• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AI generated cover art - yay or nay?
5 5

119 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2023 at 11:54 AM, seanfingh said:

These are scary and awful. 

The AI clearly nailed it. 

To be a Debbie Downer though on all the fun.  AI learns/steals from art created by humans, whether that's writing/visual/etc.  "Art" will soon be even less of a viable career choice than it already is and the artists whose work made the AI output possible will get nothing for it.  The AI "owners" will be the only ones profiting. 

On 5/5/2023 at 5:55 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Create a 1970s style comic book cover of the Amazing Spider-Man swinging between buildings in New York City

image.thumb.jpeg.d401b3a8b5db38af55d429b927ec1cd7.jpeg

I would buy this book.

On 5/5/2023 at 6:55 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Create a 1970s style comic book cover of the Amazing Spider-Man swinging between buildings in New York City

image.thumb.jpeg.d401b3a8b5db38af55d429b927ec1cd7.jpeg

This one is strangely appealing. You have to wonder exactly what is underneath the costume.

I really don't see AI generation improving enough to compete with good covers any time soon. AI understands math and patterns far more than phrases, which is why it's so bad at making people that look like people, especially if it's not meant to look like a photo or oil painting. Plus, while it might spit out what you ask, it never has the consideration for color, composition, detail, and imagery that an artist does. So you'll never get a super desirable, unique, impactful cover like you get from Phil Jimenez or Colleen Doran

On 5/14/2023 at 10:34 PM, goblinjareth said:

I really don't see AI generation improving enough to compete with good covers any time soon. AI understands math and patterns far more than phrases, which is why it's so bad at making people that look like people, especially if it's not meant to look like a photo or oil painting. Plus, while it might spit out what you ask, it never has the consideration for color, composition, detail, and imagery that an artist does. So you'll never get a super desirable, unique, impactful cover like you get from Phil Jimenez or Colleen Doran

I started an AI image thread over here:

img_13_1683984287400.jpg.f0e1083eeef18b39af3ae193e1956483.jpg

What's the Image Comic Book that used Ai for its covers and for the character designs? Saw a few people mention it a few weeks ago. Nothing now.

Edit: it was "the Last Barbarian"

Edited by Jimmy Linguini