• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great collection.

44 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2023 at 5:44 AM, Dark Knight said:

Great collection indeed! Truly a 1/1 type of collection that each of us would love to discover, or in this case inherited. 

I was reading comments about other people's viewpoint on different social media platforms and it seems that there are two sides/groups that are happening.

On one side of the group are people who are pissed off with the ex-wife (she divorced him because of hoarding all this stuff around the house) and the son (for not entirely interested with anything and resented his dad for amassing the collection) because of the $$$ signs they see after selling Dale's (the father) collection.  Now that he has passed away, they are both on board and are praising him for the collection because they are reaping the rewards.

On the other side, there are those who emphatize with the family because as JollyComics mentioned above, Dale placed his collection above his own wife and son and not telling them exactly what he was doing. Everything was kept a secret and that no one is allowed to see exactly what he was buying. Yes that can put a strain to the marriage and father/son relationships. 

But anyways, to each there own. Would've been great to hear Dale's side of the story, but unfortunately that won't happen.

Also what I gathered is that Dale was a regular at his lcs Kingdom Comics ij Detroit back in the late 70's and early 80's. Must've been the time he picked up some of these treasures.

There's a simple rule of thumb here.

1. Love and Family should be everything. 

2. You can't take anything with you so bear that in mind.

3. Money talks, especially after the event.

Pick one......or pick 'em all.  :banana:

The dad was truly a visionary of his time.  Who would've thought that these paper-made collectibles such as comics and cards could be worth millions today.  He had a plan insight by installing those huge storage metal containers inside his house.  It's like he time traveled to the future, saw how the world was during that time then traveled back to his current time to accumulate all these treasures.  Just remarkable!  

On 3/29/2023 at 11:23 AM, Dark Knight said:

The dad was truly a visionary of his time.  Who would've thought that these paper-made collectibles such as comics and cards could be worth millions today.  He had a plan insight by installing those huge storage metal containers inside his house.  It's like he time traveled to the future, saw how the world was during that time then traveled back to his current time to accumulate all these treasures.  Just remarkable!  

If that was true, he would have gone for Action 1 first :baiting:

On 3/29/2023 at 11:32 AM, woowoo said:

If that was true, he would have gone for Action 1 first :baiting:

Maybe he did buy an Action 1 but it hasn't been revealed yet or family is keeping in a secret.  Afterall, the dad was a big Superman fan!!! hm

On 3/29/2023 at 11:37 AM, Dark Knight said:

Maybe he did buy an Action 1 but it hasn't been revealed yet or family is keeping in a secret.  Afterall, the dad was a big Superman fan!!! hm

well Honda did come out with a HDMI plug in Honda :whistle:May be an image of car

I'm also thinking that maybe the dad got beaten out of buying an Action 1 by someone else. A lot of scenarios going on.  Hopefully his heirs can shed light to it in the documentary as to whether they have an Action 1 or whether it was a missed opportunity for the dad.

On 3/29/2023 at 11:44 AM, woowoo said:
On 3/29/2023 at 11:37 AM, Dark Knight said:

Does not matter his collection was great.

Absolutely!  

On 3/29/2023 at 11:43 AM, Dark Knight said:

I'm also thinking that maybe the dad got beaten out of buying an Action 1 by someone else. A lot of scenarios going on.  Hopefully his heirs can shed light to it in the documentary as to whether they have an Action 1 or whether it was a missed opportunity for the dad.

He did have a great collection. I did not see many other Golden age like Sup 2 up or Bat 2 up or any others. I heard the Tec 27 was his, but the label is different than the superman 1 or Batman 1. 

On 3/29/2023 at 11:49 AM, woowoo said:

He did have a great collection. I did not see many other Golden age like Sup 2 up or Bat 2 up or any others. I heard the Tec 27 was his, but the label is different than the superman 1 or Batman 1. 

Is it the same one being auctioned off right now on Heritage?

