• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you guys like this board software?

76 posts in this topic

Overall the site functions pretty well. In fact I think it functions better then most other forums.

What I would like to see -

1. Spell checker for posts and PM's.

2. A better search engine. It just does not cut it most of the time.

3. I am sure how it would appear on other peoples monitors, but somethings a

post is extra long and you have to scroll all the way to left to get a

read of the post. It is a real pain, is there a way to limit this?

I agree with the above. Would be nice to have a spell checker. The search functionality needs to be improved. Screen sizing issues are rather difficult to fix so really nice. I give a 5.0 out of 10. Sorry Arch, even you are not immune to being graded by Timulty, the grading bastiche.

I read up both at the office by day and from home at night... and never log on or off..

BUT, they are never in sync with what I have read or not read. Menaing when I get home, all the threads I read and posted to during the day are still in RED (unread) when I go home.

Can that be fixed without logging on and off all the time?

I like fact it auto jumps you to first post unread

That is a killer feature, and one that is amazingly not present on most BB software.

Overall, I find the forum software to be excellent, with lots of custom options, and have no complaints at all.

That is a killer feature, and one that is amazingly not present on most BB software.

Overall, I find the forum software to be excellent, with lots of custom options, and have no complaints at all.

I'm shocked Joe,you must really be mellowing out in your old age..........now pass the hydro,you bogart........... 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'd prefer that you stay with the same software unless whatever new software you migrate to would allow you to import the old posts. The many years worth of posts here are an important resource for the hobby, and keeping them available and searchable should be a primary consideration in any decision to move to a different setup.

Do you use IE or Firefox? Let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

IE- I guess I am missing something.

You missed this post:

Do you use IE or Firefox? Let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

http://www.iespell.com/

http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/

With both you just right click in the dialog box and spell check. thumbsup2.gif

[i'm shocked Joe,you must really be mellowing out in your old age..........

Not at all, and why in the world would I slam the board software, when I find it works well? screwy.gif

I slam things I dislike and applaud those I do like.

Problem is, if you've visited a main page and don't click on a specific thread, it counts it as "read" even though you didn't.

It shouldn't, if you don't close your browser.

Nice to know. I'm a neat freak closing windows smile.gif

The board software is excellent, much more user-friendly than any other bulletin board I've been been to, most of which are extremely cumbersome. Opening up at the last unread post, and also having the "jump to last unread post" function are awesome.

The only thing I really don't like is how some large scans, or scans put side to side, will expand the width of the pages beyond the screen width. This means that I have to scroll side to side to read posts that follow, which can be painful if there's a lot of text. If there was a way for the board software to automatically squeeze any scans, no matter how high-res, into the normal width of the page, that would be great.

The only thing I really don't like is how some large scans, or scans put side to side, will expand the width of the

I like it the way it is for pictures, but would be willing to compromise if there was something that would "wrap" the text... I would still want to see images in a large scale to see flaws.

[i'm shocked Joe,you must really be mellowing out in your old age..........

Not at all, and why in the world would I slam the board software, when I find it works well? screwy.gif

I slam things I dislike and applaud those I do like.

Don't we all.I enjoy these boards because it allows me to talk with fellow collectors,share knowledge,and learn.I have learned more about this hobby from these boards in a year than I ever learned from a price guide.I think I have bird flu,and the 20lb turkey in my fridge is telling me to sell all my stocks............Happy Thanksgiving everyone.... insane.gif

Please keep the comments coming. I'd like to develop a feel for the consensus. So even if you don't have much to add to what someone else has posted, I'd like to know how you feel.

I'll join in on the Searching function bashers. My most common aggravation is doing a search, forget to specify the appropriate board, go back and get it right and try to search again -- only to be told that I need to wait a while before doing another search. What's up with that? confused-smiley-013.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifsumo.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

As of now when I log on I am sent home. From "My Home" I would like to be able to jump right away to the main list of the cgc boards. Right know you have to select which board you want to go to first. I never visit the other boards so I find this selection annoying.