• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Request Changes to Slab notations HERE
6 6

130 posts in this topic

Second one is LT&MM #147

This one features a Basketball cover with Bugs and Elmer Fudd. Given how the sport is so tied to the Looney Tunes franchise due to the Space Jam film(s) and the commercials leading up to film with Bugs as 'Hare Jordan' with Michael Jordan, i think some iteration of 'Looney Tunes Basketball cover, predates Space Jam' should be on the label. 

Thanks for your consideration. 

Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies #147.jpeg

Hey Mike,

I’d like a label addition made to Bone #4 (published on 3/92 by Cartoon Books) for the 1st appearance of The Hooded One and Kingdok. These are the two primary villains in the series. I’ve been asking for over a decade through email but I never seem to get a response.

The latest slabbed copy I’ve seen is 4225338015 and it was graded on 3/28/23. The only label notation continues to be “Letters from Stan Sakai & Chuck Dixon”. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

On 5/16/2023 at 1:09 PM, eddly said:

Is there a process for requesting for requests for changes to not be implemented? Maybe a separate thread?

The time for that was before some genius updated Amazing Spider-Man #252 with the incorrect "Ties with Marvel Team-Up #141 for" first black costume. Those notes used to be correct and now, for many years, they haven't been.

But they really shouldn't be making changes without research and correct information, so why would anyone want to stop them?

On 5/16/2023 at 4:35 PM, Lazyboy said:

The time for that was before some genius updated Amazing Spider-Man #252 with the incorrect "Ties with Marvel Team-Up #141 for" first black costume. Those notes used to be correct and now, for many years, they haven't been.

But they really shouldn't be making changes without research and correct information, so why would anyone want to stop them?

Some changes, such as an extreme situation of changing Wolverine's 1st appearance to #180, would have significant financial ramifications. I just want a bit of transparency in terms of what CGC will do with these requests for changes that they receive. Will they reject some?

On 5/17/2023 at 8:35 AM, Lazyboy said:

I had a change done - took 4 weeks and was genuinely reviewed by an expert on the genre. 

The change was approved, with reasons given, inc referring to other people with huge knowledge of the subject.

It certainly didn't get reviewed by the office junior.

• Administrator

Here's the results from the first batch that I have sent to the team.  The response is in red text.

1. Tim Holt #30 has a connection with the Zodiac Killer. I would like to see something notated on the label to reflect that. It probably got a disproportionate amount of media coverage due to the 'link' to the ZK.

This is something that we would not update our label for mainly because it is not within the purview of information that we notate but also because it is still speculation that it is indeed related.

1.  There is a notation for Elainna Grayson on Batman Beyond #25, which I'm grateful for, but I've tried and had no faithful notation for when she becomes Batwoman Beyond, which most assume is #37. I'm confident and mailed in with my book a request, to no avail, and yet there may be reasons for that, that are unknown to us when we receive the no notation label back.

This has now been updated.

1. I believe the 1st appearance of Ben Urich should be noted.  Daredevil #153.

1.  How's about 1st appearance of Codpiece in Doom Patrol #70 on the label? 

For a character who made a single appearance in the 90s, the notation seems unnecessary.

1. Star Wars #68 (1983)   appearance of planet Mandalore.   

1.  Action Comics #900 is incorrectly dated as May 2011, it should be June 2011.

This is an instance where the indicia date (5/21) differs from the date on the cover (6/21), which happens perhaps more than you might think. In such instances, CGC tends to go with the cover date, but in this case the person who entered the book into our system relied on the indica.  I have now changed the date listing to match the date on the cover, as is CGC's usual stance.

1. New Avengers #35 (2007)

"Venomized" Wolverine cover. "Venomized" characters in story.

The reason CGC labels certain issues as "Venomized" covers is that the publisher itself labels them so on the cover, as one of its many "theme month" variant covers.  This particular issue's cover is not part of a theme month and therefore doesn't need a special notation.

8.  Doom Patrol #64 (3/93)

Should be Rachel Pollack story, not Grant Morrison story ('Rachel Pollack storyline begins' could also be added, but her run mightn't be considered as notable as Morrison's)

'1st issue under Vertigo Imprint' could also be noted here, Sandman #47 (03/93) & Hellblazer #63 (03/93) have this key note

9.  Shock Suspenstories #4 E.C Comics (1952) - USED IN SOTI (Mentioned in text, p. 387, 388 as per lostsoti.org)

Moon Knight #12 (1981) 1st appearance of Morpheus, a man who turned into a monster after ingesting an experimental drug meant to cure a virus

Moon Knight #14 (1981) 1st appearance and origin of Stained Glass Scarlet, a former nun who became a vigilante 

These have now been updated.

1.   ROM #31's notations are already extensive, but it might be worth adding that it is Rogue's 2nd appearance (tied with X-Men #158).

