• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Newsstand that I think is a 9.8... modern tier or walkthrough?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

I have a 300 (newsstand variant) that I strongly believe has a good chance of getting a 9.8 - should I submit it under modern tier or go with walkthrough? I was considering walkthrough since the FMV of a 9.8 newsstand is $15-20k, but would hate to be disappointed and end up overpaying the grading fee for a 9.6. 

If I chose modern tier, how would they calculate the grading fee, considering walkthrough fee is 3% of FMV (yet CGC does not assign values)?

The chance that a newsstand copy of any comic is a 9.8 is remote, which is why the value is so high. So I would not presume it to be a 9.8, even though it could be.

Since any form of a 9 takes it over the Modern limit of $400, you can't use that. Standard would be my choice.

If it does come through valued wildly over the Standard limit,  CGC will contact you about having to bump the grading fee.

If it were my own, I'd be weighing if I wanted to tempt cgc to label it 9.6 for choosing a tier.

Although the advice given is pretty spot on for standard, and I'd presume given conversations with cgc that they'd suggest the same, as walkthrough I presume is not charged nor calculated until graded for the percentage price?

Spot on or not, in this case I suggest calling cgc, they used to handle such questions with a sense of knowledge. If you do I'd love to hear how they answer. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/2/2023 at 6:07 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If it were my own, I'd be weighing if I wanted to tempt cgc to label it 9.6 for choosing a tier.

Although the advice given is pretty spot on for standard, and I'd presume given conversations with cgc that they'd suggest the same, as walkthrough I presume is not charged nor calculated until graded for the percentage price?

Spot on or not, in this case I suggest calling cgc, they used to handle such questions with a sense of knowledge. If you do I'd love to hear how they answer. :)

From my brief research on walkthrough tier (looking at CGC board posts from 2020-2021), I was under the impression that CGC uses the declared FMV when charging the 3% fee, and charges more if it ends up being undervalued but does not refund anything if it ends up being overvalued. I would definitely love to submit it walkthrough if the fee is calculated after being graded, as that would give me peace of mind that I won't end up paying a ~$500 fee for a $2,000 9.6 - can anyone that has used walkthrough chime in on how the fee calculation works exactly (when it's charged and over/under declaring)?

I have submitted a 300 before (that was direct edition) via modern tier and it was rightfully bumped up to Express after being graded, but this is my first time potentially interacting with the walkthrough tier. 

Thank you all for your input! :cheers:

On 4/2/2023 at 5:50 PM, Lightning55 said:

The chance that a newsstand copy of any comic is a 9.8 is remote

So I would not presume it to be a 9.8, even though it could be.

lol:screwy:

Worst advice ever.

The grade of a comic is based on its condition, not its classification. A relatively small percentage of nearly any issue are 9.8s, but that has nothing to with what versions they are and even less to do with any specific copy.

On 4/2/2023 at 6:30 PM, Timed said:

From my brief research on walkthrough tier (looking at CGC board posts from 2020-2021), I was under the impression that CGC uses the declared FMV when charging the 3% fee, and charges more if it ends up being undervalued but does not refund anything if it ends up being overvalued. I would definitely love to submit it walkthrough if the fee is calculated after being graded, as that would give me peace of mind that I won't end up paying a ~$500 fee for a $2,000 9.6 - can anyone that has used walkthrough chime in on how the fee calculation works exactly (when it's charged and over/under declaring)?

I have submitted a 300 before (that was direct edition) via modern tier and it was rightfully bumped up to Express after being graded, but this is my first time potentially interacting with the walkthrough tier. 

Thank you all for your input! :cheers:

Make sure to consider the insurance value and what you would do if something happened to your book while it was on its journey away from you.

On 4/2/2023 at 9:05 PM, Lazyboy said:

lol:screwy:

Worst advice ever.

The grade of a comic is based on its condition, not its classification. A relatively small percentage of nearly any issue are 9.8s, but that has nothing to with what versions they are and even less to do with any specific copy.

It's not at all bad advice. Any comic you submit presuming a 9.8 can come back 9.6. Happens all the time, and sometimes presumed 9.6 comics come back 9.8, probably less often, though. It's a crapshoot.

I'm saying you don't want to commit to a high dollar Walk-through fee (minimum $150) when newsstand copies rarely realize 9.8. You are betting against the odds. Take the conservative path, lower fees, and let CGC bump it if you get lucky. 

Edited by Lightning55

On 4/2/2023 at 9:26 PM, Lightning55 said:

when newsstand copies rarely realize 9.8. You are betting against the odds.

Repeating it doesn't make it any more true. There are no odds on a single copy that you have in front of you and can assess properly. Some people foolishly and shortsightedly believing things don't exist doesn't mean they actually don't exist.

Of course how CGC sees it may be different than how the submitter sees it . That is always true. Of course you should consider all the costs of submitting, as well as the insurance value in case anything happens. That is also always true.

I have seen a lot of people submit ASM 300s thinking they have a 9.8 and then having it fall down into the 9.2-9.6 range. It happens to all of us from time to time. So the only advice I have is to be very conservative with estimates and hope for pleasant surprises along the way. 

I have seen the Facebook complaints when the book they were hoping to get a 9.8 gets a 6.5.    I would just sub modern and let them up charge you if it does receive the 9.8.

On 4/3/2023 at 10:27 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I would submit as a pre-screen for 9.8

...if you have 24 other possible 9.8 books to submit with it, all the same tier, to make the 25 book minimum. Only good for Value, Economy, and Modern tiers.

On 4/3/2023 at 4:46 AM, Stefan_W said:

I have seen a lot of people submit ASM 300s thinking they have a 9.8 and then having it fall down into the 9.2-9.6 range. It happens to all of us from time to time. So the only advice I have is to be very conservative with estimates and hope for pleasant surprises along the way. 

Best advice here and as such, it only makes sense to submit it under the lowest expected condition grade in order to avoid overpaying.  (thumbsu

Since we have seen CGC grade the exact same book from anywhere between 9.0 to 9.8, I would simply submit it as a potential CGC 9.0 copy using the Overstreet valuation which they seem to permit.  :devil:

The only problem with using the current Overstreet valuation in this year's edition of the guide is that most of the hot BA and CA keys from last year are now running substantially lower than the guide valuations.  :whatthe: