• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! Is this mold??!?
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Looks more like a loogie.  The previous owner was probly a smoker and hacked one out on the cover.

The blackish spots would concern me personally. That and I hate ugly stains (small water stains I can live with personally, but this I would be selling/passing on if I had it). The book is one I feel like you can find for a reasonable price in 4.0-6.0 range without such a stain so maybe selling and putting the money towards that is the better approach to guarantee your happiness with it 

On 4/25/2023 at 3:15 AM, Axe Elf said:

Looks more like a loogie.  The previous owner was probly a smoker and hacked one out on the cover.

yuck.gif.083425f525c8a5d52a7838f2e65d2d26.gif

Mold is harmful if you disturb it but Mold needs a couple things to survive.

A cellulose porous surface and moisture if it doesn’t have either it’s harmless and most likely dead. Since the book appears to be in a slab you are in no danger.

In general If you have mold of different colours black, green, red, etc all living next to each other that’s when it’s dangerous because those different strains of mold are releasing spores to kill one another. 

I did mold remediation as a job many years before I got my office Job if that helps. 

If that were my book in the 60's and the folks took me out to eat (Bob's Big Boy, Howard Johnsons, etc.) and I brought the book along to read, I can see me dripping/dropping something on the book, and being a kid, I probably would have said...Ehh. meh

Another one strikes.  A much more mild case of mild, but concerning non the less.   The inner well seems to turn into a terrarium for the right (wrong) books :whatthe::facepalm:

The growth is somewhat mild, and described as "fuzz" extending out of the book, and into the inner well.   The inner well ends up like a petri dish highlighting it.      The graders notes are there to show CGC was on top of the book, and it's issues, but no accounting for growth.   The antimicrobial leaf might have been worth doubling for this book.

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-10 at 19.06.32.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-10 at 19.06.53.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-10 at 19.07.09.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-10 at 19.07.23.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-10 at 19.10.54.jpeg