• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces Price and Policy Changes
9 9

155 posts in this topic

CGC please keep pushing people towards raw and self grading...With the advent of there "outstanding" cold press methods..Phenomenal consistent grading.. "World Class" Quality control.

Not to mention there "Strategic" timing in a soft comic market and just overall Gougyness.  Kudos CGC...Kudos

On 4/18/2023 at 9:38 PM, Drbearsec said:

The $1001 to 2500 is where they are really screwing people.  With the minimums that so called 4% is actually 6% to 15%!!!!!  It's worse with Signature Series and they're $170 min.  Just absolutely ridiculous.

That's why I ceased SS since 2018.

frequent and usually excessive price increases on everything post covid is standard business practice so this does not surprise me. at least this one was only a couple of dollars this time. I only ever wanted to sumbit 2 comics as the rest of my comics are 10.00 or less in value. My second submission made it under the wire for the old prices.

On 4/18/2023 at 3:01 PM, ramrodcar said:

It's disappointing that once again, the value limits on each tier have not increased at all. For non SS comics, it'd be easier to swallow this if say Modern/Economy (Vintage) were $750 limit, and Standard was $1500. There's too big of a gap between the tiers, and I can't remember for the life of me when there's been an increase on value limits for Modern/Economy. A $400 limit is not realistic in 2023.

As we all know, and others have likely noted, it is all about the $. Granted, it is all about the $ for most. Edit: Including me if I ever sell my comic book collection instead of leaving it to my daughter. If I leave it to my daughter instead of the cash from its sale, I'm certain she will be happy! :bigsmile:

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
To add text.

On 4/18/2023 at 10:05 AM, blazingbob said:

How CGC feels about its customer base - BendOverBob

No more express tiers,  Walkthroughs up to 4% no limit on how much they charge/hose you.

So, are you saying they should have really rename their former Walkthrough tier as the BendOverBob tier or the Fu*kYou tier as that certainly does sound a lot more appropriate with this kind of price increases at the higher end?  :censored:  lol

On 4/18/2023 at 9:11 PM, blazingbob said:

Look,  I will say this as I've said before.

All you guys that pay fast track fees are doing is showing CGC that if they slow down you will pay more to get books graded faster.

There is no financial incentive to improve turnaround times and will NEVER be so long as submitters pay fast track fees.  

This is it 100%.  CGC is simply “sweating the product” which is commonly done in all industries.  Why sell something for $10 when people are will to pay $15.  CGC has all the data to estimate the end result of raising prices.  As far as cost, if submitting price goes up, I will simply set my selling price higher.  Will it sell at the higher price?  Don’t know but the market will adjust to the price changes with more raw being sold, less submissions, of maybe no significant change.

On 4/18/2023 at 9:11 PM, blazingbob said:

All you guys that pay fast track fees are doing is showing CGC that if they slow down you will pay more to get books graded faster.

I paid FT on a couple GA books because I just didn't want them floating around CGC for a year - but after the second one came back in a short amount of time, I started thinking the way you've described above - and I think you're correct.

On 4/18/2023 at 12:01 PM, ramrodcar said:

It's disappointing that once again, the value limits on each tier have not increased at all.

Well, that's probably because they are too busy decreasing them, as clearly evident by dropping the Walkthough value limit of $3K down to only $1K in their new Unlimited :censored: :censored: tier.  :mad:

Instead of an increase, you should be jumping for joy that they didn't drop the value limit for the Modern tier from $400 down to something like $200 or even $100.  :banana:

Actually, that might not be a bad idea at all, or even better yet, change the Modern grading fee to something like 10% of FMV with say a minimum fee of $100 and that should take care of all of their TAT probllems.  :devil:  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine