• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calgary Comics & Entertainment Expo - April 27 - 30, 2023

23 posts in this topic

Much better guest list than Fan Expo Vancouver (fev). Have not seen inker Carl Potts in about 30 years. Lots of fan faves like Charlie Cox (DD), that Kingpin actor, Sam Raimi (Evil Dead, The Grudge 1, 2, Spider-man director), Christina Ricci (Wednesday, Yellowjackets tv).

On 4/11/2023 at 9:38 AM, boreds said:

Does anyone know how to find someone for a CGC witness for the show? I am thinking of having a few books signed, and was hoping to have it sent in for grading. 

Voldemort pro grading used to set up at Fan Expo Vancouver for at least 2 years in a row. Just got an email from Voldy stating they are witnessing sigs at Calgary Expo and can then take your comics from Calgary back to the USA for pro slabbing. Voldy is charging $10 US to witness media guest sigs on autographed photos as an Expo Special; not sure about cost to witness comic creators sign.

On 4/21/2023 at 8:09 PM, 500Club said:

:whatthe:

STOLEN comic from Mike's Comics booth # 1422 Thursday April 27, 2023 Calgary Expo:

Incredible Hulk 181 Cgc 3.5 blue label. Seems like at least 2 collector-crooks working together to access Mike's comic wall rack to grab the slab. Send any info or leads to Mike via text/phone 1-403-383-1645 Calgary, AB, Canada, email mivanusic @ hotmail.com or via Facebook (fb) messenger Mirko Ivanusic please.

@kimik @greggy @joeypost @thehumantorch @Fan Boy @500Club @Quicksilver Signs

Edited by aardvark88
Corrected date to Thurs.

Official Fan Expo video of day 1 Thurs. April 27, 2023 Calgary Expo. Not too busy yet, as this was during VIP entry 1 hour before general admission opened. Note: Artist Alley, tattoo area and food court are in detached Big 4 Building separated from main Expo event halls:

On 4/30/2023 at 7:48 AM, kimik said:

This has been a good show so far. then the huge crowd on Saturday that makes bin diving more difficult. Sunday should be another fun day.

Calgary Expo video from Sat. April 29, 2023 starting in the detached Big 4 bldg. that holds Artist Alley, tattoo stations, food then onto main comic Expo halls:

On 4/30/2023 at 7:46 AM, kimik said:

@thirdgreenham did a huge good deed yesterday. He noticed someone stealing a book from the booth across from him and ran after the thief. He caught him at the exit doors to the hall and the guy dropped the book. He saved a Superman #2 for the other dealer. Great job, Andy.

Excellent job Andy and thanks! A Supe 2. That dealer owes you a fine dinner!

@thirdgreenham

B24861C1-6123-4736-A681-9E954E790A79.jpeg

Here is a short summary of the show:

Plenty of people were spending on comics. Thankfully, we did not see any signs of a recession yet as collectors and retail buyers were out in full force. I am not sure what the final attendance numbers were, but there were plenty of attendees and vendors commenting that it was back to pre-Covid levels which was good.

Golden Age: Hopefully @thehumantorch @Artboy99 @thirdgreenham can add some additional context here as I only had only a handful of raw GGA books and four slabs (2 Jumbo and 2 Jungle) with me at the show. I sold three (2 Jungles and 1 Jumbo) of the four slabs for fair market prices, and three of the raw books (3 Jungles). If I had brought more I would have sold them. Time to lock the rest away I guess. lol 

Silver Age: I sold a bunch of raw and slabbed ASMs, FFs, X-Men and DDs to other dealers and collectors. I moved more slabbed SA books at this show than I have since pre-Covid shows, which was nice to see. I should have brought more sub-100 ASMs, sub 50 Avengers, DD, sub-100 FFs, and sub-65 X-Men to the show. I am low on SA Batman and Tec so what I had sold. GL was another title that sold well raw and a couple of graded books I put out also. I will need to reload the boxes for the June shows.

Bronze Age: I sold all of the Neal Adams Bats/Tecs/GLs raw for close to GPA prices with no questions asked. I was expecting to get more haggling on them. BA ASMs and DDs sold well. ToD moved also, although I left the box with most of them at home by accident. I did not have as much BA as I normally do as I brought more modern stock instead. That was a mistake.

Copper Age: Late bronze and copper books were in high demand at the show, as has been reflected elsewhere. Stores do not have the books, and as modern run collectors build back this is where they go. Popular titles included the three Spidey titles (ASM, WoS, PPSM), Batman (but not really Tec), DD, FF, X-Men and TMNT (although one vendor from Manitoba in our group was undercutting the market significantly to move long boxes of them......... :censored:). Plenty of other titles were picked away at as well. I sold multiple copies of Batman #404 and #426-428 (but no #429s) and had a run on other Batmans from #400-#442 or so at very nice prices. Common Copper ASM and DD sales were strong at or above guide (and GPA in some cases). I also moved a number of Swamp Thing #49s in VF at $20 apiece. It was fun to see people filling runs on our side of the booth.

Modern books: Here is a brief overview from my sales

Artgerm variants from Marvel, DC, and Vampirella continue to be strong sellers at $10-$20 apiece. I sold close to 75% of the long box I had. JSC variant sales were slow, but I had them priced fairly high. I had a number of requests for SW HR and HR Advs ratio variants, but I am sitting on those for the D+ and movie plays to start.

Marvel facsimiles were strong sellers with multiples of them going at $10-$50 apiece. FF #1 Facsimile at $40 sold well which was nice to see. I sold a Hulk #1 at that price level as well. The buyers noted that they were looking for the first print facsimiles, which was interesting. It looks like there may be a longer term collector market for them. 

Sonic and Spawn sold well for independents. I moved a bunch of each. I also sold the few old school Image #1s I had - Gen 13, Savage Dragon, Prophet, Shadowhawk and another one or two at $10 apiece which was nice. Everything else for me from an independent title perspective was slow.

And, as per usual, I sold half a long box or so of Batman Three Jokers 1-3 at $10 apiece. I also sold a second long box of stock to another dealer for my cost. While I know I would have sold them over time, I am well into a tidy profit on that spec play and I am sick of lugging that stock around as it is a tad heavy. A number of the 1:25 variants sold as well. 

Trailer Park Boys Get a F@@cking Comic #1 continues to sell steadily at $20 apiece as retail buyers see it, laugh, and purchase it. I should have ordered 1,000 copies instead of just 100.

Venom and Carnage issues were strong sellers on all four days. Now all I need is for Harley and Deadpool to heat up again.

There was also an uptick in Valiant sales this show. I pulled out a short box of acquisitions from the past two years and sold a number of pre-unity Magnus, Solar, Habinger and X-O at the show for strong prices. It was nice to see a bit of a resurgence as those are some of my favourite titles. Now I have to restock some of the keys.

Overall it was a solid show sales-wise. I did not do as much as last year, but that is due to my decision on what stock I brought to the show. I should have added the other six long boxes of SA and BA stock and taken less modern. Next time, I guess.

Edited by kimik