff that I'll be sending in. Anyway, I'm looking for advice, thanks in advance. I'll be hanging around the boards more now that I'm getting back into the hobby. On the note of grading and restorations, I also have an All American Comics #3 and a Speed Comics #3 that I'm considering having some resoration work done to, advice on that is also welcom.

I suggest taking a look at examples of color touch being scraped off other comics before pursuing this path.

On 3/28/2023 at 4:31 PM, AmbassadorSlip said:

So, nobody knows of a pro restorer who can pull the color touch off using chemicals? I wasn't limiting myself to CCS as the only option.

The only pro of using CCS is, if they miss a spot of CT when they initially remove it, they will have to fix it.  If someone else does it, you could still get a PLOD and have to pay to have it reslabbed.

On 3/28/2023 at 5:31 PM, AmbassadorSlip said:

So, nobody knows of a pro restorer who can pull the color touch off using chemicals? I wasn't limiting myself to CCS as the only option.

What's your ultimate goal?  Using chemicals will still get you a PLOD.  So you'll go from a 7.0 plod to a (maybe) 6.5 plod.  You're better of just leaving it in the case.

On 3/30/2023 at 4:13 PM, jaybuck43 said:

What's your ultimate goal?  Using chemicals will still get you a PLOD.  So you'll go from a 7.0 plod to a (maybe) 6.5 plod.  You're better of just leaving it in the case.

My ultimate goal was just to get the color touch removed. I don't understand, if I have the color touch removed with chemicals, I get a plod? Really?

On 3/30/2023 at 12:29 PM, Stronguy said:

The only pro of using CCS is, if they miss a spot of CT when they initially remove it, they will have to fix it.  If someone else does it, you could still get a PLOD and have to pay to have it reslabbed.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

On 3/30/2023 at 11:58 PM, AmbassadorSlip said:

My ultimate goal was just to get the color touch removed. I don't understand, if I have the color touch removed with chemicals, I get a plod? Really?

Don't worry about the chemicals.  They focus on the color touch - not whole cover so they can remove them on the specific area(s).  You won't get the PLOD

If you want them to restore your book, you will get either the Conserved or PLOD label but you want the restoration removal, that is different and your goal is to get the universal label.  HOWEVER, your book may downgrade after the restoration removal.  You can always call CCS.

On 3/28/2023 at 1:14 AM, AmbassadorSlip said:

If you aren't already aware, below is an example of a book with color touch removed. It's my book, and I bought it already graded like this. I knew what it was going in (and posted pics here to confirm), and I'm personally 100% happy with the book and the purchase - it's in my long-term personal collection.

But just be aware of what it looks like so you can decide if you'd rather look at your book as it is now with a purple label in the plastic, or as it could be, with a blue label but with marks and scrapes from literally using what amounts to a dental hook to scrape parts of the paper off of the spine/cover/wherever the color touch is on your book.

batman2321.thumb.JPG.960c2f46a00719587d7bd3a4fbbbc872.JPG]

batman2322.thumb.JPG.b0b49cca5ac584c5136fedeaffc66dd1.JPG

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 3/31/2023 at 6:03 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

If you aren't already aware, below is an example of a book with color touch removed. It's my book, and I bought it already graded like this. I knew what it was going in (and posted pics here to confirm), and I'm personally 100% happy with the book and the purchase - it's in my long-term personal collection.

But just be aware of what it looks like so you can decide if you'd rather look at your book as it is now with a purple label in the plastic, or as it could be, with a blue label but with marks and scrapes from literally using what amounts to a dental hook to scrape parts of the paper off of the spine/cover/wherever the color touch is on your book.

batman2321.thumb.JPG.960c2f46a00719587d7bd3a4fbbbc872.JPG]

batman2322.thumb.JPG.b0b49cca5ac584c5136fedeaffc66dd1.JPG

That explained why CCS didn't want to damage my two key issues.

Ok, well, y'all have convinced me to live with my PLOD. But now I have another question. I'd like to at least know where it is, how does one find the color touch? Is it a certain spectrum of light that they use?

On 4/2/2023 at 11:50 PM, AmbassadorSlip said:

I can't, no. I tried real hard, but I don't know what people use to make it show up.

Nice thing is that, if I recall correctly, professional CT involves no bleed through, so no chunks would have to be taken out. Just a scraping off.  Not really sure though.

On 4/3/2023 at 9:26 AM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

Nice thing is that, if I recall correctly, professional CT involves no bleed through, so no chunks would have to be taken out. Just a scraping off.  Not really sure though.

That is correct.  The professional designation means the materials used can be reversed.  In this case, it was likely a paint that can be scraped away.