• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to tell if a slabbed book was printed in the USA (Golden and Silver)
2 2

13 posts in this topic

I think that books in the silver and golden age from most major publishers were printed in the US. Unless the book is a foreign release or foreign printing.

As far as just knowing at a glance I don't think so. You would have to look into the particular title online.

On 4/7/2023 at 10:50 PM, Beyonder123 said:

I think that books in the silver and golden age from most major publishers were printed in the US. Unless the book is a foreign release or foreign printing.

As far as just knowing at a glance I don't think so. You would have to look into the particular title online.

That's what I was originally thinking but did get a little paranoid with some responses in another thread I had which caused me to start this one :)

Were British copies even printed in the UK? I just assumed they were printed int the US then shipped over?

On 4/8/2023 at 12:21 PM, revat said:

Were British copies even printed in the UK? I just assumed they were printed int the US then shipped over?

UK price variants were printed in the US and then shipped overseas. But there are also British only titles that were printed and sold solely in the UK

On 4/8/2023 at 8:16 AM, Robot Man said:

If it were slabbed, it would be on the label. There are numerous clues if it is a raw copy.

I can't remember the comic, but I've seen at least one Canadian edition not marked as such on the slab. 

Then there are some of the Superior books, where the Canadian & U.S. edition are the same edition, though all printed in Canada, and sometimes CGC lists Canadian edition on the label and sometimes not. 

I'm fairly sure there are also some U.S. editions of books from smaller companies that were printed in Canada, even as far back as the Golden Age.

The short answer is no.  

Most comics distributed in the US were printed in the USA.  A notable exception is Stanley Morse; Junior Hope #1-3, Mister Mystery #1-5, Mr Universe #1-4 and Weird Tales of the Future #1-4 - all were printed in Canada for distribution in US (there are no "Printed in USA" versions).

Once slabbed, you can't tell, since these are considered US editions by CGC (and OSPG and collecting community).  Other than having a raw copy to check indicia, you can use GCD and Comic Book+.  CGC only denotes Canadian comics or Canadian Price Variants on label.