• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3-Hole Punch Books
4 4

19 posts in this topic

Got a handful of SA Flash issues (non-keys) at an antique store over the weekend.  They look to me to be in the 4.0-5.0 range under normal conditions, but they all also have 3-hole punches along the spine (kept in a 3-ring binder at some point).  My question is to what degree do these kinds of holes affect the grades of books like these?  And does CGC give a blue label at a lower grade, or is this the kind of thing where they would give a green Qualified label in the 4.0-5.0 range?  Thanks!

Edit: not really looking for any specific grade on any specific book; just a general question on to what degree these kinds of holes affect a grade on any given book?

Edited by Jstan70
Clarification

All depends on the overall condition of the books, I would suggest you post pics of the books in question, clear pics of the outside/inside of the front and rear covers, splash page, last page and centerfold.

I have a couple of raw books with binder holes but the cover is also detached, other than that they would have been in the FN 6.0 range, I graded them at a FR 1.0.

Journey Into Mystery 46    FR1.0.JPG

Journey Into Mystery 46 FN-5.5 EXCEPT.JPG

Journey Into Mystery 41   FR1.0.JPG

Journey Into Mystery 41   FN+6.5 EXCEPT.jpg

On 4/3/2023 at 2:13 PM, scburdet said:

The CGC books says 3.0-4.0 for a 2-3 binder holes. You'd have to post photos per forum guidelines to get a better idea. The 3.0-4.0 is just the ceiling, which I view as more or less a perfect book that's been punched.

It seems like kind of a small thing at first. Just three small holes. But then when you add up all the missing pieces from every single page (32 page book would have 48 holes) it ends up adding up to a significant chunk.. WAY more than a value stamp. So, I think it's kind of generous for CGC to allow these books to go up to 4.0. Even with 2 punches that's still 32 holes.

On 4/3/2023 at 2:13 PM, scburdet said:

The CGC books says 3.0-4.0 for a 2-3 binder holes. You'd have to post photos per forum guidelines to get a better idea. The 3.0-4.0 is just the ceiling, which I view as more or less a perfect book that's been punched.

I would not buy a book as a 3.0 that had hole punches. I’d keep looking in that situation.

Generally you're looking at 2.5-4.0 with other defects also being considered. 

There is a Qualified 9.6 Amazing Fantasy 15 out there with a 3-hole punch.

On 4/3/2023 at 10:00 AM, Jstan70 said:

Got a handful of SA Flash issues (non-keys) at an antique store over the weekend.  They look to me to be in the 4.0-5.0 range under normal conditions, but they all also have 3-hole punches along the spine (kept in a 3-ring binder at some point).  My question is to what degree do these kinds of holes affect the grades of books like these?  And does CGC give a blue label at a lower grade, or is this the kind of thing where they would give a green Qualified label in the 4.0-5.0 range?  Thanks!

Edit: not really looking for any specific grade on any specific book; just a general question on to what degree these kinds of holes affect a grade on any given book?

Nice find! :applause: Don't really care personally what CGC would think about them. :sumo:

On 4/3/2023 at 10:00 AM, Jstan70 said:

They look to me to be in the 4.0-5.0 range under normal conditions, but they all also have 3-hole punches along the spine (kept in a 3-ring binder at some point).  My question is to what degree do these kinds of holes affect the grades of books like these?

CGC has typically awarded Universal Grades of 2.5~3.0 to 3-hole punched specimens with "otherwise" condition grades in the 7.5~9.4 range.  So I think the books you're describing would merit Universal Grades in the 1.8~2.0 range.  For what it's worth, I think 1.0 is the proper grade on the two examples @marvelmaniac posted above (where the detached and completely split cover becomes the critical or governing defect).

2HP-18.thumb.jpg.afa47718d4857b837f5585f72e042e4e.jpg 3HP-20.thumb.jpg.cb3b0a9c25356423aae7a8298642cddb.jpg 3HP-25.jpg.50781d5c8de977959ce846bd9831573b.jpg3HP-30b.thumb.jpg.9a91624aadbc9002b013c0b30fadcdd7.jpg 3HP-30-MMC-15.thumb.jpg.13789c1644bc65dfaccf9ecd09c44c0c.jpg

On 4/3/2023 at 8:00 PM, Jstan70 said:

This will of course reduce the price of the book. But if it were just a rarity, then nothing much would have changed. I love such books with defects and read them often. You even have to use essay writers for hire for help, I found  https://edubirdie.com/essay-writers-for-hire for this. You'll go to great lengths for books, don't you agree?! CGC may assign a blue Qualified label in the range of 4.0–5.0 to reflect defects.

Edited by AnnSteverson

Didn't realize right away that this thread was about 6 months old, but

FYI - There's a 3 hole punch comic thread. Link: 3 Hole Punch Comics

There's raw and graded books. The qualified AF 15 is on page 4.
Great reference and some really nice books!

Edited by Hiro

On 4/3/2023 at 5:43 PM, grendelbo said:

Generally you're looking at 2.5-4.0 with other defects also being considered. 

There is a Qualified 9.6 Amazing Fantasy 15 out there with a 3-hole punch.

Many moons ago ( I wish I could remember ), someone had I believe,  a Tales of Suspense #1 on e-bay ( I think ) that was slabbed  with a blue label in 9.0 with 3 binder holes. Maybe BUTM might remember. We talked about it on the boards like WTF. :whatthe: