• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

June 2023 Heritage Signature Auction #7340
4 4

566 posts in this topic

On 6/17/2023 at 1:01 PM, Carlo M said:

I am no Frazetta expert, so I would be curious to know how collectors of his work compare Dark Kingdom to Egyptian Queen.  Is it viewed as a superior piece or the market even in today's shaky condition is higher than 2019?

I think usually boobs get the win but EQ was revised after publication and this wasn’t; it might be close.   I’d still give EQ the edge.  

And even what I’ve posted is no doubt biased by this 6m number.      I’m not saying this piece is close a month ago.  

On 6/18/2023 at 10:48 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Apologies, was unaware... have no social accounts so did not know

A few people who knew the family knew, but then last night they announced it at Heroe's Con. So I guess it's public knowledge now. 

On 6/18/2023 at 11:26 AM, Fischb1 said:

A few people who knew the family knew, but then last night they announced it at Heroe's Con. So I guess it's public knowledge now. 

Yeah, I knew it several days ago, but wasn’t sure if it was public knowledge yet, or else I would have said something when the first post was made.

Such a sad time for Jim and his family.

On 6/16/2023 at 10:34 AM, The Voord said:

Yeah, we've had this discussion before, Dan, lol.

As you may recall, all my bids went on interior panel pages from the same graphic novel.

Averaging around $1,500 a page when I was letting HA bid on my behalf . . . 

Averaging around $500 - 750 a page when I switched to direct participation in the live bidding.

Co-incidence?  Who knows.     

An alternative explanation, which I've seen play out on HA before, is that when they offer several similar pieces staggered in time the first few go highest, then the others sell for less as bidders check their boxes and the pool shrinks.  

On 6/18/2023 at 3:08 AM, stinkininkin said:
On 6/18/2023 at 1:01 AM, Carlo M said:

I am no Frazetta expert, so I would be curious to know how collectors of his work compare Dark Kingdom to Egyptian Queen.  Is it viewed as a superior piece or the market even in today's shaky condition is higher than 2019?

With Frazetta art, you have to know the "three B's". Babes, Barbarians and Beasts, in that order. lol I'm sorta kidding, but not kidding. Vintage, medium, size, and general eye appeal matter a LOT, but those things being equal, the more B's you have in a given piece, the higher the premium. As far as this specific comparison, I would take Egyptian Queen all day over Dark Kingdom, and so would 99.9% of my fellow Frazetta collectors, regardless of price.

Egyptian Queen is Top 3 Frazetta.

On 6/19/2023 at 3:04 AM, buttock said:

An alternative explanation, which I've seen play out on HA before, is that when they offer several similar pieces staggered in time the first few go highest, then the others sell for less as bidders check their boxes and the pool shrinks.  

That's quite possible though I'm not convinced either way and will continue to play it safe by bidding live.

On 6/19/2023 at 5:38 AM, tth2 said:

Egyptian Queen is Top 3 Frazetta.

Without being a Frazetta expert, and with no context around his work, I also prefer EQ.  More subtle and mysterious, with a great atmosphere.  So it is fair to argue that the Frazetta market today is stronger than it was in 2019.  I think it is an interesting datapoint, the 2020 effect obviously has not worn off entirely.

On 6/19/2023 at 8:53 AM, Carlo M said:

Without being a Frazetta expert, and with no context around his work, I also prefer EQ.  More subtle and mysterious, with a great atmosphere.  So it is fair to argue that the Frazetta market today is stronger than it was in 2019.  I think it is an interesting datapoint, the 2020 effect obviously has not worn off entirely.

I think it’s super easy to overthink it.  

There’s probably only one person paying these figures.    I would guess the prices are more about what he’d pay and what the family’s reserves are than what the rest of the market does.    At least for these giant price tag pieces.    I have no particular knowledge of this and could well be wrong.   That’s just my guess. 

On 6/19/2023 at 6:02 AM, Bronty said:

I think it’s super easy to overthink it.  

There’s probably only one person paying these figures.    I would guess the prices are more about what he’d pay and what the family’s reserves are than what the rest of the market does.    At least for these giant price tag pieces.    I have no particular knowledge of this and could well be wrong.   That’s just my guess. 

But with any auction you need at least two people willing to go that high 

On 6/19/2023 at 6:54 PM, Dirtcheap31 said:

But with any auction you need at least two people willing to go that high 

Not with a reserve, in that case the reserve is the "other person", ie, the consignor.

Edited by cstojano