• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Spring Edition (#6) Round 4
11 11

204 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2023 at 8:42 PM, skypinkblu said:

WOW, 3 bullseyes, and 3 points...I had no time to grade with the charity thread, so I took the 5 minutes it took my husband to find his keys and put his shoes on when we were leaving the other day.

My new method of grading, lol

When I really go over them, I change too much. Not in contention, but my best round.

BTW, we can still use help here for Thomas's family , feel free to join us... and MANY thanks to all of you who already have..

Ditto this. I find that if you go with “this feels/looks like” it goes far better than trying to count the defects and score them individually. The more I scrutinize, the wronger am…l

Edited by Panda2

WOW 4.5 +1
Action 4.0 🎯 
Avengers 7.0 +3 (that dust shadow!)
X-Men 8.5 +1
Star Wars 9.4 🎯 

So 5 points for me this round for a total of 16.

Two books, the Jungle in Round 2 and the Avengers in this round, cost me 6 big points.

I wound up with a total of 11 bullseyes with 5 coming in that magical first round so, all in all, I’m pretty damn happy even though I don’t think I’ll make it into the money.

Edited by JohnH19

Ouch.  I got destroyed by that Avengers.  I said 6.5.  +4 for all the others = 8 total.  

Ah well.  Fun contest, and thanks to CGCMike!

On 5/6/2023 at 7:26 PM, Mars76 said:

Wow #1   3.0

Action Comics #253   2.5

Avengers #48    7.0

X-Men #107   8.5

Star Wars #68   9.2

I didn't see the WOW #1 getting a 5.0, and I'm surprised the Action got a 4.0 with all that wear. 

My grades were on par with yours: I feel it was a lucky day at CGC, especially for Wow and Action Comics. I could see Wow being gifted a 4.0 it is a 1930's comic. Maybe a 4.5??? I will have to go back to the scans and take another look. Action Comics I knew was above a 2.5 and kinda rough looking for a 3.5, so I went with a 3.0 on that one ( but 4.0? :roflmao:) I will have to go back and re read Matt's grading guide. I need to get closer and be more forgiving in general. But those 2 books I really feel were off and if were sent back anonymously again would get lower grades.

On 5/6/2023 at 10:12 PM, flashlites said:

I will have to go back to the scans

I think the Wow in the holder looks almost like a different comic. It appeared dark in the scans to my eye. That was a big reason I went with the lower end of my range. i saw a 5.5 for sale somewhere that had a very bright white cover, and I couldn't see this "dark" book coming in 1 grade below.

On 5/6/2023 at 8:12 PM, flashlites said:

I could see Wow being gifted a 4.0 it is a 1930's comic. Maybe a 4.5??? 

I just can't picture a 5.0 having the appearance of the bottom of the rear cover.

I really should have said 4.0, instead of 3.5, but something told me that if I did, this was finally the time that I over graded one of these really butt ugly books..

• Administrator
On 5/6/2023 at 9:24 PM, scburdet said:

I think the Wow in the holder looks almost like a different comic. It appeared dark in the scans to my eye. That was a big reason I went with the lower end of my range. i saw a 5.5 for sale somewhere that had a very bright white cover, and I couldn't see this "dark" book coming in 1 grade below.

I was told the raw images are darkened some so the defects show up better.

Four bullseyes this round! Of course, that WoW comic got me too. Did ANYONE guess 5.0 on that one?! I just don't see how that's a 5, even with the GA bump. Baffling! Anyway, if I would have just graded the first round the way I graded the last three (by not second guessing myself and changing my scores 20 times) I probably would have placed! I'm coming for first place next time! 

On 5/6/2023 at 10:30 PM, CGC Mike said:

I was told the raw images are darkened some so the defects show up better.

Well, that helps explain the disparity. Thanks Mike! Good to know for next time. I think the scanner made that Action Comics like a spot on 2.0 too :roflmao:

I was a slacker and didn’t submit my grades. Sorry! That was a tough round for sure. I thought much lower on the Avengers, and thought it would have been hit for the inside fc and possible covers as well. 

• Wow #1 - 2.5 (5.0)
  • Action Comics #253 - 4.0 (4.0) 🎯
  • Avengers #48 - 8.5 (8.5) 🎯
  • X-Men #107 - 9.0 (9.0) 🎯
  • Star Wars #68 - 9.6 (9.4) 1

So this Emoji :insane: from @CGC Mike  means Oh! so close! but, that one book; what a shame.
A terrible 31 point finish, with 11 coming from just two books, Jungle Comics and WoW. :facepalm:

Thanks for another well run contest Mike. I’ll be back this Summer to try again.

Different strokes for different folks. I nailed the 5.0 Wow (surprising myself, for sure), but am slightly ticked off about the scan for Star Wars 68. No matter how far I zoomed in, that scan did not clearly reveal (to my eyes, at least) whether the discoloration on the top back cover was foxing or staining. CGC is harsher on stains than foxing, and it looked like staining to me. 

In cases where the scan is not adequately revealing defects that CGC graders can clearly see with a book in-hand, maybe we should be given at least partial grader notes when the raw scans are 1st posted.

The spine split on Jungle Comics 11 in Round Two is a case where some people didn't notice a spine split at all, but those of us who did notice could not determine exactly how long the split was. A note detailing the exact length could have helped us grade more accurately, based on CGC's policy for various lengths.  

No sour grapes here. I'm having a great time participating with fellow boardies to see who does best. We're all at the same disadvantage, grading scans while the CGC graders are grading books in-hand...and some of you are darn good at it!