• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours: I tripple dog dare you to show just one of your treasures that is not posted anywhere else
4 4

95 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2023 at 6:29 AM, grapeape said:

I'm a Brent Anderson nut so seeing him work on your favorite character brings joy to my heart. I  think its really well done. The shadowing under foot. PS pointing straight at ya Rick. + Cassandra too!!! Thanx you my friend. I love it.

Hope you like the next installment of my fan fiction, too. It’s a Christmas tale.

On 4/19/2023 at 7:17 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I’m curious about this, particularly since I was one of the early bidders who dropped out. But it looks like the center strip of page 1 without other scenery on top and bottom with Tim Hunter. Did Bolton do overlays of 3 pieces which were combined in print? Any idea where the other parts went?

This is not the piece that was recently in Heritage.  I originally bought it via John's rep back in early 2000s, sold it to a friend, who eventually sold it back to me.  No auction site involved. The Heritage auction was for the next page which has a very similar strip.

On 4/19/2023 at 7:56 AM, hmendryk said:

Some exciting work is being shown here. I am afraid my contribution will be for a comic book genre that doesn't get much respect, romance. I was a friend to Joe Simon and when he passed away I helped to organize and empty his apartment, no small task. In recognition of my efforts, the Simon family said I could select a piece of art from his collection. Some may question my choice, but I never have. It was included in the book "The Art of the Simon and Kirby Studio" but not shared anywhere else. Since it was from Joe's collection it has never been on the market. Normally I am shy about showing it because it has great personal significance to me. Pencils by Jack Kirby.

YoungLove071NewLabel.jpg

Personally, I love this stuff. I have been thinking of branching out to include it.

On 4/18/2023 at 6:32 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Only because it's you, Mike.

This is a page I picked up in 1980-1981 at a Comicon in New York (before they were called Comicons). It's from Swamp Thing Annual No. 2, and for those who don't recognize the artwork, it is from the special run by Tottleben and Bissette. As I recall, it was $40. Some of it may look familiar to you because the giant image of the Spectre sometimes shows up on the internet. Now you know where the original has been hiding.

25Bissette-Tottleben.thumb.jpg.ca9f55370dee4d4ff1fef6d7dfe463e9.jpg

Great piece! I've wanted a specific page from that issue for a while now ever since I read it. I've haven't seen any pages for that issue but one come up for sale for years now too. I remember it was either going after that or one of the unpublished covers to ROM #1 with them both ending at the same price. I went with the ROM piece. 

On 4/19/2023 at 4:56 AM, hmendryk said:

Some exciting work is being shown here. I am afraid my contribution will be for a comic book genre that doesn't get much respect, romance. I was a friend to Joe Simon and when he passed away I helped to organize and empty his apartment, no small task. In recognition of my efforts, the Simon family said I could select a piece of art from his collection. Some may question my choice, but I never have. It was included in the book "The Art of the Simon and Kirby Studio" but not shared anywhere else. Since it was from Joe's collection it has never been on the market. Normally I am shy about showing it because it has great personal significance to me. Pencils by Jack Kirby.

YoungLove071NewLabel.jpg

No explanation needed. Worthy. 

On 4/19/2023 at 10:34 AM, DeadpoolJr. said:

I don't really have much that isn't posted online but I have a few. This is the cover to issue 16 of the current Moon Knight series by Stephen Segovia. Really enjoying the current series.

Moon Knight Vol.9 #16 Cover.png

I love Moonknight. This is so well done! I'll have to read the series.

On 4/20/2023 at 6:10 PM, art4comics.com said:

This is the splash of an 8 page story I have.  Weird Science #9 by Wally Wood.  I have not posted it on line anywhere.  The last time this was seen was when it sold at Russ Cochran in the 70's and then it disappeared for almost a half century.  I recently got this as part of a large deal which included a lot of art that had not been seen in many decades.  I have shown it to a few friends in person but never posted before.   It will eventually get posted with the rest of the story on CAF but it is not there yet.  

ws09_01photolarge.jpg

Wow, incredible Wally Wood piece.

On 4/21/2023 at 3:30 PM, jjanoch said:

Hello,

Not sure if this is a good thread to add my question...but I recently picked up this item and I am trying to identify the artist signature.  Anyone able to assist?

Bounty Hunter print front.jpg

Try “New to OA Collecting . . . .”. By the way, I don’t know the artist.

On 4/19/2023 at 11:10 PM, art4comics.com said:

This is the splash of an 8 page story I have.  Weird Science #9 by Wally Wood.  I have not posted it on line anywhere.  The last time this was seen was when it sold at Russ Cochran in the 70's and then it disappeared for almost a half century.  I recently got this as part of a large deal which included a lot of art that had not been seen in many decades.  I have shown it to a few friends in person but never posted before.   It will eventually get posted with the rest of the story on CAF but it is not there yet.  

ws09_01photolarge.jpg

This comes from the deepest of black holes. To see it on our thread inspires me. Something like this disappears and most collectors wonder if it survived the bin. It's an absolute treasure thank you so much for letting us see it.(thumbsu

On 4/26/2023 at 1:46 PM, Messier3499 said:

How about some OLD Cover Art?  And I mean o-l-d!