On 3/29/2023 at 7:47 PM, Pantodude said:

I don't know why, but I can't help but dwell on the contrast between the way this discovery of a family-owned and special hoard was brought to the public and handled since, and the way the Promise collection continues to remain a mystery in numerous respects.  It gives me pause about the authenticity of the whole Promise story (not of the books, but of the circumstances surrounding the books, including whether it was just a single "regular" family who owned them as opposed to a group of scheming collectors/dealers who figured out a way to cash out big).  Of course I hope it was/is legit!  But this is why, for me at least, transparency is so important in this hobby.  For example, to this day, not one interview with a family member relating to the Promise stuff, and everything about it was controlled by the auction house?  And no more details of the location of the books since the announcement of the find?  Is that right?  Please correct me if I'm wrong (and I'll revise this  specific post accordingly). 

I would much prefer to restore my faith in that find, as it affected the pricing of many non-Promise books along the way, and to this day. The inclusion of Promise sales on GPA/GoCollect inevitably continues unduly to affect how one prices the books in surrounding grades of the same issue.  Because the Promise stuff included formerly obscure and dollar bin GA books that now went for a lot more (sometimes A LOT more) due the Promise label, it also likely affected the pricing of numerous formerly unremarkable run books.  Someone less experienced with the hobby surely made the mistake, at least temporarily, of thinking all GA books were valuable due to being uncommon/old after seing that Promise result in GPA or GoCollect, etc.  I recall some examples of the really crazy prices fetched by not just Promise books, but non-ped versions of formerly unremarkable books since the Promise event. Some of those were posted here by boardies.  That the Promise event caused this wide-reaching price distortion is unfortunate for the unwary, but it likely would have happened regardless of the authenticity of the circumstances of the Promise books.  So while also troubling, the wide-reaching distortion would be easier to accept if I could at least be less suspicious of the alleged circumstances/story of the Promise find, and relatedly, its initial valuations. 

Isn't it the owner's decision on how much detail to disclose?  The Promise owners apparently didn't want to disclose too much detail, while the Watts family are fine with disclosing plenty of detail.  Different horses for different courses, there is no right or wrong, nor is there any obligation to share.  The Promise owners could very easily have just let the books seep quietly into the market place.

Also, I honestly doubt that the story behind the Promise books added anything to their price.  The books just happened to hit the market at exactly the right time.  To the extent that people elected to pay additional multiple(s) because of the story, well, that's their choice.  No guns were held to heads at any point during the proceedings.

On 3/30/2023 at 2:43 AM, Dark Knight said:

They don't know anything about his collecting.  That's kind of the whole point.

On 3/29/2023 at 8:55 PM, Dark Knight said:

don't think so, the books are (or will be) all hyped up with that dumb customized label

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 3/30/2023 at 4:21 AM, Gotham Kid said:
On 3/30/2023 at 3:55 AM, Dark Knight said:

don't think so, the books are all hyped up with that dumb customized label

If there was a Detective 27 in the collection, you would've thought that it'd be mentioned in the video.  The news guys at the end of the clip talk about "the first Batman" being auctioned, but with laypeople that could very easily mean Batman #1.

the 2 biggest highlights of the collection are the Bats 1 8.0 and Supes1 7.0

The way the son has hyped his father's collection across social media for weeks, if there was an AC1 or Tec27 we'd all have already heard of it.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 3/29/2023 at 5:07 PM, Gotham Kid said:

there are already 4-5 threads on the boards about this collection.

if I didnt know any better, I'd swear it was the son starting all of them...

On 3/29/2023 at 4:30 PM, Gotham Kid said:

2 biggest highlights of the collection

The comics are great but those bomb shelters are dreamy. 

6C839F7C-41FD-46AC-B2BE-96B54C0D7680.jpeg

On 3/29/2023 at 2:07 PM, Gotham Kid said:

there are already 4-5 threads on the boards about this collection.

if I didnt know any better, I'd swear it was the son starting all of them...

Ha Barry its really me that started this thread.lol

On 3/29/2023 at 1:21 PM, Gotham Kid said:

don't think so, the books are (or will be) all hyped up with that dumb customized label

Yep, and I believe only the 7.0 Supe 1 and the 8.0 Bat 1 have that custom label. A majority (if not all) of the raw, lesser books were/are being consigned with another party.