• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Article about Comic book hoarder’s house buried in vintage collectibles ‘worth millions
1 1

15 posts in this topic

The article refers to an "abandoned" house with quotations marks implying it is not truly an abandoned house. And it doesn't look like an abandoned house, either, from the photos in the article. Did somebody recently pass away and Mr. "Urban Explorer" got the idea to let himself in?

Died 2015 so 8 years maybe uninhabited. Surprised it hasn't been burgled with all those comics laying around. Any house in this country abandoned that long would be emptied and now smell of cat pee and be full of old beer cans and walls spray painted, fast food wrappers everywhere......

Edited by LowGradeBronze

This just happened locally in a rural area. Home owners had 50k comics in the house. House
was condemned. Owner took most valuable books, but left probably 40k books from late Silver
and up. They started demolishing when they found the comics. Called my local shop he took 
two full truck loads of comics home. All books were completely organized and most were very
high grade. He will be sorting these for weeks. 

Im curious about just walking into an abandoned property. Based on a quick google search you still need permission from someone to enter.

Assuming the mortgage was paid in full, somebody must be paying the taxes. And if nobody pays the taxes doesnt it go to the gov't or something?

any insights?

On 4/23/2023 at 4:28 AM, fastballspecial said:

This just happened locally in a rural area. Home owners had 50k comics in the house. House
was condemned. Owner took most valuable books, but left probably 40k books from late Silver
and up. They started demolishing when they found the comics. Called my local shop he took 
two full truck loads of comics home. All books were completely organized and most were very
high grade. He will be sorting these for weeks. 

When you say "This just happened locally...." are you talking about this same house in the video, or a similar tale about a house near you? Either way be happy to hear more :popcorn:

On 4/23/2023 at 6:28 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

When you say "This just happened locally...." are you talking about this same house in the video, or a similar tale about a house near you? Either way be happy to hear more :popcorn:

Similar tale. Guy lived out in sticks. They foreclosed on his house. He took out what he could and left literally 40k in comic or so from late Silver to a ton of 
Bronze & Copper. They started wrecking the house taking stuff to dump and saw the comics. Called my local shop.

On 4/23/2023 at 3:16 PM, fastballspecial said:

Similar tale. Guy lived out in sticks. They foreclosed on his house. He took out what he could and left literally 40k in comic or so from late Silver to a ton of 
Bronze & Copper. They started wrecking the house taking stuff to dump and saw the comics. Called my local shop.

Hope he's giving you a finders fee, to be paid in comics of course! Knowing what 1000 books looks like boxed, I can imagine why he had to leave some behind. They start to take up a lot of space once you have even 3 or 4 thousand books. Let alone 40,000.