• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slab arrived with scratch
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

My very first comic book slabbed, a Hulk 181 and the silver CGC sticker in the corner has arrived with a bad scratch. The side of the slab also have some slight residue (maybe this is normal at the seem). I do not know how normal this is or if I should accept this, as I do not know what will affect the value of this slabbed book. I do find it annoying though. Attaching pictures for reference. Would love to hear the groups feedback. 

slab issue 1.jpg

slab issue 3.jpg

slab issue 2.jpg

Are you keeping it? Or trying to sell it?  If you are trying to sell, the damage to the case won't hurt the value,  but you should disclose it during the sale. 

If it's for your personal collection I would certainly resub as a mechanical error.  

I can appreciate the other posters concerns. Any time a book is handled,  there is the risk of damage. And you don't have to look hard to find examples of where cgc has damaged a book.  So there is risk and that is something you should be aware of and consider before resubmiting.  

Still, you paid for a service on an expensive book. They didn't deliver on that service and I feel like you have a reasonable expectation to have them correct the error. 

I also think cgc grades thousands of comic books a day. The QC issues we see represent the vast minority of comics graded.  While there is risk,  I feel like that risk is low and I would personally resub.  

I want to sell it eventually, I appreciate this view point. I obviously do not want the book to get damaged if it is handled again, but if it bothers me, I wonder how it may bother a potential buyer.  I have a bad taste in my mouth as this was my very first slabbed book. I've been waiting for years to get my books slabbed. I finally did it and this is what I get back on a walk through. Granted I wouldn't expect anyone to get this back on any book. Sigh :(

Well there IS a potential resale problem. Check CGC's own holder description here: CGC Holder Description

The second point states: 
Superior Preservation and Security
The holder’s sturdy outer plastic better resists impacts. The holder design uses precise pressure to lock the comic in place for enhanced protection, and the hologram affirming authenticity is now hot-­stamped and embedded into the plastic for improved protection and increased security.

Note they specify the hologram helps affirm the authenticity (bold/red mine to make it stand out). So some wag may question the authenticity, either before or, god forbid, after the purchase. I hate to take a "buy the sticker" stance but we all know this kind of thing can happen, especially in venues like eBay.

On 4/22/2023 at 3:21 PM, JennyG13 said:

I want to sell it eventually, I appreciate this view point. I obviously do not want the book to get damaged if it is handled again, but if it bothers me, I wonder how it may bother a potential buyer.  I have a bad taste in my mouth as this was my very first slabbed book. I've been waiting for years to get my books slabbed. I finally did it and this is what I get back on a walk through. Granted I wouldn't expect anyone to get this back on any book. Sigh :(

I'm sorry this happened. I hope CGC makes it right. 

@CGC Mike

• Administrator

@JennyG13  There is a 14 day window to return this by submitting a submission form through the mechanical error option.  Be sure to specify the exact problem.  In this case, you would write the hologram affirming authenticity is scratched.  After submitting the form, a prepaid shipping label with automatically be sent to you through our website.  (not by e-mail)  We will fix this and return it to you at our expense.

On 4/23/2023 at 7:38 AM, CGC Mike said:

@JennyG13  There is a 14 day window to return this by submitting a submission form through the mechanical error option.  Be sure to specify the exact problem.  In this case, you would write the hologram affirming authenticity is scratched.  After submitting the form, a prepaid shipping label with automatically be sent to you through our website.  (not by e-mail)  We will fix this and return it to you at our expense.

I wish I'd known about this when I got a comic back with the cover detached (by CGC). I figured, "it took a year for this comic to get graded, I'm not sending it back for another year to deal with damage". Instead, I ate the cost of the comic, shipping, and the grading fee.

On 4/22/2023 at 10:00 PM, PovertyRow said:

Well there IS a potential resale problem. Check CGC's own holder description here: CGC Holder Description

The second point states: 
Superior Preservation and Security
The holder’s sturdy outer plastic better resists impacts. The holder design uses precise pressure to lock the comic in place for enhanced protection, and the hologram affirming authenticity is now hot-­stamped and embedded into the plastic for improved protection and increased security.

Note they specify the hologram helps affirm the authenticity (bold/red mine to make it stand out). So some wag may question the authenticity, either before or, god forbid, after the purchase. I hate to take a "buy the sticker" stance but we all know this kind of thing can happen, especially in venues like eBay.

Thank you - this is a view point that I am taking seriously.  I do think you are correct that someone could question this. I have a collection that one day, I will sell. Since, I have never sold a comic, I have zero credibility. This is one of the reasons I opted to get my books graded, because CGC comes with some cred and buyers would know what they are getting from me.  Presently, I am going back and forth with CGC customer service and it's hard to say which way this is going to go. I cannot believe this is my first experience with CGC at present. Fingers crossed. 

@CGC Mike thank you for your response and the information. I am presently in communication with customer service.