Having an appearance in a book "tie" with another book from the same month complicates things and makes notating such things lengthy. We feel that along as this character's 1st appearance is notated properly, that is sufficient.

1. Brave and the Bold 28: 1st cover appearance of Aquaman and Martian Manhunter.

1.  I'm not sure if it counts as "notation", but can I get a variant name changed?

I'm looking for Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard v3 #1 "Variant Cover" to be changed to Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard v3 #1 "Pérez Variant Cover" to match the "Ramos Variant Cover" and "Muller Variant Cover". I let customer service know about this twice while my book was at CGC but no one seemed to get the memo.

It wouldn't be a huge deal, but since these books are in magazine cases which seem to only get two lines of artist info instead of three, the cover artist is almost always cut off as its on line 3.  Also, the standard cover for this issue does not note that it is a Wraparound cover, despite being a wraparound cover.

The way CGC names variant covers would in this case entail keeping this particular variant name as simply "Variant Cover". However, the point about the bottom Art Comment (cover credit line) line being cut off due to the book being placed in a magazine holder is certainly valid.  As such, I have moved the cover artist's credit to the Key Comment field, as is sometimes done with regular magazine entries.

1.  Would love for Red Claw to get the same recognition that other animated series debuts get (Harley Quinn, Livewire, Roxy Rocket)
    Batman: Gotham Adventures 3 (1998) - 1st appearance of Red Claw in comics (out of DC continuity)
    Catwoman 43 (2022) - 1st appearance of Red Claw in DC Universe continuity

1.   X-Force #11

"1st appearance of "real" Domino, (Neena Thurman)."

Please remove this note. The real Domino appeared in X-Force #8, which obviously came before #11.

This can be chalked up to semantics, as to how flashbacks apply to appearances, particularly when the character in question hasn't been introduced yet (at least, not as an imposter). We prefer to keep the notation for these books as is.

15.  Wonder Woman 205 comments state “Origin of Nubia”. This is incorrect.

Wonder Woman 206 is Nubia’s Origin (and the comments for 206 correctly note this).

While “Who Is Nubia” is written on the cover of 205, the issue is not the origin issue.

1.   Sable 19

I currently have a copy submitted for a SS with Adam Hughes. It’s been said that this cover is an uncredited AH cover. How about CGC ask AH if in fact he drew it or not. From the horses mouth to the updated label.

An inquiry has been sent to XXXX

1.  Ok, I have two request (for now) that I think should be noted on these two Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies Comics issues.

First up is LT&MMC #18 (Apr, 1943), This is the WWII cover featuring Bugs Bunny in a Marines uniform. Currently the label notes 'WWII cover".

The issue actually 'commemorates' Bugs being made an 'Honorary Marine master sergeant' by the U.S. Marines because of the classic patriotic 1942 short "Super-Rabbit".

I feel some 'iteration' of this acknowledgement should be worked into the notes as Dell comics seems to be 'celebrating' this with this cover. 

Second one is LT&MM #147

This one features a Basketball cover with Bugs and Elmer Fudd. Given how the sport is so tied to the Looney Tunes franchise due to the Space Jam film(s) and the commercials leading up to film with Bugs as 'Hare Jordan' with Michael Jordan, i think some iteration of 'Looney Tunes Basketball cover, predates Space Jam' should be on the label. 

As with a previous request, this is not really in the purview of information that we typically notate.

Here is one that idk about but it makes sense to me is 1st black flash....

You have the 1st cameo as flash #138...

However I've never seen a slab of the first full, which cgc has traditionally followed up with after a first cameo ???

Most are assuming that it is #141 as there are several cameos from #138 to #141 where he is prominent and in the cover  ???

And yet nothing in the label?

Screenshot_20230518-175351.png

Screenshot_20230518-175448.png

This is going to sound hum drum as well, but here goes:

2nd appearances of Deadpool and Harley Quinn in continuity? Ie x-force #2 and Batman #570?

Would be nice to nail those down, as they've been touted as such for so long, might as well get in on it to substantiate?

Imo, but idk both are really modern, and idk that 2nd app get notated that much on those, but bare in mind, it's been 30 years hm

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Star Wars: The High Republic #1 (Marvel Comics, 12/22) - 1st appearance of Vildar Mac, Matthea Cathley, Oliviah Zeveron, and Tey Sirrek in comics.

All are main characters in this run, thanks.

On 5/8/2023 at 8:59 AM, Junkdrawer said:

Sable 19

i currently have a copy submitted for a SS with Adam Hughes. It’s been said that this cover is an uncredited AH cover. How about CGC ask AH if in fact he drew it or not. From the horses mouth to the updated label.

Thanks for updating. 

IMG_4218.jpeg

@CGC Mike

Can we add star wars #5 mace windu

As

The first in continuity of Ashoka

It's being sold for a long time as such, and promoted also as such by other media, would be nice to confirm with cgc. :)

Ill see about adding this thread to best in comics general to avoid pinning threads ...