Phenomenal Female Artist Pinup Zoe Mozert painted this image of actress Loretta Young for the April 1939 Cover of Romantic Stories Magazine - 

Mozert.jpg.4243b3f1142b19442f33cc37ed5465d5.jpg

Pic one is the Painting

Pic two is the Magazine Cover 

romance39.jpg.f32bb0c8a910ddbcf44c3812e7e0816c.jpg

Pic three is the Artist Zoe Mozert reflecting on this painting with Loretta Young's co-star in the movie, Errol Flynn 

ErrolFlynn.jpg.015b014f8811b74bb4f31be8845e898b.jpg

NOTE: The painting is still in the frame in the photo, but I added Museum glass about 15 or 20 years back 

She became famous for her movie star magazine covers and over the years cranked out a ton of similar looking paintings for direct sale  - THIS ONE is one of the published covers from her Peak Period right before jumping into Calendar work at Brown and Bigelow.  This one offers an innocence the more common ones frankly lack.

Flynn looks a little disappointed. A picture of a woman he couldn’t seduce.

On 4/26/2023 at 1:46 PM, Messier3499 said:

How about some OLD Cover Art?  And I mean o-l-d!

Phenomenal Female Artist Pinup Zoe Mozert painted this image of actress Loretta Young for the April 1939 Cover of Romantic Stories Magazine - 

Mozert.jpg.4243b3f1142b19442f33cc37ed5465d5.jpg

Pic one is the Painting

Pic two is the Magazine Cover 

romance39.jpg.f32bb0c8a910ddbcf44c3812e7e0816c.jpg

Pic three is the Artist Zoe Mozert reflecting on this painting with Loretta Young's co-star in the movie, Errol Flynn 

ErrolFlynn.jpg.015b014f8811b74bb4f31be8845e898b.jpg

NOTE: The painting is still in the frame in the photo, but I added Museum glass about 15 or 20 years back 

She became famous for her movie star magazine covers and over the years cranked out a ton of similar looking paintings for direct sale  - THIS ONE is one of the published covers from her Peak Period right before jumping into Calendar work at Brown and Bigelow.  This one offers an innocence the more common ones frankly lack.

For what its worth since a few have asked, I'll trade this (and the mag/pic framed too) for a 'Lesser' (sounds so wrong) artist Marvel 2x Title page - Think in the vein of Powell, Adkins, Ayers..

*Hope I'm allowed to say that here, was not posted looking to sell but people are asking - will delete post if advised

On 4/15/2023 at 9:34 AM, grapeape said:

I tripple dog dare you to show just one of your treasures that is not posted anywhere else but debuts right here on this thread. FMV is irrelevant. It can be a Frazetta painting in your closet or a small drawing by an artist that doesn't get a lot of attention. The only rules is it has to be original comic related art in the spirit of the OA thread. And you are debuting it for the first time publicly after acquiring it.

Why do this? Simple. I'm bored. I'm hoping to overcome some of the obstacles to sharing art.

* Keeping it hidden so later it's fresh to market * seems to be a big reason art is hidden from the world. Security is another. I've heard it all and very valid concerns. But this thread is meant to pry at one of the motivations within you as I suspect motivates me also. That is, to brag and feel good about showing off a treasured piece of art. Come on, just one hidden object of desire revealed here for the first time. I'm here to confront your inner Gollum....let go of that golden ring but for a moment....share the joy of your possession with your fellow boardies. Remember, to me cash and trade value are irrelevant. This is about getting you to show just one (or more) of your hidden treasures. Make its DEBUT right here.

I'll go first. Bill Everett 1965. Daredevil and Matt Murdoch. High resolution scan by Tom Kraft. Published in the CFA/APA #118 Fanizine. I spent well over a year researching and interviewing/coresponding with Bill's daughter Wendy Everett to write and publish the article  The Bill Everett Treasure Hunt Discovery Gets to the Heart and Mind of a Genius. Been collecting a long time and can't find another original drawing of Daredevil by Everett. I have overcome my inner Gollum to share this with you. At some point I will update my CAF with this art and a full description of obtaining and getting to know Wendy Everett. She is a wonderful human being and I'm a better person for getting to know her.Gollum be darned.... Bill Everett from his sketch pad (1965) 11x16.

DaredevilEverett.thumb.jpg.ed9e712ef489dc35937da71af0a0aac0.jpg

Not only is this the earliest and only DD and Matt M. illustration that has surfaced....

image.thumb.png.a816c64931a71af1eda3643466febf1a.png

Top left panel from Daredevil #1 pg. 20 April 1964 side by side with the Matt Murdoch drawing from Bill Everett’s sketch pad

Lower left panel from Daredevil # 1 pg. 22  April 1964 side by side with the Daredevil drawing from Bill Everett’s sketch pad